DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jul 11, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #3,961 of 10,347
I don't use 2 but 1 has not happened on mine. Always works. I would do a factory reset and see if it works. You are on the current firmware?
yes, am on current firmware, when i flashed the new firmware technically everything was wiped right? Ideally trying not to wipe again since redownloading apple music takes a long time

Might it be because i had the android screen lock, unlock with pattern enabled? Not sure how many of you guys have screen lock on with security

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #3,962 of 10,347
found quite a few bugs lately

1. unable to unlock player while playing music, happens randomly, most probably when using album art as lockscreen using mango player on android. Turning device on, swipe right to unlock doesn't work, screen becomes unresponsive, have to hold power button till device shuts off.
2. Mango player -> now playing view sorting -> display by album, setting doesn't stick, every time i choose a new artist and play all music from artist, the sort music by album function needs to be selected again
I rarely use Mango Player, so can't comment.

For UI & my brain (mostly, rather than sound signature differences), Poweramp's UI, playback and EQ does everything....settings, menus, album/artist sorting, artwork and file retrieval, FLAC, MP3 and DSD playback, very fluidly and coherently. I never get lost. UAPP, HiBy and Neutron player's UI gets in the way of the music for me, or doesn't act/sort as expected when I change a setting, or switch screens. Players are definitely a YMMV preference.

About the only 'glitch' I run into, and not completely repeatable, is sometimes not being able to 'double tap to wake' while playing music, usually after a longer timeframe, say 5+ minutes or so. Doesn't matter if it's Qobuz or Poweramp. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the issue, as I can always get the DX320 to wake using a volume button press.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #3,963 of 10,347
yes, am on current firmware, when i flashed the new firmware technically everything was wiped right? Ideally trying not to wipe again since redownloading apple music takes a long time

Might it be because i had the android screen lock, unlock with pattern enabled? Not sure how many of you guys have screen lock on with security
Yeah, not using the lock screen option. The DX320 is only a playback device for me, everything else done on an iPhone (so it's the device with the heavier security setup).

Question for you.....separate subject.....do you subscribe only to Apple Music on Android? Or do you get Apple Music access via the Apple Premier One service? We use Apple Premier across 5 family members and many iOS devices (for backups mainly, but also for the apps included). Anytime I try to use Apple Music on Android devices (signing in via the Apple Premier account), the service wants a new subscription for Apple Music. Frustrating. I've not contacted Apple support...it's one of the reasons I'm trying Qobuz on the DX320. But....Qobuz does sound better (even on iOS), so I may stick with it.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #3,964 of 10,347

Possibly. I was using screen lock for a while but see no reason for it so stopped using it and prefer it that way.

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #3,965 of 10,347
I rarely use Mango Player, so can't comment.

For UI & my brain (mostly, rather than sound signature differences), Poweramp's UI, playback and EQ does everything....settings, menus, album/artist sorting, artwork and file retrieval, FLAC, MP3 and DSD playback, very fluidly and coherently. I never get lost. UAPP, HiBy and Neutron player's UI gets in the way of the music for me, or doesn't act/sort as expected when I change a setting, or switch screens. Players are definitely a YMMV preference.

About the only 'glitch' I run into, and not completely repeatable, is sometimes not being able to 'double tap to wake' while playing music, usually after a longer timeframe, say 5+ minutes or so. Doesn't matter if it's Qobuz or Poweramp. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the issue, as I can always get the DX320 to wake using a volume button press.

Seems like its time to try poweramp again lol. One thing I like about Mango is that with Chinese artist names, it is sorted in alphabetical order since Mandarin can be spelled with alphabets

Yeah, not using the lock screen option. The DX320 is only a playback device for me, everything else done on an iPhone (so it's the device with the heavier security setup).

Question for you.....separate subject.....do you subscribe only to Apple Music on Android? Or do you get Apple Music access via the Apple Premier One service? We use Apple Premier across 5 family members and many iOS devices (for backups mainly, but also for the apps included). Anytime I try to use Apple Music on Android devices (signing in via the Apple Premier account), the service wants a new subscription for Apple Music. Frustrating. I've not contacted Apple support...it's one of the reasons I'm trying Qobuz on the DX320. But....Qobuz does sound better (even on iOS), so I may stick with it.

