DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Oct 21, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #6,931 of 10,353
Diminishing returns, am I just getting the last 2%?
I purchased an A&KSP 3000 and don’t see what all the fuss is about. Yes, the background is inky black, decent detail but I was expecting the Lord Almighty to nibble on my earlobes. Thinking I should just go To the ibasso 320 and save some significant dollars or get a new set of open back headphones, along with the new dap.
Thoughts?

I have both SP3000 and DX320x with AMP12, the difference between both is percentages. It depends what you’re after really. The iBasso sounds more dynamic and engaging. The SP3000 is more laid back and smoother. For me, I’m keeping the SP3000 and selling off the rest of my DAPS because those small % is worth it to me. The black background you mention is why, it just allows me to listen at lower volumes and get more detail. If you’re expecting SP3000 to blow you away over the DX320, well.. it won’t. It’s also significantly worse value but no one associates value and AK together anyways.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #6,932 of 10,353
I have both SP3000 and DX320x with AMP12, the difference between both is percentages. It depends what you’re after really. The iBasso sounds more dynamic and engaging. The SP3000 is more laid back and smoother. For me, I’m keeping the SP3000 and selling off the rest of my DAPS because those small % is worth it to me. The black background you mention is why, it just allows me to listen at lower volumes and get more detail. If you’re expecting SP3000 to blow you away over the DX320, well.. it won’t. It’s also significantly worse value but no one associates value and AK together anyways.
The DX320 with the AMP13 is, IMO, no contest. Even more open, spacious and natural than the SP3000. But like you say, we all have our preferences and then there are what I suspect, more AMP modules to come.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #6,933 of 10,353
The DX320 with the AMP13 is, IMO, no contest. Even more open, spacious and natural than the SP3000. But like you say, we all have our preferences and then there are what I suspect, more AMP modules to come.

3.5mm only of the AMP 13 rules it out for me unfortunately. I am really loving the AMP 12 and 320x though. If I wasn't weird and was okay with using more than one DAP then I'd keep both.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #6,934 of 10,353
3.5mm only of the AMP 13 rules it out for me unfortunately. I am really loving the AMP 12 and 320x though. If I wasn't weird and was okay with using more than one DAP then I'd keep both.
I use the DDHifi 4.4 to 3.5 even for the Expanse and it works great. I use a lot of balanced but the AMP13 is amazing and I prefer it to many amps, even desktop.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #6,935 of 10,353
I purchased an A&KSP 3000 and don’t see what all the fuss is about. Yes, the background is inky black, decent detail but I was expecting the Lord Almighty to nibble on my earlobes. Thinking I should just go To the ibasso 320 and save some significant dollars or get a new set of open back headphones, along with the new dap.
Thoughts?

The SP3000 looked very appealing and still looks very cool. I've always disliked how narrow the screens looked, but it looks like they made the SP3000 wider, equipped with the latest AK4499EX DACs and a brand new UI.
Has the 4.4mm output now (introduced it with the Kann Alpha) which is a nice edition.
They still did not update the microscopic side buttons....

So why didn't I buy one???

I fell in love with my DX320, I don't think there is another DAP that could move me this way for the next few years.

With my U12Ts with the latest Neutron at D2 filter and JVC Spiral Dots ++ eartips, this setup is hard to beat at a reasonable price point.

The DX320 has way more juice than the SP3000 to drive headphones and I know many use the Meze Elite and Sennheiser HD800s with the DX320 and love the combination. The DX320 has a clean and dynamic sound signature, the ROHM DAC is no joke.

My DX320 also has a modded AMP12 (EXN2) from NPaudio and it improved the dynamics and clarity, which makes the DX320 a very clear hands down winner vs the SP3000.

You won't get Neutron with the SP3000 also.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #6,936 of 10,353
The SP3000 looked very appealing and still looks very cool. I've always disliked how narrow the screens looked, but it looks like they made the SP3000 wider, equipped with the latest AK4499EX DACs and a brand new UI.
Has the 4.4mm output now (introduced it with the Kann Alpha) which is a nice edition.
They still did not update the microscopic side buttons....

So why didn't I buy one???

I fell in love with my DX320, I don't think there is another DAP that could move me this way for the next few years.

With my U12Ts with the latest Neutron at D2 filter and JVC Spiral Dots ++ eartips, this setup is hard to beat at a reasonable price point.

The DX320 has way more juice than the SP3000 to drive headphones and I know many use the Meze Elite and Sennheiser HD800s with the DX320 and love the combination. The DX320 has a clean and dynamic sound signature, the ROHM DAC is no joke.

My DX320 also has a modded AMP12 (EXN2) from NPaudio and it improved the dynamics and clarity, which makes the DX320 a very clear hands down winner vs the SP3000.

You won't get Neutron with the SP3000 also.

I also have the modded AMP12 and can confirm the improved dynamics and clarity. I would also mention the holographic soundstage.

