DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
May 12, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #692 of 10,345
Eventually apps do obsolete if they are on an old OS and can’t update.

I’d imagine something subscription based would try to remain compatible for older OS versions for as long as they can.
That is upsetting news to me. Im not familiar with Ibasso Android updates and support, but saying u will only get 2-4 years support for the OS before the music streaming apps become null is not worth the price of admission.

May 12, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #694 of 10,345
That is upsetting news to me. Im not familiar with Ibasso Android updates and support, but saying u will only get 2-4 years support for the OS before the music streaming apps become null is not worth the price of admission.
There are daps still using much older Android OS and going fine.

May 12, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #695 of 10,345
Just pre-ordered! I think this is going to be a nice upgrade over my LG V40 ; )
$2499 Aussie dollaridoos...
Happy to give any feedback once I get it in my ears!
I still use my LG V40 and V50 as well

Here I thought I was the only one still holding on to the glory days of LG :). The V40 & 50 are no slouch of phones on the audio side... in fact they drive these boutique Final Audio Sonorous X cans beautifully.

But it's time for another DAP to *really* see what they can do... my venerable Calyx M (if anyone remembers that one-off gem) sounds fantastic, but there's absolutely zero online capability.

20220512_153311.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #696 of 10,345
My old Pioneer xdp-300r with Android 5.1 takes every streaming service like a champ. Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD. I dont think the dx300 will have any problems lasting at least 5 years with its OS. And there will be an upgrade to Android 11 for the dx300. Whats your problems guys? The life is too colorful?:)

May 12, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #697 of 10,345
I still use my LG V40 and V50 as well

Here I thought I was the only one still holding on to the glory days of LG :). The V40 & 50 are no slouch of phones on the audio side... in fact they drive these boutique Final Audio Sonorous X cans beautifully.

But it's time for another DAP to *really* see what they can do...

20220512_153311.jpg
I still use both as well
Even drive my 300 Ohm Sennheiser
Who would expect that from a cellphone
And perfect road warrior actually
And yes the V50 has an awesome screen with 1440p and still fast as well !

May 12, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #698 of 10,345
My old Pioneer xdp-300r with Android 5.1 takes every streaming service like a champ. Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD. I dont think the dx300 will have any problems lasting at least 5 years with its OS. And there will be an upgrade to Android 11 for the dx300. Whats your problems guys? The life is too colorful?:)
Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure how these daps were handling updates on the android end and its effect on streaming apps. Thats good to hear.

May 12, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #699 of 10,345
Do you keep a DAP for 4 years or longer ?
I plan on it. I was going the dongle route, but this and the Sony walkman around the same price have perked my interest. I use Apple Music (lossless & hi-res), so streaming support is essential. One thing I shouldn't have disregarded is that this is a very healthy resale community. As niche as it is. Always have to remind myself that when taking the plunge for the more expensive gear.

May 12, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #701 of 10,345
I wouldn’t even attempt trying to casually carry around an M17:slight_smile:.

I must admit that if I wasn’t planning on purchasing a desktop amp I would have most likely settled on the M17; those Sennheiser HD8XX need boatloads of power to be at their best.
You'll find that even an average priced desktop amp is better. A serious power source is big, capacitors take space and so on. If you could have a desktop sound from a "portable" device no manufacturer would make desktop sized amps. It's not like FiiO discovered the secret of miniaturisation and nobody else can do that.

I have a DX220 and two desktop amps, Burson Soloist 3X and Cayin HA-6A. Both are in a different league compared to the DX220. And I don't mean output power, even though both have a lot more power. I don't deny M17 might sound better than DX220 (on battery, while plugged-in it even loses the clean power delivery of a battery), but I am 100% it doesn't get anywhere near a desktop amp.

May 12, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #702 of 10,345
And yes the V50 has an awesome screen with 1440p and still fast as well!

And nice cameras with no bump whatsoever. Probably the best phone LG made, but too bad with Sprint dead & its low-rent 1st Gen 5G pretty officially makes the phone function of the V50 dead as well. I tried to get it to work properly with T-Mobile...but got incredibly frustrated and eventually threw in the towel. Now it's a great... media player.

Perfect nail-in-the-coffin scenario for LG.

May 12, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #703 of 10,345
I was quite happy to hear that Ibasso will be updating the dx300 to android 11. Could add 2 more years potentially before the player goes obsolete with my streaming services (Apple Music and Qobuz).

No worry for this scenario at all.
I have Android 8 on my LG V30s and these apps run better on that than than the newer OS. For instance on my phone, for whatever reason DSD native playback (a major feature for me) is disabled if you go over Android 9. A10 and above it converts DSD to PCM which is completely against the whole format purpose....so I've fought tooth and nail (package disabler anyone?) to keep my carrier V40 on 9.

You will be done with the DAP well before the apps stop working on it.

May 12, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #704 of 10,345
You'll find that even an average priced desktop amp is better. A serious power source is big, capacitors take space and so on. If you could have a desktop sound from a "portable" device no manufacturer would make desktop sized amps. It's not like FiiO discovered the secret of miniaturisation and nobody else can do that.

I have a DX220 and two desktop amps, Burson Soloist 3X and Cayin HA-6A. Both are in a different league compared to the DX220. And I don't mean output power, even though both have a lot more power. I don't deny M17 might sound better than DX220 (on battery, while plugged-in it even loses the clean power delivery of a battery), but I am 100% it doesn't get anywhere near a desktop amp.
Speaking from someone that actually owns m17, dx312, and a topping a30/d30 stack I can confirm that in fact the m17 is neck and neck with my desktop stack. Not saying it's the same with your desktop stack. Also, I've got a power conditioner 6400ISO that my BRZHIFI linear PSU for the m17 is plugged into. All with custom power cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back