DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Feb 15, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #8,716 of 10,359
So I have no issues with amp14 on the DX320 non X. No hiccups, glitches, or issues. Same with the amp13 and the DX320 X. Both work flawlessly.

It must be the Liquid Metal faceplate allows just enough separation to cause an issue. I see no way to adjust the LM faceplate. I’m not excited about modifying either the amp14 or LM faceplate. Hopefully @Paul - iBasso chimes in.

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #8,717 of 10,359
So I have no issues with amp14 on the DX320 non X. No hiccups, glitches, or issues. Same with the amp13 and the DX320 X. Both work flawlessly.

It must be the Liquid Metal faceplate allows just enough separation to cause an issue. I see no way to adjust the LM faceplate. I’m not excited about modifying either the amp14 or LM faceplate. Hopefully @Paul - iBasso chimes in.
Try using it without the faceplate. Push it in with no faceplate on or old one to make sure thats whats causing the problem. If it works ok then i would think the faceplate may need replaced or sanded a bit. Because from my understanding they dont have extras. The liqiud metal plate may be a bit thicker and not letting the card's contacts not seat all the way in. But that may be asking for to much if its something you rather not do. i hope you get it resolved.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #8,718 of 10,359
As a side note, with the Liquid Metal case, I get far less RFI on amp13.

I noticed the amp12 screws don’t fit the Liquid Metal faceplate. In fact, none of the screws fit the LM faceplate except the screws that came with the faceplate.

@Daniel Johnston Can you take a picture of the faceplate and screws your trying to use and post it mate?

It's strange nobody else is experiencing this issue as far as I know.

What I did was as follows

1. Removed default AMP module from player (AMP 12) and put the screws that secure the module to the player aside (call these screws A)
2. Removed default AMP 14 module faceplate (standard DX320 one) from the circuit board and kept the screws aside (call these screws B)
3. Used one of the spare Liquid Metal faceplates the DX320X comes with and mounted it to the AMP 14 circuit board using screws B
4. Reinstalled the AMP 14 module with the liquid metal faceplate back onto the player using screws A

Cheers

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #8,719 of 10,359
Both PowerAmp and Wavelet provide system wide EQ on DX320 without needing to root. I personally use PowerAmp and it works fine with Apple Music. While both worked fine, PowerAmp has PEQ where Wavelet does not. However, both will import Headphone EQ files, Wavelet just doesn't have a PEQ UI like PowerAmp does.
Also, Wavelet doesn't work on all music apps. It is known to NOT work on Amazon Music and some others. Basically, you must put it into "Legacy" mode when using an unsupported music app and hope that it works.

I have not tried PowerAmp, but most of the system-wide EQ apps I have tried in android sound like crap when applying any sort of EQ. The only one I have ever used that was really amazing was Viper4Android (which DOES require root, and does NOT work on the DX devices, unfortunately). Having said that, from what I have read PowerAmp seems to be pretty popular (until/unless there are problems with it). YMMV, of course.

Having said all that, there are other system-wide EQ apps on the Google Play Store, you just need to search. There are even some very basic ones that simply add treble and bass on command. Though, none of these have reached the popularity of Wavelet and PowerAmp. I suspect that Wavelet is so popular because you can import Auto-EQ profiles directly from the source (Github), or from your device. This is also true with Neutron Music Player app BTW. UAPP has a similar feature called Toneboosters Morphit. It is a predominantly Windows app, but exclusively available through UAPP as a paid add-on on android. It has some unique features that Auto-EQ doesn't have, but the profiles are much more limited on what you can find (it is worked on by a very small group of people, rather than anyone being able contribute profiles).

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #8,720 of 10,359
@Daniel Johnston Can you take a picture of the faceplate and screws your trying to use and post it mate?

It's strange nobody else is experiencing this issue as far as I know.

What I did was as follows

1. Removed default AMP module from player (AMP 12) and put the screws that secure the module to the player aside (call these screws A)
2. Removed default AMP 14 module faceplate (standard DX320 one) from the circuit board and kept the screws aside (call these screws B)
3. Used one of the spare Liquid Metal faceplates the DX320X comes with and mounted it to the AMP 14 circuit board using screws B
4. Reinstalled the AMP 14 module with the liquid metal faceplate back onto the player using screws A

Cheers
Thanks, but I have no idea what screws came with what amp anymore. I have two stock amp11, amp12, amp13, and Amp14. I’ve swapped the LM faceplate twice now on the amp13 and Amp14 due to having to return the first edition X.

