DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 16, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #2,836 of 10,343
Am I crazy?

Just got the DX320. Copied some files to it when it was on Android. I am a macOS user. The copy operation was horrible. One file, pause, another file pause, etc.
Started playing some tracks. Paired it with Meze Elite. Sound was not so great.
Decided to reboot into Mango OS
Music is different. Lively. Holographic (this is pretty amazing for 0 hour play).
Connection to macOS is working properly.

anyone had similar issues?

Thanks,
Ofir

Jun 16, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #2,837 of 10,343
Am I crazy?

Just got the DX320. Copied some files to it when it was on Android. I am a macOS user. The copy operation was horrible. One file, pause, another file pause, etc.
Music is different. Lively. Holographic (this is pretty amazing for 0 hour play).

Thanks,
Ofir
Not as much but in general, as you most likely are well aware, the 320 needs to burn in, settle. For some things I prefer Mango other I like Android ok but I think Mango is the most musical and 3D.

Jun 16, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2,838 of 10,343
Am I crazy?

Thanks,
Ofir
I haven't tried transferring music by plugging the DX320 into an actual computer. It's USB 3.1, may be a potential driver issue with MAC (Is it TB3?) but that is speculation. I know sometimes TB3 doesn't play well with USB 3.1as USB C is essentially a form factor and not a specific standard. TB4 and USB 4 cables are supposed to be interchangeable so one cable will work on both but I would also try another cable also, 0referably not a TB3 cable.

Since most of my media is on my NAS I use Solid Explorer on Android to copy my music over. It's pretty steady at 20MBs so not great for that initial copy but does it over WiFi. Has tons of options. There are plenty of other android apps that do the same but a network share to your MAC would have to be already in place or setup in order to do this unless you have your music on a cloud provider like Google drive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220616-154427.png
    Screenshot_20220616-154427.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #2,839 of 10,343
I just did a factory reset (using @twister6 method) and installed a new firmware using local update option.
The issue with inverted volume still persists. Also from the beginning, the volume doesnt adjust or decrease smoothly. When i higher the volume level, there are jumps, like next step its getting quieter, next step louder like it should be, next step quiter again, next step louder again.
The same happens when i lower the volume.
Do you guys experience this as well?

Try to install it one more time. Can't explain why, but it worked for me after 2nd local install.

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,840 of 10,343
Also just figured out that having the EQ on in Mango player reduces volume output. Once it was turned off volume noticably went up. Didn't even know I had it on but it does reduce volume if you pick one the presets like Rock.

This is expected. To avoid clipping, when EQ is enabled the volume drops down to create extra headroom for adjustment.

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #2,842 of 10,343
Maybe someone with a better understanding of the internals of Amp12 may be able to answer this for me.

When you are using the line out, is the internal amp stage on the Amp12 card 100% bypassed? As in, it wouldn't matter whether you were using the line out on Amp12 or an Amp12EXN, they would sound the same as the internals were bypassed?
Yes, on Amp12 that is a true LO.

I have to experiment more with the mango eq but I feel like enabling the eq muffles the sound a little
Nah, it isn't muffled, it simply drops the pre-gain by either 6 or 12dB (I don't remember which) to allow for adjustment of up to 12dB on any frequency without clipping at the output, much like what @twister6 said a few posts up. Other players like UAPP and Neutron DO have an auto gain, but most times it doesn't activate unless there is actual clipping (it is reactive rather that proactive). But, you can also set the pre-gain on those apps so that it never clips in the first place. :)

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #2,843 of 10,343
Am I crazy?

Thanks,
Ofir
Not sure if you are using it

Android file transfer app is usually recommended to use with iBasso daps and macbook for file transfer

I do it this way sometimes, for larger transfers i might use a external card reader for more ease

Also i find a second party usb c cable better for file transfer than the stock (which i use for charging)

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #2,844 of 10,343
Try to install it one more time. Can't explain why, but it worked for me after 2nd local install.
Unfortunately it didnt help but thanx.
The reversed volume control doesnt bother me much.
What annoys me quite a bit is lack of smoothness when changing the volume. Next step louder, next step quiter, then louder etc.
Its like the volume reacts only every second step going higher or lower. Like the scale is reduced by a half and these steps between dont do much, just being quiter or louder but out of correct sound scaling.
@Paul - iBasso is it possible that my amp is damaged or is it just a software issue?

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,845 of 10,343
I found a great way to mount the DX320 or any dap for using with headphones or as a source. Very easy, a tiny bit of modification to the mount, super easy to use and very, very solid. And tea time! Red tea today.

It holds the DX300MAX or 220MAX as well, zero problems with the weight and totally stable, no movement as you use button or change albums etc.

Electrostatics sound very good today from the 320 as a source today.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1483.jpeg
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #2,846 of 10,343
I found a great way to mount the DX320 or any dap for using with headphones or as a source. Very easy, a tiny bit of modification to the mount, super easy to use and very, very solid. And tea time! Red tea today.
Very nice!

For portability, I use a stand that came with my Moga controller (controller made for android phones). It has worked out great for me.

20220616_190303.jpg

20220616_190437.jpg

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,847 of 10,343
Question:

Those with Amp13 card and the DX320; have you noticed less battery life than with stock or 12 amp on the analog battery? I was curious because I noticed today (first full day with the new amp card) that not only does the analog battery drain faster with this one on my DX300, but I am only getting about 13 hours before the analog battery dies, compared to 16 with the other amp cards, and even then the digital battery dies before the analog one does normally. This is even with having Amazon HD streaming music for about 6 of those hours, and WiFi was on the whole time. When it did stop, it was 0% analog, and 40% digital.

I know it takes more to push tubes (and the extra op-amps), but I was just curious if it was that noticeable on the DX320 as it appears to be on the DX300?! Either way I will live with it, because it sounds too good give it up because of lesser battery life. Heck my DX160 only gets about 8 hours with everything shut off and playing local files only (no DSD)... :)

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #2,848 of 10,343
Question:

Those with Amp13 card and the DX320; have you noticed less battery life than with stock or 12 amp on the analog battery? I was curious because I noticed today (first full day with the new amp card) that not only does the analog battery drain faster with this one on my DX300, but I am only getting about 13 hours before the analog battery dies, compared to 16 with the other amp cards, and even then the digital battery dies before the analog one does normally. This is even with having Amazon HD streaming music for about 6 of those hours, and WiFi was on the whole time. When it did stop, it was 0% analog, and 40% digital.

I know it takes more to push tubes (and the extra op-amps), but I was just curious if it was that noticeable on the DX320 as it appears to be on the DX300?! Either way I will live with it, because it sounds too good give it up because of lesser battery life. Heck my DX160 only gets about 8 hours with everything shut off and playing local files only (no DSD)... :)
Yes, this amp drains the analog battery more. I like it actually, especially on the dx320 where the digital is going empty faster, so there is only 10% of a difference when with aother amps it was 20-30%.

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #2,849 of 10,343
Yes, this amp drains the analog battery more. I like it actually, especially on the dx320 where the digital is going empty faster, so there is only 10% of a difference when with aother amps it was 20-30%.
So you're saying that it STILL drains digital faster, just not that much faster than it did with stock and amp12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back