DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Aug 30, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #5,956 of 10,359
Congratulations and they look absolutely stellar and so tempting to try it.

How would you compare the amp12 ada-xf to the amp11 Muse? Do you see this amp12 as the final modification or do you still see more room for improvement?
Good questions!

This is a slightly warmer in the overall signature in comparison to the stock or regular EX mods. However, still remaining enough of neutrality in the overall presentations. This is the result of having a more dynamic presentation together with a much more controlled of timbres body density and transient response. Especially the bass, which is so much more controlled, it can let lose when Called upon and absolutely controlled when isn’t called upon. It is like a great capable horse that can completely lose itself when given the signals.

Overall of those little things, the signature is a more dynamic, engaging, focused. It is similar to Muse-XF in the senses of palpability, and emotional delivery. The mid and vocal is very intimidating but remaining similar portrait of it distances from your listening position as the stock one, but a lot more inner throat energy to be delivered. You will be able to distinct and analyze the techniques of each artists.

The upper mid and upper high are no longer dry with too much details and thin body anymore. It is fuller, more defined, sharper textures and yet smooth with rounded body. You can easily hear each tap on the drum body, hand cymbals, controlled splashes….even a small Ting/Tap on a chimes, also the resonances of brass and metal instrument housing is very vivid (the kind that you will smile and think of the only one word “Fidelity”)

If I compared it to Muse-XF. This is close to it but with a much more grande soundstage presentations, and more dynamics. But at the cost of battery expenses on the analog side. It drops significantly over the hour. Like 15% per hour with just FLAC and Redbook standards

Is this the final evolution of Amp12Ada-XF ? Yes, it is.

Disclosures: all my tunings are done with HD800S and silver cables as a references and listening analyzations

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #5,957 of 10,359
2 hour listening session tonight.... DX320 amp11mk2 4.4 balanced out to Schiit Jotunheim 2 XLR balanced in, XLR balanced out to LCD-X 2021. My favorite configuration with the 320.

Fired up the 320 into Mango OS mode for the first time in 4 weeks or more. Played a few favorite FLAC files (Queen, Mr. Mister, Tangerine Dream, Rush, Pink Floyd, copule of orchestra soundtracks, etc.). Gotta say, while the soundstage, for voices (and mids) is ever so slightly wider, just a bit more 'organic', the overall sound to my ears was veiled, just missing a bit of 'liveliness'.

Switched back and forth to Android OS using Poweramp playing the same files, and Mango OS player sound isn't my preference. I know many like it, I'm the odd guy out with this obviously. For FLAC/DSD playback, using Poweramp...the sound stage is overall the same, except for voices/mids, but there's nothing veiled at all across the entire spectrum. Details galore, plenty of air and space, absolute bass clarity confidence (no boomy), without being overpowering. This crossed from studio recordings to live recordings. FWIW, I'm an EQ believer, the Poweramp app provides tenths of a db control, and the LCD-X responds with only a couple of tenths change. I also love the fact that I can save any EQ/preamp setting separately and quickly resort to it by choosing from my saved presets list.

Fun times, still zero regrets on this purchase!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #5,958 of 10,359
2 hour listening session tonight.... DX320 amp11mk2 4.4 balanced out to Schiit Jotunheim 2 XLR balanced in, XLR balanced out to LCD-X 2021. My favorite configuration with the 320.

Fired up the 320 into Mango OS mode for the first time in 4 weeks or more. Played a few favorite FLAC files (Queen, Mr. Mister, Tangerine Dream, Rush, Pink Floyd, copule of orchestra soundtracks, etc.). Gotta say, while the soundstage, for voices (and mids) is ever so slightly wider, just a bit more 'organic', the overall sound to my ears was veiled, just missing a bit of 'liveliness'.

Switched back and forth to Android OS using Poweramp playing the same files, and Mango OS player sound isn't my preference. I know many like it, I'm the odd guy out with this obviously. For FLAC/DSD playback, using Poweramp...the sound stage is overall the same, except for voices/mids, but there's nothing veiled at all across the entire spectrum. Details galore, plenty of air and space, absolute bass clarity confidence (no boomy), without being overpowering. This crossed from studio recordings to live recordings. FWIW, I'm an EQ believer, the Poweramp app provides tenths of a db control, and the LCD-X responds with only a couple of tenths change. I also love the fact that I can save any EQ/preamp setting separately and quickly resort to it by choosing from my saved presets list.

Fun times, still zero regrets on this purchase!
Great post, made me remember that I selected Poweramp many years ago as my favourite sounding player on Android phones but meanwhile forgot all about it. Will try it on the DX 320, thanks a lot!🙏

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #5,959 of 10,359
Great post, made me remember that I selected Poweramp many years ago as my favourite sounding player on Android phones but meanwhile forgot all about it. Will try it on the DX 320, thanks a lot!🙏
It's one benefit of full purchase apps before the current craziness dealing with monthly/yearly subscriptions, or even worse, the ad-laced freemium app models. Over time, I've collected/unlocked UAPP, Neutron, etc. Makes it easy to compare. Neutron is a second favorite, it is a tweaker's delight....used it mostly on HTC phones. But for me on the 320, Neutron doesn't play nice with my music directory structure (including album artwork).

