DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Dec 12, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #10,201 of 10,359
One question: I read in a recently-dated review last night that iBasso removed the Mango OS boot-up mode that cuts out all the Android stuff - is that true or nonsense?
I just tested Mango OS on 2.07 firmware and it boots right into it, with the track it was playing before power off.

Regarding pocketabality:
-pants pocket: dislike
-hoodie pocket: dislike
-coat/jacket pocket: fine
-blazer pocket: dislike
-arm band (large): workable
-chest pouch: fine
-hip pouch: fine

My main use is on desk at work, and bedside at home (for sleep, full-sized headphones). Also I use DX320's bluetooth DAC mode with my phone for watching movies on phone.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #10,202 of 10,359
I just tested Mango OS on 2.07 firmware and it boots right into it, with the track it was playing before power off.

Regarding pocketabality:

My main use is on desk at work, and bedside at home (for sleep, full-sized headphones). Also I use DX320's bluetooth DAC mode with my phone for watching movies on phone.
Agreed.

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #10,203 of 10,359
Some great thoughts and I appreciate those who've taken time to post them, and thanks for your detailed and thoughtful post, samandhi. It's genuinely helpful to know you carry your DX300 in your pockets every day. The DX170 is an interesting out-the-box suggestion, though if I were changing I don't know if it would be right for me over the more dedicated DTR1+.

The pocketability aspect of the 320 is clearly subjective as it's obviously borderline, which is what I thought when I tested that aspect of it. And the perspective point made just above factors in, too.

I have a lot of sympathy for jamato8's perspective of prioritising sound over convenience. Obviously if it were by miles too big to put in a pocket that would be different, but when it's borderline and as someone who is obviously into the sound, I can appreciate that perspective ...though agree to disagree on walking - yes it's going to be inherently safer with no phones in, but whether there's actually appreciable danger depends on the person, where they live, what environment they walk in; and if you're going on regular walks (say if you have a dog) it can get old, and having entertainment is very welcome. Plus walking through beautiful countryside with music playing is a transcendent experience. I would say I don't walk as much right now, as my dog is basically too old, but that will change in future (much as I don't want to think about it).

There's been a range of opinions in the thread to match my vacillation, and there's no correct answer of course. Yesterday morning I was on the Dethonray; right now I'm feeling the extra sonic flexibility and battery life of the iBasso are worth the size increase, and that maybe the Dethonray would be too relaxed for me to get easily pulled into e.g. some lively, multi-layered prog epic (though maybe this can be countered with lively IEMs). I think I have made some progress though, which is that I've eliminated the "keep the Cowon" option.

One question: I read in a recently-dated review last night that iBasso removed the Mango OS boot-up mode that cuts out all the Android stuff - is that true or nonsense?
You are certainly welcome. I only hope it didn't actually add to the confusion?! :)

They did NOT remove it... Both Android and Mango OS (based on Linux) are available. You already know what android is, and Mango OS has one sole purpose; that is to play music. No wifi, BT, etc... to get in the way.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #10,204 of 10,359

Regarding pocketabality:

I like it in the back pocket of my pants. Otherwise, I tend to agree. This device is pretty heavy. You really want to keep it somewhere where the heft is not noticeable.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #10,205 of 10,359
On a completely different note, just to share: listening to some old school 70's & 80's rock (Thin Lizzy studio sessions amongst others) with an Ultrasone Pro900i and the DX320 with AMP13.
It is such a rewarding experience and provides a totally different perspective of 'Audiophile': even though I'm streaming, it just feels so utterly analog. The signature of the Ultrasone somehow has a very nice synergy with the Nutube's. I can almost smell the old studio.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #10,206 of 10,359
On a completely different note, just to share: listening to some old school 70's & 80's rock (Thin Lizzy studio sessions amongst others) with an Ultrasone Pro900i and the DX320 with AMP13.
It is such a rewarding experience and provides a totally different perspective of 'Audiophile': even though I'm streaming, it just feels so utterly analog. The signature of the Ultrasone somehow has a very nice synergy with the Nutube's. I can almost smell the old studio.
This is the same sort of experience that I get from the iBasso IT-07 with the Amp13 card. I love it.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #10,207 of 10,359
Update for those who might be interested: I got annoyed with my own interminable dithering and realised there's no harm in keeping the iBasso and getting the Dethonray in the future and having two DAPs (or selling one ultimately). So I'm charging it now and looking forward a great deal to listening to some music on it. Am slightly skeptical of the burn in thing, but will do it anyway just because... but will not be able to wait until 100 hours plus to listen to it, or indeed beyond later tonight. :smirk: Looking forward to having fun with it.

Thanks to those who gave thoughtful advice - great community here. Enjoy your music everyone.

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #10,208 of 10,359
Update for those who might be interested: I got annoyed with my own interminable dithering and realised there's no harm in keeping the iBasso and getting the Dethonray in the future and having two DAPs (or selling one ultimately). So I'm charging it now and looking forward a great deal to listening to some music on it. Am slightly skeptical of the burn in thing, but will do it anyway just because... but will not be able to wait until 100 hours plus to listen to it, or indeed beyond later tonight. :smirk: Looking forward to having fun with it.

Thanks to those who gave thoughtful advice - great community here. Enjoy your music everyone.
Just listening to it is also "burning it in", so believer or not, it still gets done. I would just enjoy it. Though it was indeed thoughtful of iBasso to include a burn in cable for the purpose anyhow.

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #10,209 of 10,359
Excellent suggestions..I got leather pouch made for waist belt for DX 320 which is discrete etc.Yes sonically it is superb sounding..For daily use & not worrying about size I have Lotoo PAW 6000

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #10,210 of 10,359
I've been letting my DX320 burn in for a number of hours each day, and listening in the evenings. It's sounding generally great. I've been using mainly my Moondrop Arias and Shure SRH1540. I've also tried the HiFIMan RE600s a few times but, despite their greater price over the Moondrops, I generally find the latter more fun and engaging.