I ended up using the amp11 screws to attach the LM faceplate to the amp12 with success. I’m using the amp12 in the edition X currently, no issues. The Amp14 sits happily in the DX320 non-X, also very happy.

I’ll try to take pics of the screws included with my amp12 compared to the screws I actually used to secure the LM faceplate. They are noticeably larger, hopefully I can capture that.

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #8,721 of 10,359
Try using it without the faceplate. Push it in with no faceplate on or old one to make sure thats whats causing the problem. If it works ok then i would think the faceplate may need replaced or sanded a bit. Because from my understanding they dont have extras. The liqiud metal plate may be a bit thicker and not letting the card's contacts not seat all the way in. But that may be asking for to much if its something you rather not do. i hope you get it resolved.
I’ll do that as well. But I’m pretty sure it is a contact issue as you think. The Amp14 is happily working with my non-x DX320. Just it did when I first bought it. It’s only the latest LM swap that’s mucked things up with the edition X.

Feb 16, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #8,723 of 10,359
Hi! Did anyone try dx320 + new IBASSO IT05 DD iems setup? Any impressions?
Maybe, there’s some special Ibasso ecosystem synergy?
Yes, they did; though there weren't any "full" reviews posted on this thread, you can search for quite a few impressions on them (throughout Head-Fi). Such as this one (from the iBasso IT-05 thread):
They are really good. I'd say they punch quite a bit above their price point. They have good detail retrieval and separation. They feel fairly punchy when the bass demands. They don't feel harsh to listen to. Soundstage isn't huge, comparing to something like the Monarchs Mk2 that has more front and back depth but it's still very good. I'll compare later with the IT-07. Out of memory, I'd rank these way above the EST112 from Dunu. Testing with the amp14 on a DX320, I'd say this iem in particular shows the full flavor of whatever amp or amp module you are listing to.

Also, @jamato8 has them and has posted some thoughts here as well (using the DX320 IIRC).

Having said that, If they synergize with the DX series as well as their other IEMs I have (IT-01S, IT-00, IT-07), then these are a winner (also).

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #8,724 of 10,359
Thanks, but I have no idea what screws came with what amp anymore. I have two stock amp11, amp12, amp13, and Amp14. I’ve swapped the LM faceplate twice now on the amp13 and Amp14 due to having to return the first edition X.

I ended up using the amp11 screws to attach the LM faceplate to the amp12 with success. I’m using the amp12 in the edition X currently, no issues. The Amp14 sits happily in the DX320 non-X, also very happy.

I’ll try to take pics of the screws included with my amp12 compared to the screws I actually used to secure the LM faceplate. They are noticeably larger, hopefully I can capture that.
This is exactly what I did as well.

And no problem between AMP14 and D320x at all. But the only problem I have now is to switch between AMP11.2 and AMP14 I have to took the silver screws to mount the faceplate as the black screws came with AMP14 didn't fit liquid metal faceplate.
3.jpg

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #8,725 of 10,359
Bflat, can you explain how to get the system wide EQ to work from PowerPoint? Thank you.
It's not complicated.
  • Install Google Play
  • Add payment to your Google account
  • Search for PowerAmp EQ
  • Install
  • You have limited features for the free version
  • Purchase in the app to open up all the features
Once you are a paying customer, you can get support from PowerAmp:

PowerAmp Forum

I am not an expert on PowerAmp EQ, I can only speak to my settings that work with Apple Music and that was all done via trial and error. Having said that, the folks at PowerAmp regard Apple Music as the most challenging so other apps may work much easier. Someone mentioned that Amazon Music isn't compatible. I never tested with Amazon Music because I have yet to get Amazon Music lossless working on DX320 so it's a moot point for me. Other apps I tried that work out of box with PowerAmp EQ are Youtube and Netflix (APKPure version).

Note PowerAmp EQ does not work for BT or DAC mode. This is not a flaw of PowerAmp EQ, but how the system is designed.