Poweramp has a lot under the hood also though (even theming/skinning your player/lock screen if you want). Sometimes options are labeled or accessed differently, but everything needed is there for setting up any type (and resolution) of file playback and UI setup.

Mango OS player and music navigation isn't bad for my library....gets the album artwork right, simple if not primitive setup, look and feel. To my ears though, it's like there's some DSP happening specific to vocals (making them slightly wider across the soundstage, possibly a bit more natural tonality). However, the 'live edge' isn't there overall for both vocals and instruments. Vocals don't have the crispness/attack/intimacy that you know exist from the likes of Freddie Mercury, Adele, Sammy Hagar, Bob Seger, Stevie Nicks, Geddie Lee, Celine Dion, Taylor Swift, and so many more. Same goes for instrument impact....it's like a thin veil resisting the edge of better musicality in comparison. I don't know if this existed with previous software versions....don't have the time/patience to compare those. Currently on the latest iBasso firmware, 2.03.855.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #5,960 of 10,359
I’ve bought Poweramp years ago but don’t remember if back then I got a full version through the play store or a register code for the free version. So far I haven’t bothered getting the play store up and running on the DX 320, so downloaded Poweramp through APKpure for now. Played a bit around with it and to my ears, with the standard settings, the music indeed is already more open and better pronounced (crispier) then with Mango player.

Then spent some time to EQ it roughly more to my liking, see picture.

DX 320 (latest FW) -> Amp13 -> Monarch Mk2 with stock cable and tips.
CBDECD63-BB20-491E-977C-D3D82500AC5A.jpeg

With that out of the way and a sound sig. heading towards my liking, I realised that I would very much like a good system wide EQ app on the DX 320 because I also use Spotify for finding nice music and for my girlfriend, who uses it on our home system. So meanwhile also installed the Poweramp EQ app and it recognises Spotify flawlessly which, with the same EQ settings, freshens up really nicely. The only thing so far, is that the volume settings between the Poweramp app and the Spotify/Poweramp EQ combo differ quit a lot and I haven’t yet found a setting to get the combo sound louder enough to match Poweramp.

Should it success roughly having the same sound sig. system wide on the DX 320, I’ll try Steve’s Amp12EXN “one of” again after our holiday or maybe contact @Whitigir (and probably stand in line by now😂) for his latest Amp12 creation.

Thanks again, it’s very good to use Poweramp again and with the right EQ settings, it certainly gets the DX 320 right near my listening pref.👌

It would be so nice to have a DAP which has my beloved Tera sound (with all it’s emotional effects on me) but is less depending on IEM’s and does streaming (but then with Qobuz).🙂

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #5,961 of 10,359
I’ve bought Poweramp years ago but don’t remember if back then I got a full version through the play store or a register code for the free version. So far I haven’t bothered getting the play store up and running on the DX 320, so downloaded Poweramp through APKpure for now. Played a bit around with it and to my ears, with the standard settings, the music indeed is already more open and better pronounced (crispier) then with Mango player.

Then spent some time to EQ it roughly more to my liking, see picture.

DX 320 (latest FW) -> Amp13 -> Monarch Mk2 with stock cable and tips.
CBDECD63-BB20-491E-977C-D3D82500AC5A.jpeg

With that out of the way and a sound sig. heading towards my liking, I realised that I would very much like a good system wide EQ app on the DX 320 because I also use Spotify for finding nice music and for my girlfriend, who uses it on our home system. So meanwhile also installed the Poweramp EQ app and it recognises Spotify flawlessly which, with the same EQ settings, freshens up really nicely. The only thing so far, is that the volume settings between the Poweramp app and the Spotify/Poweramp EQ combo differ quit a lot and I haven’t yet found a setting to get the combo sound louder enough to match Poweramp.

Should it success roughly having the same sound sig. system wide on the DX 320, I’ll try Steve’s Amp12EXN “one of” after our holiday or maybe contact @Whitigir (and probably stand in line by now😂) for his latest Amp12 creation.

Thanks again, it’s very good to use Poweramp again and with the right EQ settings, it certainly gets the DX 320 right near my listening pref.👌

It would be so nice to have a DAP which has my beloved Tera sound (with all it’s emotional effects on me) but is less depending on IEM’s and does streaming.🙂
I've not used the Poweramp EQ app. I'm using Wavelet for that feature, to help with EQ'ing QOBUZ playback/streaming.

One thing that I do with the EQ inside the Poweramp playback app, is set it for more granular control. I have it set for 15 bands, and it shows (at the left side) an option for a Preamp level. I noticed inside the EQ settings, that it has an option to export your settings to the Poweramp EQ app. May have to give app that a try......

