DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Oct 25, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #6,976 of 10,346
I have asked ibasso in the past about this. They don't tweak the sound but what seems to vary is how the software loads, packs for download. There are little changes (I assume) from how everything lines up on the packed firmware. That is why firmwares can vary. For anything more than that, Paul may have more information but that is what I have been told in the past and it makes sense to me.
That being the case, iBasso isn't likely to acknowledge any changes in sound.
Also, shouldn't this hold true for any brand and model player whenever a new firmware is loaded? Surely can't be limited only to the DX320.

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #6,977 of 10,346
I have asked ibasso in the past about this. They don't tweak the sound but what seems to vary is how the software loads, packs for download. There are little changes (I assume) from how everything lines up on the packed firmware. That is why firmwares can vary. For anything more than that, Paul may have more information but that is what I have been told in the past and it makes sense to me.
No doubt ! I did some tweaking on Walkman firmware previously and it was just different integers being inserted into the overall systems, which are pretty limited and it functions was not related to sound DSP but rather for Identifications. However, tweaking it did alter the sound performances, and could also mess up the ID sequences and even triggered the Walkman into different identification.

We are not talking about as obvious a different as one was to change DAP, but it was different as much as using different digital filters on ESS or AKM

To really understand why such small changes in the firmwares can relate and affect the sound performances.

I would assume they did small changes similar to something like a digital PEQ in the firmware updates.
I wouldn’t think so. But there are many ways to change the sound performances, for example, introducing a different interpolation sequences. But as John mentioned above, Ibasso did not change anything related to sound

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #6,978 of 10,346
Also, shouldn't this hold true for any brand and model player whenever a new firmware is loaded? Surely can't be limited only to the DX320.
Different system will behave differently, and that is why the problem is elusive. The Dx300 sharing similar SOC doesn’t have as much an effects as the Dx320. Why ? No one know

The Cayin N8ii did have some effects by just simply rooting, limiting bloat wares, and reassign core processing on app priorities. The RS6 didn’t even have any effects when enabling all the digital filters, even customized filters at all….though some people still claim to differentiate the differences in the RS6, but from people who I know and share similar views, did state that they couldn’t tell anything.

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #6,979 of 10,346
Sure it would. But if you pack the firmware enough times, I am sure you can get much the same sound and yes, I have heard it in other players (brands) as well, nothing new there.

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #6,980 of 10,346
I would assume they did small changes similar to something like a digital PEQ in the firmware updates.

Close.

From ROHM's website:
-----------
The BD34301EKV DAC chip, developed as part of ROHM’s high-grade MUS-ICT™ series representing the pinnacle of audio ICs, emphasizes ‘spatial reverberation’, ‘quietness’, and ‘dynamic range’ – qualities important for reproducing classical music. Original sound quality design technology makes it possible to successfully reproduce the target sound quality by incorporating a circuit in the signal processing block to check for audio quality. At the same time, class-leading low noise and distortion (130dB SN ratio, -115dB THD+N) provide the high performance demanded by high fidelity audio equipment. At last, the customizable digital filter – a key function of the digital signal processing circuit – supports the creation of the ideal sound sought by audio equipment manufacturers.
------------

The sound signature can vary from one FW to the next on the DX320 is done by specifically (and simply) changing parameters of values for the ROHM DACs operation (and other chips/circutry iBasso uses). iBasso engineers understand how the ROHM BD34301EKV works when integrated into their designs.

Any chip manufacturer gives out design specs and circuitry examples, and machine code (software specific to their chip) as well as the limitations when a company is using (buying) their technology. It's not unlike what I did in college and through the early 80s with the 8088 ICs, then all the x8086 IC variations.

If you want a deeper dive into this, here's ROHM's primer on the BD34301EKV chip iBasso is using in the DX320. It's a very detailed overview (13 pages). While very technical to the uninitiated, it's the basics from an engineering implementation: ROHM BD34301EKV - Technical PDF Overview

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #6,982 of 10,346

How FW is 'packed' (i.e. zip software) has no bearing on a sound change. It's the device's programming language software pieces/parts that are changed, then fed into a compiler, then fed into a zip file that FW iBasso hands us.

A FW 'pack' for the DX320 has parts specific to the entire operation of a device, i.e. apps, chips, Android 11, or Mango OS, the display, ICs, Mango OS Player (and it's Android equivalent), etc. and etc. and more....the 'pack' contains everything to make the device in question work.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #6,983 of 10,346
The Edition X is beautiful, either staying inside the leather case, or out of it !