No, my main is an iOS device and I subscribed to apple music from there. I have a family plan for apple music, not using the One service since I don't use/need apple tv content. Have a grand total of 2 family so have never encountered any issues. In theory it should still be X number of devices per account/email, so it shouldnt keep asking you to subscribe. Not sure about it tho. Apple music UI by far the best, tho not as smooth on android but their selection of songs suits me alot since i do listen to a lot of Chinese pop and Canto pop

Possibly. I was using screen lock for a while but see no reason for it so stopped using it and prefer it that way.
I should probably disable album art lockscreen and see if my issues persist. I was happily doing a demo on the Aroma Jewels today and my device just died. The Jewel sounds pretty meh after haha

Jul 11, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #3,966 of 10,347
Report of my current digital battery performance on original firmware + stock amp (playing songs stored in Class10/U3 sdxc microsd):
Screen off on android for approx. 11 hours = approx. 3% digital battery loss.
Using DAP immediately after with screen off = approx. 11% digital battery loss in approx. 1 hour.
Continuing use = approx. 9% digital battery loss in approx. 1 hour.
Player lasts a 15 hour typical day without needing charging, but continuous playing probably around 8-9 hours.

I don't think it fast charged.

Amp13 worked on original firmware for me with reversed volume controls. But imo stock amp is better on original firmware so I'm not using Amp13.

So far, I am seeing great value since I am using the DAP at default config/retail price.

Having heard the latest firmware, regardless of preference, the sound is still great value. Regardless of firmware preference, it's great value for the price as Whitigir explained other products overcharge significantly.

The only issue I can actually feel is the audio delay, so minus points for that.

My other complaint is that iBasso recommends factory reset after firmware upgrade, which does make changing the sound annoying even if we don't do the 4x factory reset because they recommend to do 1x factory reset anyway.

PS: Imo the latest firmware sound did not push it enough. I would actually be happy with original firmware sound or latest firmware sound if they go the full distance. Original firmware is very cohesive sounding while latest firmware has better spherical soundstage and height, but is actually still lacking a bit of treble air imo. If they can push for that extra air and sparkle, I'd honestly be fine with either sound (though I understand other ppl can only take one type of sound). But original firmware does work fine. Latest firmware does still have more bass than neutral though. The only real issue is factory reset for those who want to keep changing (and audio sync fix later down the line).
Have you tried using a USB-C port from your PC? I noticed that there IS a delay using USB-A on my PC, but none on the USB-C port.
No experience with Monarch Mk2, but this sounds like a bad cable (single case, manufacturing defect possibly). Or, if widely reported, an incorrect manufacturing implementation of the intended design spec. I'm in a similar mindset on cables, previous life was 20 years as an electronic engineer (4 year degree), working at the manufacturer level, both hardware and software.

In my brain, there's 4 levels of cables and/or ICs:

1-Bad
2-Good (meets intended specs, minimal cost manufacturing)
3-Better (meets, but usually exceeds specs via better materials used for either use longevity or product segment placement)
4-Marketing (easy to spot)

I usually purchase cables in the 'better' category, but only if the manufacturer supplied cable doesn't meet expectations or I have a different want/need, or the supplied original cable wears out from use.

To that end (need/want)....just ordered some custom Hart Audio cables so I can do some further listening comparisons with the DX320 vs. Cayin RU6 using the balanced outputs. So far, using the 3.5mm outputs, the DX320 (latest firmware, stock 11.2 amp) has the edge, it's presentation is livelier, punchier, definitely larger soundstage. RU6 is more silkly (but not frequency spectrum recessed). I liken the RU6 to a laid back tube setup (somewhat expected from the R2R design). Having a lot of fun listening/comparing several IEMs I've accumulated, most recent the 7hz Timeless. I do get IEM 'burn out' however, so I tend to listen more with an 'old friend' the AKG701, and a recent Audeze LCD-X 2021 acquisition. So much FUN, wallet be damned, zero regrets on the DX320 or other recent purchases.
I love those cables. I have all of my full sized headphones outfitted with one, and I have never looked back since then... :)

I don't use any sort of screen lock. I only use the device for music (local and streaming) and nothing else, so I don't find that I really need any security on the device; or the way I look at it, one more thing I have to do just to turn the device on...

