DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Mar 4, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #9,076 of 10,355
Session/Build time! Great time for Amp 14

Attachments

• 5ABAC80A-A26C-4F33-9DDD-BD21A3BA7AC8.jpeg
    5ABAC80A-A26C-4F33-9DDD-BD21A3BA7AC8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #9,077 of 10,355
I just noticed that it also happens when a track starts downloading. Looks like the Software really has a problem if something else happens in the background when playing music like switching track, different bitrate, downloading etc. But like I said, this doesn’t happen on my Sony.

Feels like the Sony implements some kind of exclusive mode with real-time priority to music. No matter what you do, even if the app UI hangs (which happened once) the music continues playing without any interruption lol.

Try increasing the cache within Apple’s Music app, mine is set at 2gb and I have not experienced popping issues.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #9,078 of 10,355
Mar 5, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #9,081 of 10,355
First impressions of FW 2.06 is that it is quite good. Sound signature retains a splash of warmth without bleeding into the mid base region. Base is now noticeably tighter and more textured, there is more definition in bass notes. Amp 14 is now proving to be formidable down to around 40hz, there is no more rumble, just nice rounded thumps that sound like they are from large full size 15” bass woofers.

I am finding warmth changes progressively between low gain to high gain with low retaining the most warmth. High gain is where I am hearing the presence region and air around notes that is somewhat subdued in lower gains, but across the board still much better than FW 2.05.

One observation is that the DAP started sounding better after a few power cycles, restarting didn’t change sound performance, but full on/off cycles did make a noticeable difference. Your mileage may vary but that was my experience.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #9,082 of 10,355
First impressions of FW 2.06 is that it is quite good. Sound signature retains a splash of warmth without bleeding into the mid base region. Base is now noticeably tighter and more textured, there is more definition in bass notes. Amp 14 is now proving to be formidable down to around 40hz, there is no more rumble, just nice rounded thumps that sound like they are from large full size 15” bass woofers.

I am finding warmth changes progressively between low gain to high gain with low retaining the most warmth. High gain is where I am hearing the presence region and air around notes that is somewhat subdued in lower gains, but across the board still much better than FW 2.05.

One observation is that the DAP started sounding better after a few power cycles, restarting didn’t change sound performance, but full on/off cycles did make a noticeable difference. Your mileage may vary but that was my experience.

Hmmm ... Nope still waiting it out. But glad its working out for you. Are you saying that there is more tom foolery in the sound department when you had to power cycle a few times? Hmmm ... yeah I'm still good on 2.0.3 thanks for the info :)

Mar 5, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #9,083 of 10,355
Hmmm ... Nope still waiting it out. But glad its working out for you. Are you saying that there is more tom foolery in the sound department when you had to power cycle a few times? Hmmm ... yeah I'm still good on 2.0.3 thanks for the info :)

The sound was initially very bright even after successive restarts; 2 power cycles had that sorted out. A factory reset was done prior to the update to 2.06.

Mar 5, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #9,084 of 10,355
Just had a session with the ER4XR and it was a smile inducing experience. Headphones/earphones tuned to the Harman curve will excel with the new Amp14 tuning. That combo has not put a foot wrong today.

Mar 5, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #9,085 of 10,355
I tried a modified HD650 with amp 14. I’ve never heard a DAP that I felt could do justice to the 650, and only one extremely powerful portable amp that I felt could. With the 320 and amp 14, the 650 sang beautifully. I’ll still probably run it more often with the 660 because it’s an easier load to drive, but I am very impressed. Really the only transducer I haven’t liked with this is the Campfire Vega.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #9,087 of 10,355
I changed to a Kinera cable and inserted the Vegas only as far as needed to get a clear seal, and now it’s also sounding a lot more clear. Maybe it is burn in on the amp 14 or it’s the cable change or both, but now all the transducers I’ve tried with the 320 sound great.

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #9,089 of 10,355
I felt the same. I might try the 2 power cycles suggested and if it doesn’t change will go back to 2.05.
IIRC @jamato8 ran into this with an earlier FW (or something similar), and I think it took something like 5 power cycles that worked for him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back