DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #8,341 of 10,359
Friends,
I'm a few days in with 30+hrs burn in or so, still find the DX320X with stock amp on 2.05 giving quite tight, fast and dry bass with IER-Z1R on Spotify or Android Mango Player... Typically listening ~45-50 on Low Gain for pop music. Intellectually, I think this is the "correct" bass presentation but I prefer some warmth and a slower bass decay. Older songs are revealed with better treble extension, layering, detail and 3D holographic imaging but sounds less "full", less emotional and a honestly a bit boring...

Honestly, I'm surprised the IER-Z1R sound changed so much vs the L&P W2 dongle (was previously on the "DAC doesn't matter" camp)...

Do you think this will change with "burn-in"? Any settings/suggestions to improve? Thinking to getting Amp13/14 to try the mellower tube sound. Volume doesn't seem to be an issue so no point getting Amp 12 yet. Haven't tried different firmware options, gain options, fast vs slow filters or EQ.. TQ!
I found that all of the amp modules do indeed change (though sometimes pretty subtly) over a period of 100-200 hours. Now, whether that change is good or bad to your ears is only for you to decide. Also, as you suggested, you should play around with the filters (also pretty subtle change IMHO).

If those changes aren't enough for your ears, you might consider either Amp13 or Amp14 for the changes you are looking for.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #8,342 of 10,359
I found that all of the amp modules do indeed change (though sometimes pretty subtly) over a period of 100-200 hours. Now, whether that change is good or bad to your ears is only for you to decide. Also, as you suggested, you should play around with the filters (also pretty subtle change IMHO).

If those changes aren't enough for your ears, you might consider either Amp13 or Amp14 for the changes you are looking for.
Also, you might try bumping it up to high gain. For me the change in impact of notes is much more noticeable on high gain setting (though I am not sure this will add any "emotion" to the bass). I have used high gain for all of my head gear and have yet to find a set that I can hear the noise floor (though my ears ARE pretty old, so YMMV). It may or may not give the emotional sound you are looking for, but it is cheap and easy to test.... :)

Having said that, all of the amp cards (even the Nutube cards) are fairly neutral and have less "color" to them than a lot of the other brands out there. iBasso has left it to you to tune your sound using different head gear, EQ, filters, gain, etc... (the way it SHOULD be IMHO). This makes the DX more versatile in what synergizes well with the DAP, and you aren't stuck with one type of sound whether you like it or not. This is just my opinion though, and there are (many) others that might disagree with that thought process.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #8,343 of 10,359
Stock amp will always change over The first 200 hours. The Z1R is a great bud and it requires a lot of energy/power
Ok thanks - hope it improves :)
Also, you might try bumping it up to high gain. For me the change in impact of notes is much more noticeable on high gain setting (though I am not sure this will add any "emotion" to the bass). I have used high gain for all of my head gear and have yet to find a set that I can hear the noise floor (though my ears ARE pretty old, so YMMV). It may or may not give the emotional sound you are looking for, but it is cheap and easy to test.... :)

Having said that, all of the amp cards (even the Nutube cards) are fairly neutral and have less "color" to them than a lot of the other brands out there. iBasso has left it to you to tune your sound using different head gear, EQ, filters, gain, etc... (the way it SHOULD be IMHO). This makes the DX more versatile in what synergizes well with the DAP, and you aren't stuck with one type of sound whether you like it or not. This is just my opinion though, and there are (many) others that might disagree with that thought process.
I hear you - Let me listen more on High Gain; don't really hear the noise either.

Regarding 'neutrality', what's weird is IER-Z1R is known for having that boosted "full sounding" bass signature but with DX320, it doesn't appear that way at all - in fact it reminds me of the fast, clean bass of Balanced Armature IEMs like the Etymotic ER4 series.. hmm.. let me pull that out of storage and test the combo and report back :D

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #8,344 of 10,359

I hear you - Let me listen more on High Gain; don't really hear the noise either.

Regarding 'neutrality', what's weird is IER-Z1R is known for having that boosted "full sounding" bass signature but with DX320, it doesn't appear that way at all - in fact it reminds me of the fast, clean bass of Balanced Armature IEMs like the Etymotic ER4 series.. hmm.. let me pull that out of storage and test the combo and report back :D
I noticed something similar too with the ifi diablo, not balanced armature, but extremely tight and fast, super clean, hit like a truck.

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #8,345 of 10,359
I have had people PM me asking which is my favorite Amp modules from Ibasso 3X series that would warrant me to sell my Pure gold WM1Z M2 ?

My answer for that ? Amp11 MUSE-XF !! The most expensive but greatest creation out of all the years I have been modifying Ibasso.

Disclaimers: this is just my answer to the general so they don’t have to PM me because I keep answering the same over and over. This is not a statement that Ibasso stock modules is bad or only mediocre in performances. Ibasso is amazing and that is why I am here and buying most of Ibasso flagships!!!

