DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #2,401 of 10,343
Mine started to be more even on the drainage of both batteries after 2 days of none stop usage I think I am charging my dap twice a day with 24h usage.

It seems now to drain equally both batteries but definitely the analog side has a lot more juice.

And I saw a behaviour with changes is that it either start charging one batterie a time then switch to recharging the second battery once done the first one too 100%

I wonder how that affects battery longevity since it always have to be topes out to 100% hmmm ?
Cause I always try to follow my trusty rule of 20 to 90% and here is simply impossible

The fact that it has 2 batteries probably helps charge times and battery life in the long term. I think some of the switching is probably due to heat as that's the number one thing that will make a battery not hold a charge as long. Some smart phones are coming with 2 batteries simply because they can charge faster with 2 batteries. If you are pulling 50W and 25W is going to each battery instead of 50W going to a single battery it's obviously going to reduce heat which means a faster charge without ruining the battery.

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #2,402 of 10,343
Thanks for the info.
I am a fan of @Whitigir, and is still a proud owner of the Amp8EX.
Any chance for you to make another run of Amp12EXN like the round of Amp8EX?
Unfortunately, it isn’t me to decide that. But, instead of waiting for a special something run, you can now order one from Steve as @RIGATIO shared above.

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #2,404 of 10,343
Well i dare to say that its not about "personal preference". I understand "personal" as liking more neutral, reference, warm, bright, wide and open or more intimate etc. But im talking about realistic timbre. I think most people here would like to have realistic timbre asa reference, starting point. Then, sure, to each their own. Just my thoughts.
But maybe im going too far:)
Interesting point. I imagine that if you like a particular music genre, you may well look for characteristics that suit it - from the transducers especially. But for your source, I’m with you in wanting natural and lifelike sound, one that’s as true to the music as it was recorded as possible. On the basis of just a few days listening, I’m thinking the DX320 really delivers that. I’m finding it strikingly natural in the way it reproduces the timbre and individual sound of different instruments. This is particularly apparent in well recorded classical music or folk where the sense of players performing together in a room or hall, and the work of each individual performer, the character of their instrument, and the shifting dynamics is often beautifully conveyed. It’s just… very lifelike. There’s really nothing else I can say.

The obvious benchmark for me is to compare it to my Hugo2. That’s also a fine device, with great technical attributes and I’ve got to know it well. It’s early days, and I’m hesitant to sound in any way certain, but if the house was on fire and I could only grab one, I’m pretty sure I’d be jumping out of the window clutching the iBasso (With the cat in the other arm, obviously). Still, time will tell…

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #2,405 of 10,343
Interesting point. I imagine that if you like a particular music genre, you may well look for characteristics that suit it - from the transducers especially. But for your source, I’m with you in wanting natural and lifelike sound, one that’s as true to the music as it was recorded as possible. On the basis of just a few days listening, I’m thinking the DX320 really delivers that. I’m finding it strikingly natural in the way it reproduces the timbre and individual sound of different instruments. This is particularly apparent in well recorded classical music or folk where the sense of players performing together in a room or hall, and the work of each individual performer, the character of their instrument, and the shifting dynamics is often beautifully conveyed. It’s just… very lifelike. There’s really nothing else I can say.

The obvious benchmark for me is to compare it to my Hugo2. That’s also a fine device, with great technical attributes and I’ve got to know it well. It’s early days, and I’m hesitant to sound in any way certain, but if the house was on fire and I could only grab one, I’m pretty sure I’d be jumping out of the window clutching the iBasso (With the cat in the other arm, obviously). Still, time will tell…
I've heard the hugo2 (demoed multiple times at an audio shop), and I much prefer the dx320 in spite of the technical prowess that hugo2 provides.

To me, Hugo2 has a wider Soundstage, but that's pretty much the only advantage it has over the dx320. Hugo2 sounds colder and more clinical and lacks the dynamics, vividness, and fullness of the dx320.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #2,406 of 10,343
I've heard the hugo2 (demoed multiple times at an audio shop), and I much prefer the dx320 in spite of the technical prowess that hugo2 provides.

To me, Hugo2 has a wider Soundstage, but that's pretty much the only advantage it has over the dx320. Hugo2 sounds colder and more clinical and lacks the dynamics, vividness, and fullness of the dx320.
I’m inclined to agree with you. Hugo2 seems to have a more technical, digital sound, which probably explains why I keep wanting to pair it with tube amps! It’s ok in its own way, but it’s somewhat clinical character is certainly more apparent now I have the DX320. Apart from doing a few comparisons, I haven’t used it since the iBasso arrived - which is quite telling I think.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #2,407 of 10,343

Hugo2 performance is depend on your transport. Have you tried using DX320 as a transport for Hugo2 ?

