DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Aug 31, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #5,971 of 10,359
I have this effect with the U12Ts, no matter whether it is UAPP, Neutron, Mango Player or Mango OS, nothing gets too sharp, everything seems balanced but with massive soundstage, clarity and excellent bass on an IEM, best setup I've had ever.
On the U12T, I have the JVC Spiral Dots++ (Medium) installed and that balanced the sound even further to what it is now.

You can also use Replay Gain on UAPP, Neutron, but I think it works better on Neutron.

I'm just waiting impatiently for DAC filter D3 or something that is the middle ground between D1 and D2.
Would love to try the U12T but first need a DAP that handles them well. Tera won’t since they are all BA and 12,6 Ohm.

First things first, try to arrange the DX 320 entirely to my liking.🙂

Aug 31, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #5,972 of 10,359
I have used both Wavelet and PowerAmp EQ with Apple Music on DX320 and Fiio M11/M17. Both work well, but with Apple Music sometimes the EQ does not engage and that gets resolved by restarting Apple Music. This generally happens only when initial power on or reboot.

Wavelet doesn't have PEQ which is a must for me, but it does have AutoEQ import which has a vast free library of headphone EQ curves that adjust to a neutral curve. PowerAmp has PEQ and the UI is pretty easy to use. Both offer a good GEQ if that is all you need. I still give the edge to PowerAmp if you don't use AutoEQ because the setup is a little easier and has a few more options than Wavelet to get your players apps to work. Of course it's a no brainer if you use PowerAmp player.
Thanks for the setup info. Sincerely appreciated!

I installed Poweramp EQ, and purchased for full features (more EQ slider control mainly). Had to go the extra ADB/USB developer option steps to get it to recognize QOBUZ, but Poweramp EQ is finally seeing QOBUZ as a plyer, and EQ'ing properly. All I have to do now is export my Poweramp Player app settings for EQ to the Poweramp EQ app, then it should be pretty sweet. I've tweaked that EQ setup for all my DX320 setups, whether desktop or portable, and for several headphones/iems. Applying those across to QOBUZ playback will be nice.

Aug 31, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #5,973 of 10,359
Thanks for the setup info. Sincerely appreciated!

I installed Poweramp EQ, and purchased for full features (more EQ slider control mainly). Had to go the extra ADB/USB developer option steps to get it to recognize QOBUZ, but Poweramp EQ is finally seeing QOBUZ as a plyer, and EQ'ing properly. All I have to do now is export my Poweramp Player app settings for EQ to the Poweramp EQ app, then it should be pretty sweet. I've tweaked that EQ setup for all my DX320 setups, whether desktop or portable, and for several headphones/iems. Applying those across to QOBUZ playback will be nice.
Looks like a road to go, thanks for the info!🙏

Aug 31, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #5,974 of 10,359
I’ve tried that but it didn’t work. Will do some more investigation, would be nice to play from all sources on the DX 320 with about the same sound sig. and volume.🙂
I've given up on the matching volume between apps idea tbh, just goes to show how each app is slightly altering playback gain. The difference is noticeable, but not bothersome. However, it's become second nature (from self preservation!) that I check volume/LO/PO settings between every configuration change now though (headphone/amp/iem). Experience with the 7Hz Timeless and LCD-X planars has taught me they can play back at unfathomable volume levels.

I have this effect with the U12Ts, no matter whether it is UAPP, Neutron, Mango Player or Mango OS, nothing gets too sharp, everything seems balanced but with massive soundstage, clarity and excellent bass on an IEM, best setup I've had ever.
On the U12T, I have the JVC Spiral Dots++ (Medium) installed and that balanced the sound even further to what it is now.

You can also use Replay Gain on UAPP, Neutron, but I think it works better on Neutron.

I'm just waiting impatiently for DAC filter D3 or something that is the middle ground between D1 and D2.
All you JVC Spiral Dots++ proponents here on head-fi.....I now have those on order, waiting for them to show up.

Agreed on the DAC filter D1, D2 & D3.

I see. I just have the PowerAmp EQ volume control disabled (DVC disabled). Not sure how well it works with custom iBasso volume implementation.
And....same here. DVC disabled across both Poweramp apps, one of the first things I ran into when I first got the DX320. It's painful if you make the mistake and don't heed the warning under the setting (see above).

