DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Nov 3, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #10,126 of 10,359
It would be great to refocus and have more users comparison feedback about their experience with Amps 11-12-13-14... :)
I use AMP 14 a lot. I like the true line out and the musicality of the amp section. I have it on most of the time now.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #10,128 of 10,359
It would be great to refocus and have more users comparison feedback about their experience with Amps 11-12-13-14... :)
I auditioned it in AMP 14, bought it with that module, preferring the stock AMP 11 speed to AMP 14. Swapping out to AMP 14 and then recently switching out to the AMP 12. Have not heard the AMP 13 yet. Right now I like AMP 12 the most.

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #10,129 of 10,359
You marked me so will answer.

First of all, the perfect circle exists only as an idea. There is no perfect anything in real, physical world.
I undestand your emotional attachment and passion. You love your music and you get angry when you spend a lot of money on an equipment and in the end you still feel emotionally detached from your favourite songs.
After dx320 and this infamous M8 :stuck_out_tongue:, ive tried many other sources (ended up with a used AK sp1000- love its reference, clear, smooth and spacious sound), i can say one thing: the source matters waaaay less than the transducer.

After trying/having some great iems in the last year, like Mest 2, u12t, Meteor, Odin, Annihilator and many more and trying many sources and still missing this special feeling with my music i was ready to give up, sell everything and just go wireless path with Samsung buds 2 pro (which sound amazing btw).

My last try was the Softears Twilight and im back on track listening and feeling the music like never before. I cant wait for the next day to wake up and push the play button.

Still kept the Monarch 2 even tho i practically dont use them anymore (i still think they are OBJECTIVELY the best iems/headphones ive heard).

I have some advice for you: dont pay too much attention to what people write/say and dont get too emotionally attached to your equipment because your preferences/tastes change all the time. One day you love warmer sound and two weeks later you would like to have something more reference/neutral.

Just get a good quality source and 2 pairs of different iems/headphones.
I'll add to this, sound changes from ear to ear, to me the wm1a with FW mods is superior to anything I've heard so far (dx320, ifi diablo, r2r2000 modded, hm1000, n6ii with all motherboards) but the next person can say the exact opposite.

Once you find your sound PLEASE stick to it, if you only feel the itch to buy when you scroll on headfi, that's a sign you found the one and that you're about to make a mistake.

The two iems/headphones part is definitely true, you really don't need an insane amount of gear for every single genres etc.

Even a single IEM can play all your music perfectly if you find something you love.

Last point is that "power" is blown out of proportion. atleast when it comes to iems/non-super hard to drive headphones, even the wm1a on 3.5mm pushed the dt990 pro 250ohm and made them sing.

Comparing the wm1a to the dx320 with my planar iems and mdr 1am2, the wm1a not only sounded better but clearly had plenty of power left for volume.

I can only imagine full sized planars being powered better by the dx320 and at that point, why buy portable gear?
There's no way you'll go outside with those huge openback planars.

You can find different gear that'll fit that niche better such as transportable daps (fiio m17 etc).

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #10,133 of 10,359
What about noise interference (WiFi or BT) with Amp14 ?
It seems that Amp13 suffer from those issues.
Quite bad actually. I can even hear the hiss through the music. Amp 14 has certain qualities. I like it for the slightly more airiness over the stock Amp 11. But the trade-off is the hiss near wifi nodes as well as a “slower” bass.

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #10,134 of 10,359
What about noise interference (WiFi or BT) with Amp14 ?
It seems that Amp13 suffer from those issues.
Amp14 is much better than the Amp13 for RFI noise. Yes, if you keep your cellphone right next to it, or are close to your WiFi router, you will get interference. However, if you understand that tubes are sensitive to RF and take minor precautions, you'll have insignificant noise. The Amp13 on the other hand is nearly impossible to use with streaming.

Nov 4, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #10,135 of 10,359
Amp14 is much better than the Amp13 for RFI noise. Yes, if you keep your cellphone right next to it, or are close to your WiFi router, you will get interference. However, if you understand that tubes are sensitive to RF and take minor precautions, you'll have insignificant noise. The Amp13 on the other hand is nearly impossible to use with streaming.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep using AMP12 and wait for the next tube generation...

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #10,136 of 10,359
The fact that AMP 13 is near "impossible" to use wifi with wifi (without the noise) is not what i experienced (at all !)
I use wifi through phone sharing, when he's like 20 cm away it's dead silent

I think (supposition) that the big soundstage (that are very palpable through the expansion of synths and voices) and the very dense and smooth sound are the two big good sounds caracteristic one would get from it

As I said, even the WM1Z M2 doesn't reach this level both in stage and in smoothness (and it's THAT obvious to ear)

I did never thought that it would be that different and was very reluctant to try

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #10,137 of 10,359
The fact that AMP 13 is near "impossible" to use wifi with wifi (without the noise) is not what i experienced (at all !)
I use wifi through phone sharing, when he's like 20 cm away it's dead silent

I think (supposition) that the big soundstage (that are very palpable through the expansion of synths and voices) and the very dense and smooth sound are the two big good sounds caracteristic one would get from it

As I said, even the WM1Z M2 doesn't reach this level both in stage and in smoothness (and it's THAT obvious to ear)

I did never thought that it would be that different and was very reluctant to try
Consider yourself fortunate you don't have RFI noise.

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #10,138 of 10,359
I never got the noise with my amp13 or 14 now.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #10,140 of 10,359
Hello,
Just one Question. The DX320 has 64 Volume Steps which seems to me too little. How fine can I adjust the Volume with sensitive IEMs like Andromeda especially on the Balanced Output?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back