Jul 11, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #3,967 of 10,347
Seems like its time to try poweramp again lol. One thing I like about Mango is that with Chinese artist names, it is sorted in alphabetical order since Mandarin can be spelled with alphabets

No, my main is an iOS device and I subscribed to apple music from there. I have a family plan for apple music, not using the One service since I don't use/need apple tv content. Have a grand total of 2 family so have never encountered any issues. In theory it should still be X number of devices per account/email, so it shouldnt keep asking you to subscribe. Not sure about it tho. Apple music UI by far the best, tho not as smooth on android but their selection of songs suits me alot since i do listen to a lot of Chinese pop and Canto pop

I should probably disable album art lockscreen and see if my issues persist. I was happily doing a demo on the Aroma Jewels today and my device just died. The Jewel sounds pretty meh after haha
I'm an English user, so can't experiment with Poweramp and other languages and it's sorting.

FWIW, I like Poweramp's UI even more than Apple music now that I've come back to it. Previous Poweramp use was ~3-4 years ago. The one feature that Poweramp just rocks for me, is that it sorts the file directory structure/artist/album exactly as I have had it laid out for more than a decade. ...../artist/album(s) It will sort that by size OR time of the total music in that artist's subdirectory. Meaning.....if I have 40+ hours of Artist R.....versus 38 hours of Artist P, the R artist albums list first (and with all the artwork correct when I dive into album list!), then all the other artists by total music time. Or....I can sort the main list by 'most recently played' (regardless of subdirectory structure and/or time), or I can sort by Artist Name. It's just fluid and works. Gestures work flawlessly.

Another option I really like about Poweramp on Android, or FLACBox on iOS, is that the apps save your current place in the app, even when you 'force quit' them. I'll admit, yeah, not really needed now with the better memory management of the OS's, but it's a habit from when the OS's didn't do it so well, or the memory in the devices were much lower.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #3,969 of 10,347
I believe my issue runs into how long we've been entrenched into the Apple ecosystem (so I've found via some earlier research).

Without tons of TLDR info, it's an issue of originally being in the iPod era, having purchases of music (and now apps, lotso $$$ in our case) setup via Family Sharing on iTunes, versus Family Sharing setup on what is now iCloud. Apple can't merge the old iTunes accounts, but the old accounts/purchases are grandfathered into iCloud.

Jul 11, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #3,970 of 10,347
I'm an English user, so can't experiment with Poweramp and other languages and it's sorting.

FWIW, I like Poweramp's UI even more than Apple music now that I've come back to it. Previous Poweramp use was ~3-4 years ago. The one feature that Poweramp just rocks for me, is that it sorts the file directory structure/artist/album exactly as I have had it laid out for more than a decade. ...../artist/album(s) It will sort that by size OR time of the total music in that artist's subdirectory. Meaning.....if I have 40+ hours of Artist R.....versus 38 hours of Artist P, the R artist albums list first (and with all the artwork correct when I dive into album list!), then all the other artists by total music time. Or....I can sort the main list by 'most recently played' (regardless of subdirectory structure and/or time), or I can sort by Artist Name. It's just fluid and works. Gestures work flawlessly.

Another option I really like about Poweramp on Android, or FLACBox on iOS, is that the apps save your current place in the app, even when you 'force quit' them. I'll admit, yeah, not really needed now with the better memory management of the OS's, but it's a habit from when the OS's didn't do it so well, or the memory in the devices were much lower.
Small correction/clarity....I'm getting the UI's between Poweramp on Android and FLACBox on iOS a bit mixed up. I've converted to right brain thinking (mostly LOL :grin:) since the mid life crisi....I mean career change.

FLACBox on iOS can be setup to sort by total time of a subdirectory, then using the ..../Artist/Album/..... structure. Other sort options as well.

Poweramp I have sorting by subdirectory structure (alphabetically, which is fine) and of course has other sort option/settings for artists/albums. Neutron drives me nuts. For example, when I specifically set the scan to the SD card and only it's /music/ directory, it shows results in my ...../movie/ directory. This besides the issue of randomly barfing the album/artist artwork, which all work for Poweramp when choosing the same ..../music/ directory.

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #3,971 of 10,347
Small correction/clarity....I'm getting the UI's between Poweramp on Android and FLACBox on iOS a bit mixed up. I've converted to right brain thinking (mostly LOL :grin:) since the mid life crisi....I mean career change.

FLACBox on iOS can be setup to sort by total time of a subdirectory, then using the ..../Artist/Album/..... structure. Other sort options as well.

Poweramp I have sorting by subdirectory structure (alphabetically, which is fine) and of course has other sort option/settings for artists/albums. Neutron drives me nuts. For example, when I specifically set the scan to the SD card and only it's /music/ directory, it shows results in my ...../movie/ directory. This besides the issue of randomly barfing the album/artist artwork, which all work for Poweramp when choosing the same ..../music/ directory.
I really like how Neutron sorts for me. But in the rare case that it doesn't do it well, or search doesn't give me what I am looking for, I have my folder layout set up for such devices as the Fiio X5 that had a VERY poor way to scroll music and no search function.

