DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 17, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #2,866 of 10,347
Since a few people brought it up already, here is my 2c about DX320, AMP13, and EMI/RF interference. When dealing with a modular design, you have a very limited room to play with, trying to fit a single NuTube on a small board, which, btw, the reason why output is SE since you need two modules for a balanced signal path. DX240 can’t even support that, and it was a challenge to stuff AMP9 in those chassis, thus it never happened. But here with DX320 you have just enough room for a single module, amplifier circuit, and two headphone jacks.

When integrating NuTubes in a non-modular design, you have more room to play with, to build the DAP around NuTubes in order to have a better isolation and shielding and to have some kind of a suspension for shock absorption. I’m referring to N8ii where you have bigger chassis with a separate isolated compartment like a Faraday Cage, keeping tube modules away from the rest of the ckt, suspended in a separate shockproof enclosure. With DX320, we have a slim modular design with a limited room on a module board and a small pocket of space where the module goes in.

With wifi off, I found no issues related to EMI/RF. When wifi is on and I’m streaming, I do hear intermittent mild crackling. With the type of music I’m listening to, this crackling gets drowned in sound, but in some songs with quieter passages, I can hear it. It is exactly the same as I hear with SP2000T in NuTube or SS/NuTube hybrid modes, and that DAP is not even modular. I’m not making excuses for iBasso, just being realistic. DX320 was not designed around NuTubes, it was designed with a capability of a modular expansion with NuTube being one of the optional modules.

Now, regarding the sound of AMP13, it actually exceeded my expectations. Personally, I was never a big fan of AMP9 because I use a lot of IEMs, with some being quite sensitive, and the noise floor of AMP9 was too much for those. Here, I’m VERY surprised to hear a low noise floor and almost pitch-black background on BOTH of the outputs and even while testing sensitive IEMs like Andromeda. I went through Andro, Phoenix, Traillii, Jewel, and of course IT07, trying both 3.5mm outputs in high gain, and there is NO hissing. You do hear a bit of a tube ringing every time you insert iems and start playing, but that ringing fades away after a few seconds. And when streaming, I do get some intermittent crackling, and unfortunately that doesn’t go away. Maybe someone will come up with a clever shielding cover that will fit over the NuTube module.

I guess it is part of a compromise because a modular design has its limitations. But IMHO, the sound quality of AMP13 outweighs these cons. AMP13 brings out a natural liquid tonality infused with a hi-res technical performance of ROHM DACs. This organic hi-res sound performance and a big holographic soundstage is so addictive, I don’t even mind using 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter (using DDHifi DJ44C) since most of my cables are 4.4mm terminated. And for me personally, I stream a lot of Amazon Music HD and Tidal, mostly EDM and Top40, so intermittent EMI crackling is not an issue, but I can see how it could be for some playing classical or instrumental music, unless you download it for off-line listening and can turn the wifi off. For a local playback with wireless radio off, it is not an issue.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #2,867 of 10,347
Not sure if you are using it

Android file transfer app is usually recommended to use with iBasso daps and macbook for file transfer

I do it this way sometimes, for larger transfers i might use a external card reader for more ease

Also i find a second party usb c cable better for file transfer than the stock (which i use for charging)
I am using Android file transfer. It's reliability is completely different in Android mode and in Mango OS mode.
Ofir

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #2,868 of 10,347
I guess it is part of a compromise because a modular design has its limitations. But IMHO, the sound quality of AMP13 outweighs these cons. AMP13 brings out a natural liquid tonality infused with a hi-res technical performance of ROHM DACs. This organic hi-res sound performance and a big holographic soundstage is so addictive, I don’t even mind using 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter (using DDHifi DJ44C) since most of my cables are 4.4mm terminated. And for me personally, I stream a lot of Amazon Music HD and Tidal, mostly EDM and Top40, so intermittent EMI crackling is not an issue, but I can see how it could be for some playing classical or instrumental music, unless you download it for off-line listening and can turn the wifi off. For a local playback with wireless radio off, it is not an issue.

Hi @twister6, do you think adding 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter will compromise or even degrade sound quality?

I have all of my cable terminated in 4.4mm too, and i'm planning to get Amp13 with that ddhifi adapter.

Jun 17, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,869 of 10,347
I am using Android file transfer. It's reliability is completely different in Android mode and in Mango OS mode.
Ofir
Android side is android

Mango side is linux

So probably some compatibility issues there.
I always load on the Android side with Android File Transfer

Jun 17, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #2,872 of 10,347
An update on the charging issue:
- I have tested it with a QC 3.0 charger and can confirm it charges fairly rapidly even when playing music (IEMs, 16 bit flac, screen off)
- it seems to have problems with PD, unfortunately. Maybe ibasso can fix that in a future firmware
- it will discharge whilst playing if it is plugged into a simple USB port with 1A or less, like you find in an airplane or trains. This is unfortunate and means you need to carry an external battery. Fortunately there are some that can fast charge.