Ladies and gentlemen, the first Portable Player that can benefit Oversampling by Neutron with observable improvements upto 16X from Redbook or 768Khz !!!!! Without heating up like a monster

I also finally finished this Amp11A-B (A standing for full class A and B is Burson audio as this is the classic V6 being used in place of the typical Opamp)

Who deserves the throne now ? Edition X! Once again, it marked as the first portable player in the world to be sporting the best amplification topologies, Class A discrete input and Class A discrete output without heating up like a monster !!!

**why class A** discrete ? Because they are amazing ! With the configuration of being a push and pull implementations, using discrete will allow better transistors matching between channels, which dramatically reduce cross over distortions and lower cross talk. Class A is down right the best Topology there is for amplification. No question about it !!

From a long prototype to the now working excellently with improved implementation, now it runs up-to 7 hours on the analog side : some details. This is the most extreme module I have done, which is also the most extremely expensive (especially the OpAmps and the interconnect wires). Thanks to everyone who supported me

1/ Class A discrete Burson V6 Classic
2/ Interconnect wires UPOCC Silver Goldplated Litz
3/ KEMET Polyester decoupling
4/ Nichicon Fine Gold Power Coupling
5/ Panasonic as Power supply
6/ Vishay polypropylene foil capacitor
7/ Gold infused solders from Mundorf

CD48FD73-B859-4D37-B6B1-77151BF82CD3.jpegD77C89FF-345B-47D4-B301-D2D2A0FA4048.jpeg836D4DB3-BE5E-44A8-B05B-0405B0608337.jpeg33E64E53-501C-4E76-A096-F0140AD1210F.jpeg96118E14-7811-485B-8D15-ACA50F807F2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #6,984 of 10,346
While there is technically a way to use customized Filters from external DSP with ROHMs, they do not provide any tools to enable such features. Probably not yet, at least that was from the last time I spoke to Paul
With all due respect, we're on the same page here, :beerchug: , somebody at iBasso knows how to tune/tweak the ROHMs and/or the downstream circuitry, otherwise we'd never have the differing sound signatures between FWs. Someone understands it so well, they fixed what many were complaining about.

A quick look at the ROHM BD34301EKV User's Guide reveals a lot, and is an evaluation step, document and testing platform any manufacturer using the IC would start with. This 16 page document shows complete block and circuit diagrams, pin out variables and limits, even the IC masks and bill of materials. This is linked inside the other PDF. I'm sure the iBasso engineers found plenty to play with based off this, otherwise the DX320 wouldn't be what it is.

BD34301EKV Users Guide - Evaluation Board

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #6,985 of 10,346
With all due respect, :beerchug: , somebody at iBasso knows how to tune/tweak the ROHMs and/or the downstream circuitry, otherwise we'd never have the differing sound signatures between FWs. Someone understands it so well, they fixed what many were complaining about.

A quick look at the ROHM BD34301EKV User's Guide reveals a lot, and is an evaluation step, document and testing platform any manufacturer using the IC would start with. This 16 page document shows complete block and circuit diagrams, pin out variables and limits, even the IC masks and bill of materials. This is linked inside the other PDF. I'm sure the iBasso engineers found plenty to play with based off this, otherwise the DX320 wouldn't be what it is.

BD34301EKV Users Guide - Evaluation Board
Wow! Nice find!!! I have not found this yet!! In this case, I do agree with you :). I love the newest firmware 2.03.855 as it has sparkling upper extensions with fine details and textures, while also being very smooth without graininess. The upper mid aggressiveness is also less invasive with great dynamic and tonal density. Beside the original firmware, this newest one is the best one

Just took a quick look at it. It seems that they use AK4118AEQ as an external DSP (including filters). This reminds me of AKM4499EX which is essentially an AK4499EQ + AK4191 as external DSP ! Now, I can not wait until the next ROHMS + AK4191EQ set up LOL!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #6,988 of 10,346
Yes, actually they can ship. Some brands, and Ibasso is included.

The last big question is value declaration for customs. I know it's not the usual, doing things straight. But in Brazil anything of any amount coming from courier, for example, is taxed 110% of the declared amount plus shipping.
It's unreal.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #6,989 of 10,346
Yes, actually they can ship. Some brands, and Ibasso is included.

The last big question is value declaration for customs. I know it's not the usual, doing things straight. But in Brazil anything of any amount coming from courier, for example, is taxed 110% of the declared amount plus shipping.
It's unreal.
You can contact @Paul - iBasso and make inquiries. I know Paul can sell direct when needed, and also declare values as needed

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #6,990 of 10,346
I use the DDHifi 4.4 to 3.5 even for the Expanse and it works great. I use a lot of balanced but the AMP13 is amazing and I prefer it to many amps, even desktop.
I just started to listen amp13 when bought Ddhifi adapter, and it’s awesome! I got it on classified bundle purchase, but haven’t used it before because of the lack of balanced. It carries Meze Liric really well even on low noise output, and brings a lot more warmness compared to stock amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back