I will receive soon a modded AMP13.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #6,937 of 10,353
Thoughts?
You expected too much. Besides, the AK are overpriced these days.
The black background makes some difference, thats why im sticking to the M8 which has very black background (not only with sensitive iems but also its like a black hole and this makes the music popping out more).
But paying 2500 dol more for a background? No way.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #6,938 of 10,353
I also have the modded AMP12 and can confirm the improved dynamics and clarity. I would also mention the holographic soundstage.

I will receive soon a modded AMP13.
I have my AMP12 with non polar Black Gates bypassed with non polar Black Gates. All almost impossible to fine now new but I have a little stock I bought years ago. The amazing thing about BGs is that they maintain their uF and great ESR even when 15 years old. Even Audio Note UK, did not duplicate the material used for them due to the extreme expense.

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #6,939 of 10,353
Thoughts?
If I used a machine and filled up 1 gallon of milk in 1 bottle and another with 2% less in the same sizes of bottle, could you tell the differences ? :). However, you are right, technically speaking, the SP3K is 130Db dynamic range, which is 5+ higher than SP2K of 125Db

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #6,940 of 10,353
With my U12Ts with the latest Neutron at D2 filter and JVC Spiral Dots ++ eartips, this setup is hard to beat at a reasonable price point....

We have same setup, I use Azla Standar love these tips, give it a try if you can.

The DX320 has way more juice than the SP3000 to drive headphones and I know many use the Meze Elite...

Agree with the Elite is phenomenal I used the other day, that is the reason why the Meze is in my list 😁 I also prefer the DX320 over my desk setup, not a fan of the amp 13 honestly.

Oct 21, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #6,941 of 10,353
If I used a machine and filled up 1 gallon of milk in 1 bottle and another with 2% less in the same sizes of bottle, could you tell the differences ? :). However, you are right, technically speaking, the SP3K is 130Db dynamic range, which is 5+ higher than SP2K of 125Db
And none can hear the difference between 120Db and 280Db haha. We are not bats. Every source that can keep 120Db of dynamic range with up to 140Db of sound pressure (that kills your hearing instantly), having a proper tuning, can be called high end.
When you cross the bar of 1500 dol (sometimes even below 1000) in daps, you can sleep peacefully, knowing that this is the time to enjoy experimenting with headphones. All you need to care about is the tuning of your source and ask yourself if you enjoy it. If yes, just stop:)

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #6,942 of 10,353
And none can hear the difference between 120Db and 280Db haha. We are not bats. Every source that can keep 120Db of dynamic range with up to 140Db of sound pressure (that kills your hearing instantly), having a proper tuning, can be called high end.
When you cross the bar of 1500 dol (sometimes even below 1000) in daps, you can sleep peacefully, knowing that this is the time to enjoy experimenting with headphones. All you need to care about is the tuning of your source and ask yourself if you enjoy it. If yes, just stop:)
Well, people would counter your point that AK tuning is unique, and the more expensive is the more unique their tuning is. Down to earth the best tuning for high end systems. So, you are either an AK fan and enjoying the best tuning on earth, or you are a typical hobbyist, all others excuses don’t matter

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #6,943 of 10,353
Well, people would counter your point that AK tuning is unique, and the more expensive is the more unique their tuning is. Down to earth the best tuning for high end systems. So, you are either an AK fan and enjoying the best tuning on earth, or you are a typical hobbyist, all others excuses don’t matter
After listening to almost all AK players, i praise Shanling tuning more. But im noob and cant appreciate this fantastic, golden AK standard :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #6,944 of 10,353
I'm just wondering, and this is an open question to everybody here. Is there any other company that has the same longevity of products as iBasso?

I know that a year or so is not that much, but iBasso taking care of DX300 and DX300 MAX just makes me wonder whether other companies offer anything similar. I know that some have made modular designs, but how much did they end up supporting them? How many new modules were releasing for such systems? As for iBasso, I only see it expanding the DX300/DX320 amp module lineup... And what about the past? The recently released DX240 still supports the old amp modules.

My point is not to fanboy, I am genuinely wondering how other companies support their old systems and products. Genuine is the key word. Knowing that other players on the market don't "suffer" from the modular amp design, so I'm wondering as to how much the manufacturer(s) supports these players software-wise.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #6,945 of 10,353
I'm just wondering, and this is an open question to everybody here. Is there any other company that has the same longevity of products as iBasso?

I know that a year or so is not that much, but iBasso taking care of DX300 and DX300 MAX just makes me wonder whether other companies offer anything similar. I know that some have made modular designs, but how much did they end up supporting them? How many new modules were releasing for such systems? As for iBasso, I only see it expanding the DX300/DX320 amp module lineup... And what about the past? The recently released DX240 still supports the old amp modules.

My point is not to fanboy, I am genuinely wondering how other companies support their old systems and products. Genuine is the key word. Knowing that other players on the market don't "suffer" from the modular amp design, so I'm wondering as to how much the manufacturer(s) supports these players software-wise.
supports ? What supports ? Beside Ibasso from China, every other companies are pretty horrid, and I am speaking from experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back