DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
May 11, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #676 of 10,346
May 11, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #677 of 10,346
Which headphones are you experiencing this bliss with?
It is playing very well with the SR2 and the Utopia. I haven't tried the others yet.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #680 of 10,346
Why do you like this better then the M17 if I may ask?

M17 needs to be mounted on a fan cooled stand and plugged into a wall outlet to see the power advantage it has over a DX320 and I don’t want to be moving around my house with a brick in hand. I am also not a fan of ESS sound signature, though I do like the ESS presentation with a warm sounding IEM.

May 12, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #681 of 10,346
M17 needs to be mounted on a fan cooled stand and plugged into a wall outlet to see the power advantage it has over a DX320 and I don’t want to be moving around my house with a brick in hand. I am also not a fan of ESS sound signature, though I do like the ESS presentation with a warm sounding IEM.
Imagine travelling with that thing on you. I mean... even dx320 is a stretch for a portable device.

May 12, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #682 of 10,346
We can learn one thing from this: don't dare stand in @Whitigir's way when it comes to modifying :wink:

In all seriousness, some manufacturers are looking for a way to cut corners and put in the least amount of effort — by this I mean that they cannot be bothered to "waste" their time fixing "altered" original products. Some companies don't want you messing with its products and want the product to be the final version.

However, I think we can all appreciate companies such as iBasso (Sony, Shanling, Fiio) that are "like" open-source, allowing people to take their products to the next level. That's a big royalty to have. No gatekeeping, no nothing — you support our company by buying our products? If you know your crap, feel free to mod and mess around with the product at your own risk. If you mess up, we are here for you at your own cost. I think that's pretty fair. Gatekeeping is not cool, but I can understand it, it's like the big consumer market (e.g. Apple).... but if iBasso, Sony, Fiio, and Shanling (all the big boys in the DAP space) are offering this sort of service to their customers, it feels pretty weird to not have such support.
On a related note, I was quite happy to hear that Ibasso will be updating the dx300 to android 11. Could add 2 more years potentially before the player goes obsolete with my streaming services (Apple Music and Qobuz).

Do manufacturers do this that often? I thought DAPs OS were never updated. I actually was hesitating on the dx300 as some players were already shipping with Android 10.

May 12, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #683 of 10,346
On a related note, I was quite happy to hear that Ibasso will be updating the dx300 to android 11. Could add 2 more years potentially before the player goes obsolete with my streaming services (Apple Music and Qobuz).

Do manufacturers do this that often? I thought DAPs OS were never updated. I actually was hesitating on the dx300 as some players were already shipping with Android 10.
I have seen iBasso update the Android when they can but I haven't seen other manufactures do it, but would guess some may have. They have their own software team (in-house) so they go the extra mile.

May 12, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #684 of 10,346
Ibasso might even update the DX240 to Android 11 since it's using the same SoC.

May 12, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #685 of 10,346
I am really waiting for oportunity to compare my beloved M17 to the new DX320, when it will be available in my local audio store to test :) somehow I don't think that the ibasso will be better sounding in any terms compared to M17. Now I'm totally satisfied with the sound of M17 even without DC mode...but will wait and see finally...who knows...the price is very competitive between these two...so will see how they perform... 🤔 :) in terms of power output, dynamics and detail retrieval M17 is king for the price atm :wink:
FB_IMG_1652373681439.jpg
FB_IMG_1652373687915.jpg

May 12, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #686 of 10,346

Is this a thing? Once the OS is no longer supported, are the apps unusable? I planned on using Apple Music.

May 12, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #690 of 10,346
Imagine travelling with that thing on you. I mean... even dx320 is a stretch for a portable device.

I wouldn’t even attempt trying to casually carry around an M17:slight_smile:.

I must admit that if I wasn’t planning on purchasing a desktop amp I would have most likely settled on the M17; those Sennheiser HD8XX need boatloads of power to be at their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back