This is a statement that Ibasso has an amazing modular system that allow modifications to stretch the player capabilities toward the sky is the limit!!! And so far my greatest is the MUSE-XF. Additionally, Ibasso is so good that My favorite is actually Amp11 based 😘

The Muse-XF consists of an overhaul of many components, strengthening power supplies dynamic responses, OpAmps with MUSE, Filters capacitors are with many PML from Rubycon, AeroSpace Wet Tantalum capacitor, Nichicon coupling capacitors, Philips High polymer capacitors, KEMET capacitors, Elna Silmic…etc. .They not only are pricey, but also very hard to perform, if EX was extremely hard, this is 2X as hard, it requires amazing controls of soldering, and space managements (not to mentions the developments and implementations in itself)

With this module, I am satisfied with the ability to dive deep into the bass texture, dense and fat but amazingly controlled, while the highs are well extended with great clarity and fidelity, which is only happening by the amazing implementations and engineering of the Dx320 and it dual ROHM chips. Yes, it is a night and day better than slightly modified WM1Z M2

***MUSE-XF can be done on all amp 11 variants with the greatest different being is that the original Amp11 has the densest and deepest bass, all other variants has a bit kore neutral and clarity*** though I would vote for the original Amp11 as much as I could. Picture is of Original based MUSE-XF
CEBB3874-A470-4B6B-B094-4DF0745A4A82.jpeg
C790B56F-2249-4504-9752-B1C45500C49E.jpeg
Sounds very interesting. So for this mod, you prefer the amp11mk1 over the newer amp11mk2s thats on the DX320x? Is that what you mean by original amp11 (mk1)?

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #8,347 of 10,359

Funny (as in ironic), I only own one set of all BA; Audiosense T800 8 BA IEM, and the bass on those are more akin to DD bass combined with BA bass (must be the porting they added or something)... :)

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #8,348 of 10,359
Just for fun i have tried the DX320 as DAC for gaming and the sound is not sync it has a little delay. Did anyone experience the same, maybe change some setting..

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #8,349 of 10,359

ER4 will reveal the true sound signature :thumbsup:.

Keep in mind ER4 sensitivity is 98db with 45db impedance; on SE plugs it will be best auditioned with the DX320 in high gain.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #8,350 of 10,359
Just for fun i have tried the DX320 as DAC for gaming and the sound is not sync it has a little delay. Did anyone experience the same, maybe change some setting..
This is a known issue, and I am not sure whether it is hardware or software, but iBasso has released a FW revision some time back that made the lag less than it was before. This same thing happens on the DX300 (unfortunately).

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #8,351 of 10,359
This is a known issue, and I am not sure whether it is hardware or software, but iBasso has released a FW revision some time back that made the lag less than it was before. This same thing happens on the DX300 (unfortunately).
Yeah, I asked and Paul confirmed that the delay does exist, they did try their best to minimize it. I assume it's a constraint between the android operating system and the dac itself. Just an assumption. I have a BTR5 from FiiO and that one has 0 lag in comparison, not even in bluetooth mode from what I can remember. The btr5 obviously doesn't sound as good but works as an emergency portable when and if needed.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #8,352 of 10,359
Thanks, i have read some post's regarding this.. it's not a problem to me has i have other dacs, but ibasso should really resolve this... some one who buy the DX320 as a solo unit to do it all, it's a no go...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #8,353 of 10,359
Yeah, I asked and Paul confirmed that the delay does exist, they did try their best to minimize it. I assume it's a constraint between the android operating system and the dac itself. Just an assumption. I have a BTR5 from FiiO and that one has 0 lag in comparison, not even in bluetooth mode from what I can remember. The btr5 obviously doesn't sound as good but works as an emergency portable when and if needed.
Yes all my other dacs work fine, even the Qudelix 5K:rolling_eyes:(120euros).. as you said must be the android operating system...

note: tested now in Mango OS and the delay is also there, i think worst... maybe the cause is not Android...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #8,354 of 10,359
Yes all my other dacs work fine, even the Qudelix 5K:rolling_eyes:(120euros).. as you said must be the android operating system...

note: tested now in Mango OS and the delay is also there, i think worst... maybe the cause is not Android...

High negative feedback circuits can sometimes cause delays but the payback is low error (noise & timing) and more accurate playback. I am not making excuses for IBasso, but suspect that the pursuit for excellence may have a price; though it still doesn’t explain the oftentimes unresponsive tap to wake screen.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #8,355 of 10,359
Yeah, I am not so sure about the low error. When playing offline music I get multiple momentary gaps during playback and as you mentioned the tap to wake at least a couple times a week doesn't work. Or I have to try over and over to get it to open the Lock Screen. But the 320 sounds so good with the tube amp so I put up with the little bugs - just wish they could squash them. Tried the m11s and the lag was terrible as well. Agreed - Qudelix 5k and BTR 7 in bluetooth mode have really minimal lag -I can even work on audio production on my iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back