And....FWIW, I only used APKPure long enough to install the Google Play Store. Then deleted APKPure and other apps I didn't want or would ever use. Everyone's use case/preferences are so different!

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #5,962 of 10,359
I've not used the Poweramp EQ app. I'm using Wavelet for that feature, to help with EQ'ing QOBUZ playback/streaming.

One thing that I do with the EQ inside the Poweramp playback app, is set it for more granular control. I have it set for 15 bands, and it shows (at the left side) an option for a Preamp level. I noticed inside the EQ settings, that it has an option to export your settings to the Poweramp EQ app. May have to give app that a try......

And....FWIW, I only used APKPure long enough to install the Google Play Store. Then deleted APKPure and other apps I didn't want or would ever use. Everyone's use case/preferences are so different!
I have used both Wavelet and PowerAmp EQ with Apple Music on DX320 and Fiio M11/M17. Both work well, but with Apple Music sometimes the EQ does not engage and that gets resolved by restarting Apple Music. This generally happens only when initial power on or reboot.

Wavelet doesn't have PEQ which is a must for me, but it does have AutoEQ import which has a vast free library of headphone EQ curves that adjust to a neutral curve. PowerAmp has PEQ and the UI is pretty easy to use. Both offer a good GEQ if that is all you need. I still give the edge to PowerAmp if you don't use AutoEQ because the setup is a little easier and has a few more options than Wavelet to get your players apps to work. Of course it's a no brainer if you use PowerAmp player.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #5,963 of 10,359

I have used both Wavelet and PowerAmp EQ with Apple Music on DX320 and Fiio M11/M17. Both work well, but with Apple Music sometimes the EQ does not engage and that gets resolved by restarting Apple Music. This generally happens only when initial power on or reboot.

Wavelet doesn't have PEQ which is a must for me, but it does have AutoEQ import which has a vast free library of headphone EQ curves that adjust to a neutral curve. PowerAmp has PEQ and the UI is pretty easy to use. Both offer a good GEQ if that is all you need. I still give the edge to PowerAmp if you don't use AutoEQ because the setup is a little easier and has a few more options than Wavelet to get your players apps to work. Of course it's a no brainer if you use PowerAmp player.

Thanks gents and one more question; did you get the volume equal for both Poweramp and a streaming service with Poweramp EQ? Unfortunately the Preamp level slider doesn’t do the entire trick.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #5,964 of 10,359
Thanks gents and one more question; did you get the volume equal for both Poweramp and a streaming service with Poweramp EQ?
Not sure I understand the question but with PowerAmp EQ it drops pre amp volume by -4-6 dB automatically when you apply EQ. There is a pre amp gain control where you can adjust it to your liking. The drop in pre amp is to make sure your EQ settings don't clip. if you want to match volume with and without EQ, then just leave PowerAmp EQ running and when you don't want EQ, de-select EQ within the PowerAmp EQ app.

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #5,966 of 10,359
Not sure I understand the question but with PowerAmp EQ it drops pre amp volume by -4-6 dB automatically when you apply EQ. There is a pre amp gain control where you can adjust it to your liking. The drop in pre amp is to make sure your EQ settings don't clip. if you want to match volume with and without EQ, then just leave PowerAmp EQ running and when you don't want EQ, de-select EQ within the PowerAmp EQ app.
Thanks and sorry for not explaining better. Poweramp EQ-ed has a different volume then Spotify/Poweramp EQ, the latter one has a much lower volume.

So if I play with Spotify/Poweramp EQ and then with Poweramp, I have to remember to put the volume down.

Have tried to increase the Spotify/Poweramp EQ volume but actually just realised, that I can also decrease the Poweramp volume of course.🙈

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #5,968 of 10,359
Thanks and sorry for not explaining better. Poweramp EQ-ed has a different volume then Spotify/Poweramp EQ, the latter one has a much lower volume.

So if I play with Spotify/Poweramp EQ and then with Poweramp, I have to remember to put the volume down.

Have tried to increase the Spotify/Poweramp EQ volume but actually just realised, that I can also decrease the Poweramp volume of course.🙈
I see. I just have the PowerAmp EQ volume control disabled (DVC disabled). Not sure how well it works with custom iBasso volume implementation.

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #5,970 of 10,359
I’ve tried that but it didn’t work. Will do some more investigation, would be nice to play from all sources on the DX 320 with about the same sound sig. and volume.🙂

I have this effect with the U12Ts, no matter whether it is UAPP, Neutron, Mango Player or Mango OS, nothing gets too sharp, everything seems balanced but with massive soundstage, clarity and excellent bass on an IEM, best setup I've had ever.
On the U12T, I have the JVC Spiral Dots++ (Medium) installed and that balanced the sound even further to what it is now.

You can also use Replay Gain on UAPP, Neutron, but I think it works better on Neutron.

I'm just waiting impatiently for DAC filter D3 or something that is the middle ground between D1 and D2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back