DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jul 11, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #3,976 of 10,347
I have not tested this yet, but you've given me something to play with lol

Time to find a cable USB C to USB C
If you can't find one, rather than buying "one more cable" you could just get one of these. I did, because I already have too many cables to keep track of.

I needed it for the cable from PC to DAP, but also my Hifiman Deva can use USB-C to USB-C also. :)
That would have fit my left brain thinking long ago. Makes sense. I do the same on the 320 with local music vs. Qobuz playlist downloads.

I have the local music collection (mostly FLAC now, some DSD) on one of my Macs external hard drives. It's all ../music/artist/album structure. Every two years since 2007 it's been copied to a new iPhone. In 2013, for a 4 year span it was copied to SD cards for Android. In mid 2017 back to iOS.

FWIW, I did use Neutron exclusively on a One+ phone (still have, OxygenOS 9, rooted). Tried comparing settings and UI setup from that Neutron install (which has no SD card slot) to the DX320 & Neutron setup. For the life of me, on the 320 I couldn't (or something wouldn't) match what I was used to seeing, game over, gave up.

When the next iBasso FW hits, I'll go through the reset option, debloat the OS via ADB, then stick with Poweramp, Qobuz and Wavelet (EQ for Qobuz).

Now....my right brain just wants it to work without thinking about it, or the details behind it, and the time to troubleshoot/figure it out has evaporated.Great music & SQ, easy squeezy UI, all else be damned. If Poweramp existed on the iOS side, I'd be all over it there too.
IKR? Sometimes you just want to turn it on, press play and enjoy! Though, I sometimes overthink these things anyhow... :thinking:

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #3,977 of 10,347
Here is what I am listening to this afternoon/evening. These have the distinct privilege of being the first (or close) in three ways. They were one of the first "coated" drivers on the market. They were also one of the first to have a semi-open design. Next, they were one of the first to have cable control for android (not IOS). These were ChiFi before there was such a thing. They were highly praised back in the day for being so cheap and sounding "audiophile". I think I bought mine for $14 back in 2014. And for all that they STILL sound fantastic! :)

20220711_160839.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #3,978 of 10,347
Here is what I am listening to this afternoon/evening. These have the distinct privilege of being the first (or close) in three ways. They were one of the first "coated" drivers on the market. They were also one of the first to have a semi-open design. Next, they were one of the first to have cable control for android (not IOS). These were ChiFi before there was such a thing. They were highly praised back in the day for being so cheap and sounding "audiophile". I think I bought mine for $14 back in 2014. And for all that they STILL sound fantastic! :)

20220711_160839.jpg
Will be missing this smooth UI from IBasso:) fortunately still quite smooth but no comparison heh.

Jul 11, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #3,981 of 10,347
how dose max compared to gold bar?
Gold has more pronounced mids, bit more aggressive but very detailed. It's kinda wet but slightly less natural, more digital sounding. Will be trying the gold bar combined with LG v40 on Wednesday, will let you know how it pairs with better source. For now i connected it to my PC.

Jul 11, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #3,982 of 10,347
Gold has more pronounced mids, bit more aggressive but very detailed. It's kinda wet but slightly less natural, more digital sounding. Will be trying the gold bar combined with LG v40 on Wednesday, will let you know how it pairs with better source. For now i connected it to my PC.
The DC-06 from Ibasso is quiet tasteful

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3,986 of 10,347
Now I understand what everyone has been talking about when it comes to batteries, digital drains faster than analogic one, about 30-40% faster, on the third charging cycle or so of using DX320.
Not when you have amp13 plugged in. The battery usage is way more even between analog and digital. It's about 10-8 % of a difference.

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #3,987 of 10,347
Now I understand what everyone has been talking about when it comes to batteries, digital drains faster than analogic one, about 30-40% faster, on the third charging cycle or so of using DX320.
Not when you have amp13 plugged in. The battery usage is way more even between analog and digital. It's about 10-8 % of a difference.
This. When both batteries are full and using Amp13 card, the drain inequality is fairly close (within a few %), but as they get closer to empty, the more the discrepancy (more like 30(ish)% discrepancy near the end of battery life).

I even notice that when using the Amp13 card, and streaming (having WiFi on), as they battery gets closer to empty the DX300 (not sure about the DX320 behavior on this one) starts getting warm, not hot though. Other than using PCM to DSD256 in Neutron, I have not felt the DX getting even a bit warm before this.

I have been experimenting with lower gain modes with the Amp13 card, and it seems that there is a pretty significant difference between high gain and medium gain as far as battery usage goes. I am going to continue to test this (next with low gain) and see how it goes. Keep in mind though that using higher impedance head gear will actually help the battery last a bit longer (less current draw than lower impedance head gear).

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #3,988 of 10,347
Well, I tried one of those cables with the Monarchs instead of the stock cable. They really opened up and I could hear a big difference in clarity and air. These are now a pleasure to listen
I've noticed that cables make huge impact difference in the IEM market. More so than either headphones or any other area.

.... Kann Max sounds bit like a hybrid between amp11.2s and 13. Bit smoother than the stock and bit more analitycal than the amp13. And has more sub bass.... and maybe very very slightly bigger stage on the Max, they sound almost identical.

These are the amps which are superior to both the AMP11mk2s & amp13 stock boards you tried:

Amp11MUSE-X(whitigir)
"Original" Amp11-EX(whitigir)
AMP12EX-S (whitigir)
Amp12EXN-S(Nayparm)

They all have more clarity, dynamics, and full range sound over the two available stock boards.
They all have a bit more soundstage depth & clarity over stock, or past boards with the added aspect of not being distant, tame, or flat.

You may have moved on to suit your own needs of portability, but just stating these points to show the realization that the dx320 remains in a unique position to remain at top-tier level..

**Namely, the ability to use desktop level or expensive parts on custom amps, that NO DAP manufacturer would, could, or will ever do...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back