Might post some more detailed listening impressions soon, but in the meantime I have a question for you guys: how do you decide on gain settings? I had my IEMs on medium at first, but then realised that I could play them on low and get a good listening volume still without going over 2/3 - 3/4 of the total volume.

Similarly I tested out my new Dali Katch G2 speaker last night, and quickly decided that high gain was unnecessary for it.

Finally, I dropped my Shure cans from high to medium last night, again still achieving a decent volume without getting too close to the max, but part of my brain thought there was a little more energy and definition on high with them. I believe as cans go, they are not too hard to drive, so maybe that was in my head.

Basically, do you agree with the rule of thumb that if you can listen at a decent volume without having to max out or get close to maxing out, you are on the right gain? Or can going up a gain level sometimes add some zest to the phones/speaker even if the level down is technically loud enough?

Does low on the Moondrop Aria and medium on the Shures and Dali Katch sound right?

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #10,211 of 10,359
Basically, do you agree with the rule of thumb that if you can listen at a decent volume without having to max out or get close to maxing out, you are on the right gain?

Yes. If you are getting comfortable loudness at ~60 or less on Low, stick with Low. Then increase gain as needed - my understanding is lower gain => lower distortion vs higher gain, same loudness.

From my memory - for my Sony IER-Z1R (40 Ohm), I'm usually around 50 Low Gain, HD600 (300 Ohm) I'm at 60 Low Gain, T1 Gen 1 (600 Ohm), I'm at ~50 High Gain.

Having said that, no harm trying other gain settings and listen for any differences - for me I don't hear it.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #10,212 of 10,359
Friends, I've a question on Amp13.

I have Amp11.2 and Amp14, 90% of the time on Amp14 + IER-Z1R and combo sounds great! Now, for my Beyer T1 OG (my first "top-tier HP from 2015"), I'm thinking either to:
  1. Re-terminate to 4.4mm BAL to use with Amp14.. (gotta buy Pentaconn 4.4mm plug and solder it myself)
  2. Or... buy Amp13? Obviously, #2 is easier but more expensive..
  3. (unlikely) Get external amp and use Amp14's LO e.g. I've heard good things and reviewers using Cayin C9
Question is: how does Amp13 sound vs Amp14? I've read it's more "intimate/less airy/smaller sound stage but less clinical, slower bass". I'm looking to mellow out T1's bright signature and Amp11.2 doesn't help with that.. Can I really hear difference between two amp cards with different Korg Nutubes implementations?

All insights welcome. Thx :)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #10,213 of 10,359
Finally, I dropped my Shure cans from high to medium last night, again still achieving a decent volume without getting too close to the max, but part of my brain thought there was a little more energy and definition on high with them. I believe as cans go, they are not too hard to drive, so maybe that was in my head.

Basically, do you agree with the rule of thumb that if you can listen at a decent volume without having to max out or get close to maxing out, you are on the right gain? Or can going up a gain level sometimes add some zest to the phones/speaker even if the level down is technically loud enough?

Does low on the Moondrop Aria and medium on the Shures and Dali Katch sound right?
My understanding has been that adjusting gain levels amplifies the signal. E.g., higher gain settings will make the sound louder, might increase background noise, will reduce control over volume for sensitive IEMs, can potentially modify the sound sig, (not saying that low gain always = more accurate representation).

If you perceived "added zest" when increasing gain and preferred it, possibly (assuming it's not placebo):
(1) the synergy between the DX320 on that gain level and the Shure SRH1540 happens to be the more accurate representation of those cans; or
(2) the representation, while not accurate, matches your listening preferences without skewing tonality enough to be a problem; or
(3) softer sounds more audible and happening to emphasize certain frequencies in this pairing that feels like added excitement/contrast/dynamics.

Adjusting gain may or may not change the sound, but if you heard a difference, then it's a matter of choosing the one you like more.

Considering the DX320's substantial power output on balanced mode, the standard assumption would lean toward using medium gain for the Shure SRH1540 and low gain for the Moondrop Aria. This is an assumption and not necessarily true, and may not be your preference.

Example: It is not possible to use high gain with the V16 Divinity unless I want to lose my hearing.:L3000: (I listen with volume at 1 (lowest) even when not on high gain with my V16)

The unbalanced output on the DX320 sounds great to my ears, so for highly sensitive IEMs, if low gain doesn't give enough control over volume, I use the unbalanced output. Each pairing could be different due to different synergies, so if you do hear a difference, just trust your ears/preferences.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #10,214 of 10,359
High gain is just unity gain, in other words, the normal output from the amp. The other gain options have a resistor to ground and in the signal path to reduce unity gain. I most always prefer unity gain because of the sound, more dynamic and better bass and not because it is louder since it is adjusted to the same level as using a lower gain option. If I am using IEMs then I reduce the volume. I prefer the signal not to go through another resistor to my IEMs or headphones. But let you ears guide you and do what meets your needs.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #10,215 of 10,359
High gain is just unity gain, in other words, the normal output from the amp. The other gain options have a resistor to ground and in the signal path to reduce unity gain. I most always prefer unity gain because of the sound, more dynamic and better bass and not because it is louder since it is adjusted to the same level as using a lower gain option. If I am using IEMs then I reduce the volume. I prefer the signal not to go through another resistor to my IEMs or headphones. But let you ears guide you and do what meets your needs.
I could be wrong but I think the DAP has to specify that high gain is unity gain or else high gain could be just for boosting signal. Personally, I didn't read the manual for the DX320 so I wouldn't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back