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #8,726 of 10,359
It's not complicated.
  • Install Google Play
  • Add payment to your Google account
  • Search for PowerAmp EQ
  • Install
  • You have limited features for the free version
  • Purchase in the app to open up all the features
Once you are a paying customer, you can get support from PowerAmp:

PowerAmp Forum

I am not an expert on PowerAmp EQ, I can only speak to my settings that work with Apple Music and that was all done via trial and error. Having said that, the folks at PowerAmp regard Apple Music as the most challenging so other apps may work much easier. Someone mentioned that Amazon Music isn't compatible. I never tested with Amazon Music because I have yet to get Amazon Music lossless working on DX320 so it's a moot point for me. Other apps I tried that work out of box with PowerAmp EQ are Youtube and Netflix (APKPure version).

Note PowerAmp EQ does not work for BT or DAC mode. This is not a flaw of PowerAmp EQ, but how the system is designed.
Any experience with native Tidal and Qobuz?
Though there’s also UApp for these apps but would be nice to use the native apps AI engine for individual track suggestions and radio stations

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #8,727 of 10,359
Having said all that, there are other system-wide EQ apps on the Google Play Store, you just need to search. There are even some very basic ones that simply add treble and bass on command. Though, none of these have reached the popularity of Wavelet and PowerAmp. I suspect that Wavelet is so popular because you can import Auto-EQ profiles directly from the source (Github), or from your device. This is also true with Neutron Music Player app BTW. UAPP has a similar feature called Toneboosters Morphit. It is a predominantly Windows app, but exclusively available through UAPP as a paid add-on on android. It has some unique features that Auto-EQ doesn't have, but the profiles are much more limited on what you can find (it is worked on by a very small group of people, rather than anyone being able contribute profiles).
Couple clarifications:
  • PowerAmp EQ is a stand alone system wide EQ app. This is confusing because PowerAmp is a stand alone music player app that also features EQ.
  • PowerAmp EQ can also import the Auto EQ profiles. I believe most folks are calling those profiles "Headphone EQ". My system wide EQ on Mac OS, SoundSource also imports Auto EQ profiles but they label those as Headphone EQ. Not to go off on too much of a tangent, Wavelet and SoundSource do not have a UI where I can create PEQ profiles. PowerAmp EQ does and when I create a profile that I like, I export from PowerAmp EQ and then import to SoundSource. I can further customize the PEQ profiles for SoundSource by manually editing the values in the import file. The files are all text and look some like this:

• Preamp: -4.0 dB
    Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 1.300
    Filter 2: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain -0.4 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 3: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 4: ON PK Fc 320 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 1.000
    Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5400 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7400 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 8: ON PK Fc 9400 Hz Gain -7.1 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 9: ON PK Fc 11000 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 10: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 0.500

UI would be better, but once you identify the "problem areas" via UI, it's easy to change the gain +/- to tweak to your personal tastes.

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #8,728 of 10,359
Any experience with native Tidal and Qobuz?
Though there’s also UApp for these apps but would be nice to use the native apps AI engine for individual track suggestions and radio stations
Sorry no, I just use Apple Music because it's bundled with Apple Fitness which my health insurance covers so I get Apple Music for free.

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #8,730 of 10,359
Couple clarifications:
  • PowerAmp EQ is a stand alone system wide EQ app. This is confusing because PowerAmp is a stand alone music player app that also features EQ.
  • PowerAmp EQ can also import the Auto EQ profiles. I believe most folks are calling those profiles "Headphone EQ". My system wide EQ on Mac OS, SoundSource also imports Auto EQ profiles but they label those as Headphone EQ. Not to go off on too much of a tangent, Wavelet and SoundSource do not have a UI where I can create PEQ profiles. PowerAmp EQ does and when I create a profile that I like, I export from PowerAmp EQ and then import to SoundSource. I can further customize the PEQ profiles for SoundSource by manually editing the values in the import file. The files are all text and look some like this:

• Preamp: -4.0 dB
    Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 1.300
    Filter 2: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain -0.4 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 3: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 4: ON PK Fc 320 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 1.000
    Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5400 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7400 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 8: ON PK Fc 9400 Hz Gain -7.1 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 9: ON PK Fc 11000 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 2.000
    Filter 10: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 0.500

UI would be better, but once you identify the "problem areas" via UI, it's easy to change the gain +/- to tweak to your personal tastes.
Thx for posting.
The attributes are pretty much the same also in PEQ.
Searching for example in the Oratory database you can find almost every headphone and get its frequency response closer to Harman curve.
Good for people liking Harman or at least a good basis for experiments without needing to figure everything out yourself.
Import/ exort formats can differ though and might need to be converted.
I got used to filling such values manually even in expensive apps like Roon but usually it’s one time effort per headphone

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back