Anyhow, it sounds great so it's not going back, I think I can live with it.

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,873 of 10,347
Android is also Linux. Just saying...
Seems like other things on the Android side might not be as smooth as they should... I had 2 random reboots and buttons doing other things then designated...
I find the Mango OS sound far better where the Android side was not that good. Yes, needs a burn in... that said, I have an AK SE200 and an M1Z and there is a limit to what a burn in can do. Will listen more later and report :)

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #2,874 of 10,347
Seems like other things on the Android side might not be as smooth as they should... I had 2 random reboots and buttons doing other things then designated...
I find the Mango OS sound far better where the Android side was not that good. Yes, needs a burn in... that said, I have an AK SE200 and an M1Z and there is a limit to what a burn in can do. Will listen more later and report :)
If you're on a stock amp, i would highly recommend you to use Neutron when on Android. It sounds way better.
But with amp13 i find every app sounding at least great, even Android Mango, which i use now more often as is quite convenient when i switch back an forth for streaming or local.
How would you compare the se200 to the dx320? Se180 and 200 are the only daps from AK which i haven't have a chance to listen to.

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #2,875 of 10,347
Since a few people brought it up already, here is my 2c about DX320, AMP13, and EMI/RF interference. When dealing with a modular design, you have a very limited room to play with, trying to fit a single NuTube on a small board, which, btw, the reason why output is SE since you need two modules for a balanced signal path. DX240 can’t even support that, and it was a challenge to stuff AMP9 in those chassis, thus it never happened. But here with DX320 you have just enough room for a single module, amplifier circuit, and two headphone jacks.

When integrating NuTubes in a non-modular design, you have more room to play with, to build the DAP around NuTubes in order to have a better isolation and shielding and to have some kind of a suspension for shock absorption. I’m referring to N8ii where you have bigger chassis with a separate isolated compartment like a Faraday Cage, keeping tube modules away from the rest of the ckt, suspended in a separate shockproof enclosure. With DX320, we have a slim modular design with a limited room on a module board and a small pocket of space where the module goes in.

With wifi off, I found no issues related to EMI/RF. When wifi is on and I’m streaming, I do hear intermittent mild crackling. With the type of music I’m listening to, this crackling gets drowned in sound, but in some songs with quieter passages, I can hear it. It is exactly the same as I hear with SP2000T in NuTube or SS/NuTube hybrid modes, and that DAP is not even modular. I’m not making excuses for iBasso, just being realistic. DX320 was not designed around NuTubes, it was designed with a capability of a modular expansion with NuTube being one of the optional modules.

Now, regarding the sound of AMP13, it actually exceeded my expectations. Personally, I was never a big fan of AMP9 because I use a lot of IEMs, with some being quite sensitive, and the noise floor of AMP9 was too much for those. Here, I’m VERY surprised to hear a low noise floor and almost pitch-black background on BOTH of the outputs and even while testing sensitive IEMs like Andromeda. I went through Andro, Phoenix, Traillii, Jewel, and of course IT07, trying both 3.5mm outputs in high gain, and there is NO hissing. You do hear a bit of a tube ringing every time you insert iems and start playing, but that ringing fades away after a few seconds. And when streaming, I do get some intermittent crackling, and unfortunately that doesn’t go away. Maybe someone will come up with a clever shielding cover that will fit over the NuTube module.

With your Xe6 Dx320 and Amp13, is it a good match?

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #2,876 of 10,347
Android is also Linux. Just saying...

Well, to be more precise, Android is based on Linux (kernel) with all other "bloat" on top of it :D Some other daps have audio performance mode where they kill/disable a bunch of background processes to save resources. Here, you actually reboot to load either full Android 11 or Mango/Linux OS.

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #2,878 of 10,347
Actually you can do the same here. Tap a few times on Build version and the Developer menu appears. There, you can turn off animations (highly recommended) and set the background processes limit to whatever you like. I have mine set to 1 but you can switch them off altogether.

Generally by Linux/Unix we mean the kernel as there are literally hundreds of distributions that vary wildly. iOS, IpadOS and MacOS are also Unix based.

Don't think it's the same, optimizing or limiting vs loading a clean OS without wifi/bt and other junk.

Jun 17, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #2,879 of 10,347
No, it's not. Android will always have more stuff going on, it's a mobile OS, not a DAP OS. However, you can switch off WiFi, Bluetooth, location, background processes etc, while still being able to use your favourite player.

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #2,880 of 10,347
I have to admit that battery is draining very fast. I let it burning in this morning at 6H30 am, I come back at home now and it's turned off... so less than 8 hours, screen off, reading hi-res files only and airplane mode on. With amp11mk2s, medium gain, vol 30. Analog battery is 62%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back