Top level is:
Hi Res Music (above Redbook)
HQ Music (Redbook FLAC)
MQA
Music (.mp3, oog, aac, lossy)

Then inside each of those:
A-C
D-G
H-K
L-P
Q-S
T-Z

Inside of those are they are sorted by artist in alphabetical order, then album(s) (beginning with date, and sorted by that date), and then songs in order of their tracks on the album.

This also makes things similar for me if/when I decided to use another music player app (as long as it has a folder navigation function, which all the ones I use do).

I also leave all of my streaming but downloaded music on the internal memory, and local on the SD card; it keeps things isolated just in case. :)

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #3,972 of 10,347
I love those cables. I have all of my full sized headphones outfitted with one, and I have never looked back since then... :)
Yep. Several mentions of the Hart Audio cables (yours included) here on Head-Fi led me to the purchase. The stock cable on the LCD-X 2021 s a twisty tangle pain with my desktop use, despite others not having the problem. Got a setup headed my way soon hopefully, to mix balanced 4.4mm and XLR, as well as all options for 1/4" and 3.5mm. I like the modular design. I'd put them on the AKG 701, but that'd require some recabling/handiwork inside the housing, not sure I want to go there.

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,973 of 10,347
Have you tried using a USB-C port from your PC? I noticed that there IS a delay using USB-A on my PC, but none on the USB-C port.

I don't use any sort of screen lock. I only use the device for music (local and streaming) and nothing else, so I don't find that I really need any security on the device; or the way I look at it, one more thing I have to do just to turn the device on...

I have not tested this yet, but you've given me something to play with lol

Time to find a cable USB C to USB C

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,974 of 10,347
I really like how Neutron sorts for me. But in the rare case that it doesn't do it well, or search doesn't give me what I am looking for, I have my folder layout set up for such devices as the Fiio X5 that had a VERY poor way to scroll music and no search function.

Top level is:
Hi Res Music (above Redbook)
HQ Music (Redbook FLAC)
MQA
Music (.mp3, oog, aac, lossy)

Then inside each of those:
A-C
D-G
H-K
L-P
Q-S
T-Z

Inside of those are they are sorted by artist in alphabetical order, then album(s) (beginning with date, and sorted by that date), and then songs in order of their tracks on the album.

This also makes things similar for me if/when I decided to use another music player app (as long as it has a folder navigation function, which all the ones I use do).

I also leave all of my streaming but downloaded music on the internal memory, and local on the SD card; it keeps things isolated just in case. :)
That would have fit my left brain thinking long ago. Makes sense. I do the same on the 320 with local music vs. Qobuz playlist downloads.

I have the local music collection (mostly FLAC now, some DSD) on one of my Macs external hard drives. It's all ../music/artist/album structure. Every two years since 2007 it's been copied to a new iPhone. In 2013, for a 4 year span it was copied to SD cards for Android. In mid 2017 back to iOS.

FWIW, I did use Neutron exclusively on a One+ phone (still have, OxygenOS 9, rooted). Tried comparing settings and UI setup from that Neutron install (which has no SD card slot) to the DX320 & Neutron setup. For the life of me, on the 320 I couldn't (or something wouldn't) match what I was used to seeing, game over, gave up.

When the next iBasso FW hits, I'll go through the reset option, debloat the OS via ADB, then stick with Poweramp, Qobuz and Wavelet (EQ for Qobuz).

Now....my right brain just wants it to work without thinking about it, or the details behind it, and the time to troubleshoot/figure it out has evaporated.Great music & SQ, easy squeezy UI, all else be damned. If Poweramp existed on the iOS side, I'd be all over it there too.

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,975 of 10,347
The sound changed after 5h and smoothened significantly. Kann Max sounds bit like a hybrid between amp11.2s and 13. Bit smoother than the stock and bit more analitycal than the amp13. And has more sub bass but overall i would say that except the subbass and maybe very very slightly bigger stage on the Max, they sound almost identical. So good for me because i was scared of getting a downgrade.
Bigger difference is with Sundaras where the Kann sounds better than the dx320 and even Shanling m9- very good, deep bass and wide soundstage. Things i couldnt get with other daps.
With iems, its very very close and slightly cheaper so i happy:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back