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #5,975 of 10,359
I've given up on the matching volume between apps idea tbh, just goes to show how each app is slightly altering playback gain. The difference is noticeable, but not bothersome. However, it's become second nature (from self preservation!) that I check volume/LO/PO settings between every configuration change now though (headphone/amp/iem). Experience with the 7Hz Timeless and LCD-X planars has taught me they can play back at unfathomable volume levels.

All you JVC Spiral Dots++ proponents here on head-fi.....I now have those on order, waiting for them to show up.

Agreed on the DAC filter D1, D2 & D3.

And....same here. DVC disabled across both Poweramp apps, one of the first things I ran into when I first got the DX320. It's painful if you make the mistake and don't heed the warning under the setting (see above).
In my case with Spotify, I somehow really experienced quite some volume difference but maybe that’s less important now because that was a simple tryout. I’ll be using Quobuz in the end and hopefully the slight volume difference you experience actually is with Quobuz?

Those spiral Dots also caught my attention, will look into that later, this hobby really never ends does it?🙂

Edit: have factory reset the DX 320 and installed everything again, incl. Poweramp paid version and Poweramp EQ. Somehow almost no difference in sound level now.🤷🏻‍♂️ Anyway, one step closer…🙂

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #5,976 of 10,359
In my case with Spotify, I somehow really experienced quite some volume difference but maybe that’s less important now because that was a simple tryout. I’ll be using Quobuz in the end and hopefully the slight volume difference you experience actually is with Quobuz?

Those spiral Dots also caught my attention, will look into that later, this hobby really never ends does it?🙂
The volume difference for me between Qobuz and Poweramp playback is very minimal. Just remember I'm in a desktop configuration, DX320->Schiit Jotunheim 2->Audeze LCD-X 2021. Only about 10% of my 320 playback is using IEMs, don't know if that is a factor.

Another benefit now is that I don't have to turn off the EQ app when switching between Qobuz and Poweramp Player, like I did with Wavelet. Poweramp is smart it seems, doesn't double EQ like Wavelet would (as it couldn't tell that Poweramp Player had it's own EQ working).

I ponied up for the yearly subscription with Qobuz. Saved a bit that way. I've tried most of the streaming services over the years, Apple Music, Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, etc. The 320 had me land on Qobuz for the fidelity. I still have an Apple Music sub through Apple One, as we need that storage/backup service for all the phones/tablets in our household (extends to elderly parents/kids moved out). Spotify definitely has the UI/search speed advantage though, and both Apple/Spotify have a slight advantage on catalog size, but it's not a worry with the genres I listen to.

If only Poweramp would implement streamer playback like UAPP....then one could have all the listening in one app. I doubt that'll happen anytime soon, I seem to remember seeing this requested and shot down quickly in the poweramp forum back some time ago.

Aug 31, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #5,977 of 10,359
The volume difference for me between Qobuz and Poweramp playback is very minimal. Just remember I'm in a desktop configuration, DX320->Schiit Jotunheim 2->Audeze LCD-X 2021. Only about 10% of my 320 playback is using IEMs, don't know if that is a factor.

Another benefit now is that I don't have to turn off the EQ app when switching between Qobuz and Poweramp Player, like I did with Wavelet. Poweramp is smart it seems, doesn't double EQ like Wavelet would (as it couldn't tell that Poweramp Player had it's own EQ working).

I ponied up for the yearly subscription with Qobuz. Saved a bit that way. I've tried most of the streaming services over the years, Apple Music, Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, etc. The 320 had me land on Qobuz for the fidelity. I still have an Apple Music sub through Apple One, as we need that storage/backup service for all the phones/tablets in our household (extends to elderly parents/kids moved out). Spotify definitely has the UI/search speed advantage though, and both Apple/Spotify have a slight advantage on catalog size, but it's not a worry with the genres I listen to.

If only Poweramp would implement streamer playback like UAPP....then one could have all the listening in one app. I doubt that'll happen anytime soon, I seem to remember seeing this requested and shot down quickly in the poweramp forum back some time ago.
All in one integration would indeed be great. Spotify has an option to show the internal songs as well but will not be my endgame, so I didn’t test. Well, I have internal and streaming music sonically a bit in the same direction now. Next step is testing the fine tuning, using only options both Poweramp apps can handle.

And then a lot of a/b-ing with the Tera.

