DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Apr 16, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #9,601 of 10,359
I wonder if firmware could be used to address the unevenness of the battery drainage of the DX320/X. Specifically, if the software could be “ flipped “ and updated to prioritize the digital battery instead of the analog battery, since the digital reaches 0% twice as frequently/fast as the analog? As it stands, the analog battery is programmed as the priority and as the primary 🤔 Real world usage, the digital battery is the primary battery, so it should have priority. Again, as it stands, it’s the complete opposite. The analog battery is being treated as the primary and priority 🤔 Also concerning is the battery health of the analog battery b/c it’s being cycle charged over and over again while it’s at 40% or more of its capacity 🏥
D6F222C8-BD9E-4C1D-992C-4E5F42E5C46B.jpeg

That is a very good suggestion.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #9,602 of 10,359
That is a very good suggestion.
I bought, received & installed Amp 14 this past week Thursday. The analog/amp battery finally zeroed out 👍🏽 So, as others have mentioned, appears the batteries are optimised for the 13 & 14 tube amp modules. That said, I’m still guessing there might still be some life cycle & battery health advantage(s) to being able to toggle, prioritize or select the digital battery as the primary when it’s at a disadvantage, be it tube or SS.

Beyond the aforementioned, I went into the device menu and zeroed the screen brightness & set the idle screen timer to blackout in 15 secs. I also killed other digital gremlins where possible. I’m guessing those hacks also helped me to achieve 🪫🪫 instead of 🔋🪫.

I’m still currently enjoying Amp 14 🔊👍🏽, so it’ll be another tube sesh’ b4 I switch back to SS for battery life comparison 👨🏽‍🔬

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #9,603 of 10,359
A question to everyone. Does the dx320 have the original protective glass glued on? If so, I think it's a cracked protective glass. The LCD is not as damaged when it falls from a small height onto something flat. It could be a sharp object or a fall on a sharp "rock".

Apr 16, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #9,604 of 10,359
I bought, received & installed Amp 14 this past week Thursday. The analog/amp battery finally zeroed out 👍🏽 So, as others have mentioned, appears the batteries are optimised for the 13 & 14 tube amp modules. That said, I’m still guessing there might still be some life cycle & battery health advantage(s) to being able to toggle, prioritize or select the digital battery as the primary when it’s at a disadvantage, be it tube or SS.

Beyond the aforementioned, I went into the device menu and zeroed the screen brightness & set the idle screen timer to blackout in 15 secs. I also killed other digital gremlins where possible. I’m guessing those hacks also helped me to achieve 🪫🪫 instead of 🔋🪫.

I’m still currently enjoying Amp 14 🔊👍🏽, so it’ll be another tube sesh’ b4 I switch back to SS for battery life comparison 👨🏽‍🔬
I've noticed that with AMP13 battery drain during listening sessions is much more even, especially when using the output that provides more power. However, this only applies in Android mode. When I switched to Mango exclusive mode, I once again saw greater drain on the digital battery. I thought using Mango would have lesser load on the digital battery because Android isn't running.

Apr 16, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #9,605 of 10,359
Hi all,

I am new with DX320 and have a few basic questions.

- it comes with Android 11 but does it get an update to Android 12?
- how's the battery life?
- how's apple music hi-res streaming on this device?

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #9,606 of 10,359
I double checked. It's definitely the display, but here's a pic nonetheless. Taking the pic, the damage is actually worse than I realized! Super bummed about this, but also it's a phone and it fell like 18 inches. Doesn't seem like it just destroy the screen like that.
Yeah looks like the actual screen :frowning2: So sorry and hope Ibasso can help you sort it out..

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #9,607 of 10,359
Hi all,

Welcome to the club!

To answer your questions:

- It is unlikely that iBasso will upgrade to Android 12 due to the amount of custom development for audio quality
- Battery life is not the strongest feature of the DX320 as the battery system is designed for audio quality.
- I use Apple Music only on DX320 and it works fine and can play all of the hi res files that Apple supports.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #9,608 of 10,359
Welcome to the club!

