DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jul 2, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #3,541 of 10,353
I haven't heard Cayin until now. I don't even want to try it anymore. I've heard Shanling M9 and M7. All too light for me. I don't like Fiio at all. If iBasso doesn't get the problem with the sound under control and I don't like the 12 EXN special, I'll go back to AK. I'm not an ibasso fanboy.

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #3,544 of 10,353
I can honestly say. I don't want to spend any more money on iBasso products. I'm totally disappointed that the sound was messed up with the current firmware. And with the original firmware, amp 13 does not work. If nothing changes there, I will no longer buy Dap from China. Then I tend to stick to the Japanese and Koreans. Not that you misunderstand me. The sound with the DX320 in its original state was stunning. The updates screwed up. The Chinese seem to like the emphasis on the upper-midrange. I hate it, personally I don't like it at all. That's why I'll refrain from buying anything from China for now. I wasn't very happy with all things. Fiio was particularly bad for me. With DX 300 I was only happy thanks to Whitigir with Amp 12W .That's why I don't buy anything anymore. I am now waiting for amp 12 EXN Special. If I don't like it either, I've spent enough money on China crap. I know that others don't see it that way and that I'm pilloried, but I've always been happier with AK and Sony in terms of the sound. Although not everything was perfect. But what iBasso did with the sound through the updates really sucks. This is only my opinion.
I agree absolutely on your actual complain. However, the rant is just a detriment to your very good point, the very good point being that the core aspect of a product should not change (and be expected to keep changing) after the product has been released/purchased (unless it's bug fixes).

But the rant isn't quite accurate, so it detracts from it. Afaik each brand has a general known sound signature and A&K from Korea has more of a reputation for the bright sound as far as I recall. iBasso usually is less bright than A&K, whereas Sony from Japan is known for a warm sound signature. I'm sure each company might have a brighter/warmer product too.

PS: Just remembered the EM5 from the Chinese company FiiO is waaarrrm and that's their flagship earbud.

Then I recall other companies from China and remembered ThieAudio and 64Audio, and the ThieAudio flagships (Monarch MkII & MkI, V16 Divinity) have been known to focus less on the treble compared to the US company 64Audio where products beyond their most famous U12t can be even brighter and sharper than it.

I don't feel Chinese companies are to blame for the bright sound basically. I know over a decade ago the higher-end audiophile equipment tended to be bright for perception of soundstage and detail, and at that point, chi-fi was not even considered mid-fi by anyone. Basically, this illusion that Chinese companies are responsible for bright sound is the illusion caused by the fact that they are producing more new products frequently, but in fact they are simply following an existing trend that they did not create.

But back to your main point, I totally agree if it's not a bug fix, companies should not change the core aspect of a product, since people buy it after researching the sound and changing the sound changes the product.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #3,545 of 10,353
Did any review or comparaison of DX320 with another AK Maxx product could be the cause of this change of tone in the firmware?
Else what inputs did iBasso receive to change the signature? I'm seeing this as a requirement from the product manager not a bug so it has to be justified somehow.

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #3,546 of 10,353
Did any review or comparaison of DX320 with another AK Maxx product could be the cause of this change of tone in the firmware?
Else what inputs did iBasso receive to change the signature? I'm seeing this as a requirement from the product manager not a bug so it has to be justified somehow.
I think the new sound is dedicated to the amp 13, when the stock amp still sounds the best with OG firmware. And here is the main problem. Hope IBasso will solve this is issue.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #3,547 of 10,353
I think the new sound is dedicated to the amp 13, when the stock amp still sounds the best with OG firmware. And here is the main problem. Hope IBasso will solve this is issue.
Thanks @RIGATIO

So you mean you need to decide the firmware you are using based on your are possessing an AMP13 or not?

seems like very user unfriendly and also most listeners will just update to last firmware even if not having AMP13.

Would it be possible to have an entry menu and then choose a specific signature?
It is a serious feature discovery problem we have here if confirmed.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #3,548 of 10,353

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #3,550 of 10,353
I kinda want to return mine ?!? I didn’t know the dx320 had so many issues
There aren't. I use it everyday, direct and LO to my desktop amps with great results.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #3,551 of 10,353
I haven't heard Cayin until now. I don't even want to try it anymore. I've heard Shanling M9 and M7. All too light for me. I don't like Fiio at all. If iBasso doesn't get the problem with the sound under control and I don't like the 12 EXN special, I'll go back to AK. I'm not an ibasso fanboy.
in n8ii thread people report after firmware update it sounds even much better

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #3,552 of 10,353
Dang, good think I didn't buy the DX320 yet, probably not the best idea to buy a new DAP that just launched.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #3,553 of 10,353
Manufacturers will always disclaim that “we changed nothing that would result in sound altering performances” or something among those lines. The problem is that sound is subjective, and if they don’t use any EQ at all, then they really did not alter it under any meanings. However, there are more to it than just that. Then, once again, is is subjective, so we don’t have to talk about this. If you favor one version of firmware over the other, then why not be using it ? Share your impressions with us, and we All appreciate it.

Rooting the Dx320, assigning core processing and prioritizing also result in a better performances in sound quality for AndroidOS

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #3,554 of 10,353
I can honestly say. I don't want to spend any more money on iBasso products. I'm totally disappointed that the sound was messed up with the current firmware. And with the original firmware, amp 13 does not work. If nothing changes there, I will no longer buy Dap from China. Then I tend to stick to the Japanese and Koreans. Not that you misunderstand me. The sound with the DX320 in its original state was stunning. The updates screwed up. The Chinese seem to like the emphasis on the upper-midrange. I hate it, personally I don't like it at all. That's why I'll refrain from buying anything from China for now. I wasn't very happy with all things. Fiio was particularly bad for me. With DX 300 I was only happy thanks to Whitigir with Amp 12W .That's why I don't buy anything anymore. I am now waiting for amp 12 EXN Special. If I don't like it either, I've spent enough money on China crap. I know that others don't see it that way and that I'm pilloried, but I've always been happier with AK and Sony in terms of the sound. Although not everything was perfect. But what iBasso did with the sound through the updates really sucks. This is only my opinion.
The Amp11.2MUSE-X is currently focused on addressing the upper mid emphasizes which comes from ROHM and Ibasso house sound as a signatures. Then what I am having here is a wonderful system. The best I have heard yet, and it is miles away from N8ii. It isn’t cheap or easy to make, with the possibility that there can only be a limited number made due to the obsoletion of parts. There are more that can be done, but it will be astronomically expensive. However, Ibasso Dx300/320 is the only portable platform that can enjoy These upgrades of Film Foil Caps.

What struck me the most is that this system does not heat up, and it can go on for 9 hours nicely.

A&K also have that upper mid emphasized, except that it has a different tuning bass :wink:, but this is the thing I also do not like. From all of China origin products, I stick to and love Ibasso a lot, because it is so versatile, with parts always available and Paul is awesome!

Hold on a sec, Have you checked out Dx300Max yet ? It has AKM, and you may find their upper mid to be more satisfying. If traveling down the modification road is not something of your interests

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back