And then implementing Quobuz with more finetuning.

And then testing with Amp12EXN “one of” so I can stream without Amp13’s disturbances.

And then trying spiral dots.

And meanwhile keeping my girlfriend happy and enjoying our holiday.😅

Pfff…😂

Sorry for the off topics all and thank you for the help gents!🙏

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #5,978 of 10,359
Would love to try the U12T but first need a DAP that handles them well. Tera won’t since they are all BA and 12,6 Ohm.

First things first, try to arrange the DX 320 entirely to my liking.🙂
I think the u12t could solve many problems for you. Im not exactly sure what issues you are fighting with but when it comes to the high mids/lower trebles sharpness, the u12t seem to be able to solve this, looking at their fr. They are calmer in this region than the Monarchs. Their tuning looks even and laid back. They can be a very good company for daps with more pronounced higher mids. Their tuning reminds me slightly of the Kinera Nanna Imperial which sounded very even in mids with the dx300 and stock amp. And the dx300 with amp11.2 was aggressive and farward in this area.
They were too laid back for the M8 tho, thats why i went with the first version in the end.
The u12t looks very interesting. For this price there is also Elysian Diva which seems to be on the calmer side too.

Aug 31, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #5,979 of 10,359
BTW, if anyone is looking on Amazon for the JVC Spiral Dots++, it is a bit confusing to search on Amazon since the listings don't exactly specify if it is the older or the latest ++ version.

This is the link for the Medium size that worked well for me but it could vary from person to person, this is the Spiral Dots++ version,

https://www.amazon.com/JVC-EP-FX10-Spiral-Dot-Earpieces/dp/B08KSJNWRX/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=jvc+spiral+dot&qid=1661973261&sr=8-2&th=1

This is for the older version, poorer fit and less comfy material and might have a bit more bass boom than the newer versions, this version is named "Spiral Dots Victor" on the listings.

https://www.amazon.com/VICTOR-JVC-E...keywords=jvc+spiral+dot&qid=1661973261&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #5,980 of 10,359
I think the u12t could solve many problems for you. Im not exactly sure what issues you are fighting with but when it comes to the high mids/lower trebles sharpness, the u12t seem to be able to solve this, looking at their fr. They are calmer in this region than the Monarchs. Their tuning looks even and laid back. They can be a very good company for daps with more pronounced higher mids. Their tuning reminds me slightly of the Kinera Nanna Imperial which sounded very even in mids with the dx300 and stock amp. And the dx300 with amp11.2 was aggressive and farward in this area.
They were too laid back for the M8 tho, thats why i went with the first version in the end.
The u12t looks very interesting. For this price there is also Elysian Diva which seems to be on the calmer side too.
Good to read an opinion from an experienced head fi-er and you’re right, I like a somewhat laidback sound, some bass pressure, no real aggressive heights but still open with stage and depth. Together with playing owned music and streaming with the same sound sig. would be ideal for me. Auditioning the U12T might indeed do the trick and make a good starting point. Although the MK2 does it nicely on the Tera but no streaming of course, that’s why I try to reproduce the Tera sound on the DX 320 now, both on- and offline.

The Meze Rai Penta definitely doesn’t pair too well with the Tera and haven’t really tried it with the DX 320 yet but in my opinion the MK2 excels over it in stage, depth, details and openness.

Well, enough for today, will pick it up again in a few days, thanks!🙏

Aug 31, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #5,981 of 10,359
@ThaPapper There's a new one arriving from Effect Audio x Elysian Acoustics Labs: the Gaea
I have one shipped
If anyone in the USA or CA is interested I can loan it for a week
Just shoot me a message here
299734251_5588924937833666_7812461314023371250_n~2.jpg

Aug 31, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #5,982 of 10,359
I just received my M8 and will be comparing the ut12t, z1r and m9 over the weekend with these two players - shanling m8 and the 320 with the 12 amp. So far initial thoughts are the m8 is pretty special but glitchy.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #5,985 of 10,359
I just received my M8 and will be comparing the ut12t, z1r and m9 over the weekend with these two players - shanling m8 and the 320 with the 12 amp. So far initial thoughts are the m8 is pretty special but glitchy.
Yeah the UI is nowhere near to the dx320. But the sound for me is very special. Pity that there arent many players on the market with such sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back