To answer your questions:

- It is unlikely that iBasso will upgrade to Android 12 due to the amount of custom development for audio quality
- Battery life is not the strongest feature of the DX320 as the battery system is designed for audio quality.
- I use Apple Music only on DX320 and it works fine and can play all of the hi res files that Apple supports.
I think you are right, but I don't think it is the battery system that is at fault here. It is the DAC chips that they decided to go with as a replacement for the CS chips (four of them) that were originally in the DX300. The Rohm chips are just much less efficient. That same exact design on the DX300 can get up to 16+ hours of playtime (8-10 when using the Amp13 Nutube card).

And, I wouldn't put it past iBasso to upgrade to android 12. They just recently upgraded the DX300 to android 11, and it has been discontinued for however long the DX320 has been out. :)

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #9,609 of 10,359
I personally would want DAP manufacturers to give me the absolute price of:
  • no packaging other than necessary to ship
  • no cables
  • no case
  • no chargers
  • no gorilla glass
  • no paper instructions
  • no exotic materials
  • no limited edition
Basically nothing where I can't take responsibility of my own actions and choices. And even if I didn't have confidence in my own actions, I can take the savings and purchase 3rd party insurance. I just don't want to subsidize other owners of the same device who are not as frugal as I am. Yes, that's not very friendly to say, but there is nothing stopping those who disagree from purchasing their own 3rd party insurance or if others feel so inclined, juste send those unfortunate souls a donation.
Everyone is already paying a subsidy as part of the purchase price ...

Apr 16, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #9,610 of 10,359
Hi all,

I’m an Ibasso DAP newbie too, but I’ll take a whack at your questions. 1) It’s highly unlikely that the DX320/X will be upgraded to Android 12. Never say never though 🤷🏽‍♂️ 2) The player has two batts. One is 2000 mah, the other is 4000. Battery life is subjective. Depends upon the user. Nonetheless. I used my player, OFF & ON, yesterday from 8 AM until 9 PM b4 it flatlined 🪫 3) SQ is subjective. It depends upon too many variables to speak upon it objectively, if you ask me 😩 Nonetheless 😄, in my experience, all of what I prefer to listen to is only available at “ 320 kbps “ 🥴 I have yet to see artists like “ Sosari “ available for stream, purchase/DL at 1411 kbps, let alone 9216 kbps 🤣 So perhaps some users from Tidal or Qobuz, can check in to assist with that part of your question.

Oh well, hope this helps. Wish I could offer more, but again, I’m stumbling through this hobby myself 😃

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #9,611 of 10,359
I think I saw @Paul - iBasso posted somewhere that they are working on android 12, just not a priority, and he isnt sure when it will get a release.

Batteries last just about as long as other DAP, the only bad thing is that the back has glued on, which make batteries replacement not as friendly as could be. This problem is solved with Dx320Max, similar to Dx200/220, just some screws and new packs and you are done. What sets Ibasso apart is the customer services and the output power, it is always more powerful than many other DaPs out there

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #9,612 of 10,359
Everyone is already paying a subsidy as part of the purchase price ...
True, there will always be the "core" features that everyone wants, but then the users start to get splintered into those like me that only want to pay for what I need (Liberty Mutual LOL) while others want more and more included. At least iBasso doesn't do what Apple does - remove all accessories and charge you more. Unfortunately, the DAP market is too small for manufacturers to offer multiple configurations of the same core hardware. At least with iBasso, the swappable amp modules go a long way to allow personal choice for a reasonable cost.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #9,613 of 10,359
True, there will always be the "core" features that everyone wants, but then the users start to get splintered into those like me that only want to pay for what I need (Liberty Mutual LOL) while others want more and more included. At least iBasso doesn't do what Apple does - remove all accessories and charge you more. Unfortunately, the DAP market is too small for manufacturers to offer multiple configurations of the same core hardware. At least with iBasso, the swappable amp modules go a long way to allow personal choice for a reasonable cost.
I agree. More modular would be cool, too, like upgrading ram, swapping batteries-- like a PC. I know that isn't really cost effective, given how small DAP companies tend to be vs PC manufacturers.

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #9,615 of 10,359
size of the Ram why not but especially the size of internal storage and the possibility of easily changing the battery
Seems like it could all be done relatively easily. We already have the amps. What if the whole motherboard could slide out like that so you could upgrade components? That would be pretty rad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back