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,408 of 10,343
Building on this:

This is how I would word it:

Chord Hugo 2 has AKM fluid transients and ending notes. With no old-school digital crunch.....though tonality is quite unforgiving in the upper-mids/lower-treble from how little it rolls-off. But the notes are quite rounded-out. It doesn't have the wide-staging almost binaural-feeling of some AKM implementations. You don't feel surrounded, just a really uncanny wide left/right presentation.

It lacks the leading strikes to notes & intensity of some ESS Sabre implementations. But does present the deep depth and distant-layering (instrument seperation) soundstaging of the ESS dac implementations. But that depth and layering is fluid unlike the harder/drier strikes I am used to in some ESS stuff.....Hugo2 has fluidity....but it is too soft in the leading strikes of notes.

Except in the subbass, Hugo 2 has a boost to the really deep subbass & can add weight to subbass. Too bad it doesn't have any weight enough intensity to the rest of the bass & rest of the frequency presentation.

This is probably why Hugo2, with its less intensity, is famous to be paired with the Focal Utopia headphone. Hugo 2 compensates for the intense strikes of the Utopia. Too bad it can't compensate for the slight 6kHz peak of the Focal Utopia's tonality.

The Ibasso dx300 amp11 kind of compensates for the tonality aspects of the Focal Utopia. While the Chord Hugo 2 compensates for its intensity.

Dx300 Amp12 comes somewhere between the amp11 and the Hugo2. Helps with the Utopia intensity and not enough on the tonality side as I would like. But you get the depth of the amp12 which is definitely approaching the Hugo 2 and shares alot of the presentation. I would like more intensity out of the amp12.

Overall, I feel the Hugo 2 benefits from having chains that compensates for it.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #2,409 of 10,343
I am having some issues how can I import my playlist into dx320 ? Any help please

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #2,410 of 10,343
My brother, really loving everyone's replies. I have Over 25 years experience in the audio world.. especially portable daps, the is a crazy jump in performance when going to the dx320 from the 300. I've had the amp 13 for a few days as well.. holy hell.. man, for the price I'm NEVER selling this combination. Any recommendations for IEMs to pair with it? I was thinking the 64 Fourte or the U18.. the odin is in the mix too. The amp 13 is so liquid.. just wow. Retains all the power and dynamics.. but now it has this analog quality that makes you feel like you have the best vinyl player in your pocket. The new 11.1 MK2 amp is also fantastic and better than the original. Just leaves my 12. Anyone want to buy an amp 12 for a good price. If you can't upgrade and still have the good old dx300, that's still your best option. My home rig is a JCAT XE audio card with its own linear power supply going into a Denafrips Gaia, then to. Terminator 2, then into an Athena.. and finally a Burson Soloist Grand Touer.. soon to be replaced by a ferrum Hypsos, Oor combo amp. Main headphones are hifiman Arya and Abyss Diana V2's. We are living in wonderful times for audio fellow gents.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #2,411 of 10,343
4 new toys arrived
My girls let me pick one
I went for this
Hope I took a good decision ... 🤔
IMG20220611145136-01.jpeg

Jun 11, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #2,413 of 10,343
Just got my DX320 and started burning it in with the burn-in cable. Love the sound out of the box, with the original firmware and stock amp!
Something weird happened while I was leaving it to burn in overnight though. I woke up this morning to my DX320 totally shut down even though it was connected a charger (and yes, the power was on in case you're wondering). Anyone has any idea why this happened? @Paul - iBasso Seems like a step further than the usual 'deep sleep' behaviour I've been reading about in this thread...:thinking:

Jun 11, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #2,414 of 10,343
Im thinking about getting amp13 for my 320. How would you compare the sound quality, the BASS and battery life to the dx320 but paired with amp12/EX/EXN? Thank you for any help!
You are going to end up buying it anyway, eventually.

You know it, i know it, everyone reading this knows it. lol

Save yourself any mental anguish and hit the buy button today.

:)

Jun 11, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #2,415 of 10,343
Just got my DX320 and started burning it in with the burn-in cable. Love the sound out of the box, with the original firmware and stock amp!
Something weird happened while I was leaving it to burn in overnight though. I woke up this morning to my DX320 totally shut down even though it was connected a charger (and yes, the power was on in case you're wondering). Anyone has any idea why this happened? @Paul - iBasso Seems like a step further than the usual 'deep sleep' behaviour I've been reading about in this thread...:thinking:
Hold the power button for 20 seconds, release and then hold it for 3 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back