DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Aug 4, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #5,176 of 10,346
Got Mest mk2 today and feel relieved that it turned out to be a good gamble. If you are not having a awe inspiring listening session with Mest then you are using the wrong tips.

First tip sounded too warm, too smooth, and lacked dynamic range; bass was strong but lacked definition. Tip #2 was too bright. Tip #3 was getting into the sweet spot but bass would move from being very present to very absent in the same song. When you find the right tip you will know it, just like I did! Tip #4 was the storm bringer.

The one thing reviewers have been understating is the dizzying amount of details Mest is able to produce, and it does this while remaining musical. Indigo aside, I doubt there is another IEM under 2X this price that can do this better. This must also be one of the best IEM for soundstage; it is bested by the legendary AKG-K3003, but Mest sounds less blended and better delineated when producing big soundstages.

DX320 and Mest is a boss-like pairing.
What tips are you working with? They are numbered but no names.

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #5,177 of 10,346
Strange, when I am downloading a large number of tracks from Apple Music, like 100 GB, the touchscreen locks up until downloading is done. Screen is on, but unresponsive to touch when this happens. I am also playing music for burn in at the same time. No big deal since this is only a one time download of my complete library.

Edit - downloading about 500 files at a time seems to have resolved this issue. I was downloading 5K+ at a time when this problem popped up.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #5,179 of 10,346
What differences do they make between Dx320 and Sony WM1A-M2 does anyone have or have compared the two?
I have both. I bought the DX320 mostly for power since the Sony isn't able to drive my more demanding full sized headphones. I've been meaning to post some thoughts on the DX320 which would cover some comparisons with the WM1AM2 but been a bit busy. I still plan to do that but here are some thoughts.

I really like the sound of the Sony DAP. Despite it being darker and smoother than the DX320 I actually find it more resolving. I get zero fatigue with it compared to the DX320 on the latest firmware. I actually rolled back to the previous firmware on the DX320 because I find it more pleasing even though it's inferior in other ways. The DX320's bass is more impactful than the Sony regardless of FW while the Sony seems more delicate. OS-wise the DX320 is superior, no contest. The WM1AM2 can get a bit laggy at times but its battery life is exceptional when not using its DSP or streaming. I've repeatedly hit over 25 hours listening offline without any effects. I actually see most of the DSP stuff is bloat but I guess some people might like it. The Sony really struggles with demanding headphones though. I can get good volume from it with my ZMF Atrium but it sounds strained and not very pleasant. The DX320 in comparison doesn't break a sweat and even does a decent job with the AMP13. I like both DAPs for different reasons, but I prefer the sound of the Sony. The DX320 with AMP13 is quite nice though, just wish it didn't have issues streaming.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #5,180 of 10,346
I have both. I bought the DX320 mostly for power since the Sony isn't able to drive my more demanding full sized headphones. I've been meaning to post some thoughts on the DX320 which would cover some comparisons with the WM1AM2 but been a bit busy. I still plan to do that but here are some thoughts.

I really like the sound of the Sony DAP. Despite it being darker and smoother than the DX320 I actually find it more resolving. I get zero fatigue with it compared to the DX320 on the latest firmware. I actually rolled back to the previous firmware on the DX320 because I find it more pleasing even though it's inferior in other ways. The DX320's bass is more impactful than the Sony regardless of FW while the Sony seems more delicate. OS-wise the DX320 is superior, no contest. The WM1AM2 can get a bit laggy at times but its battery life is exceptional when not using its DSP or streaming. I've repeatedly hit over 25 hours listening offline without any effects. I actually see most of the DSP stuff is bloat but I guess some people might like it. The Sony really struggles with demanding headphones though. I can get good volume from it with my ZMF Atrium but it sounds strained and not very pleasant. The DX320 in comparison doesn't break a sweat and even does a decent job with the AMP13. I like both DAPs for different reasons, but I prefer the sound of the Sony. The DX320 with AMP13 is quite nice though, just wish it didn't have issues streaming.
Thanks for your comment....

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #5,181 of 10,346

Audio resolution is similar to looking at a digital photo. You can crank up the contrast and think it looks more exciting hence more resolving, but you lose subtle
gradations of color. Use a histogram and start reducing contrast until you don't see any clipping and while the photo may look a little more boring, you see details you didn't see before, especially in the shadows and highlights. As with most things, it's a matter of trade off.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #5,182 of 10,346

Nice details & comparison!

I considered the Sony....but the changeable amps option on the DX320 was the nudge towards hitting the buy button ultimately.

On the latest software myself for the DX320, the synergy for me with the 7hz Timeless is very nice.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #5,183 of 10,346
Nice details & comparison!

I considered the Sony....but the changeable amps option on the DX320 was the nudge towards hitting the buy button ultimately.

On the latest software myself for the DX320, the synergy for me with the 7hz Timeless is very nice.

... and, if you are heavy into streaming and using apps, WM1ZM2 is slow.

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #5,184 of 10,346
I think my post was taken out of context as I said it was INITIALLY flat and explain that my perception changed after a few hours listening and restart cycles. I am now loving what I have been hearing.

I think there are some gremlins that prevents the DX320 from becoming immediately alive after firmware updates but it does transform quickly into a really good sounding dap.
In the end I feel the same. The new firmware really needs some time to fall in love with and once you are there, there is no going back !

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #5,185 of 10,346
Kineras imperial have bass! What a bliss:)

Attachments

• 20220804_185331.jpg
    20220804_185331.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 4, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #5,186 of 10,346
Kineras imperial have bass! What a bliss:)
Ohh Rigatio, what i believe. You changed your minds so many times. Long time ago maybe more then 6 month you told the bass is not good and you send Nanna back to the dealer and take IT 07. Maybe if i a dealer i set you at the black list :sob: :sob: :sob:

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5,188 of 10,346
After listening to the indigo I couldn’t go mk2 it was just too good the difference to me was night and day.
Mest is a good platform to build on so I am not surprised Indigo is the real deal. I would think though that for recordings that are not deep into the electrostatic treble regions there shouldn't be much between Indigo and MEST. At that point it should come down to tuning preferences. I could be wrong as I haven't auditioned Indigo but speculating based on driver configuration.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #5,189 of 10,346

Super spot-on impressions! I only heard a WM1AM2 briefly, but can say that this is what I thought as well. I also noticed that Sony is super laggy compared to DX320 in general

---

The higher bass impact on DX320 and better driving power always lead to better dynamics for me, which is super nice for rock and metal.

The smoother, more relaxed sound of WM1AM2 is closer to SE180, at least from my short experience, they were rather similar in sound. SE180 was better at driving hard to drive headphones though, more volume, less distortion at max.

DX320 is tuned to be more lively and forward, it is really amazing for pumped up music, psy trance, Grindcore, Tech death metal, symphonic black metal and so on. For pop and Jazz, AMP13 gives it that richness for those who want a richer sound.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #5,190 of 10,346
Ohh Rigatio, what i believe. You changed your minds so many times. Long time ago maybe more then 6 month you told the bass is not good and you send Nanna back to the dealer and take IT 07. Maybe if i a dealer i set you at the black list :sob: :sob: :sob:
But the Shanling M8 has bass!! And the kineras are magnificent with this source:wink: IBasso was lacking bass. Not the case here. Very very musical experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back