DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
Feb 14, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #631 of 949
I think it's because the audio goes from the card straight to the iBasso's custom FPGA according to a diagram i looked at months ago. It's also proof their FPGA is very excellent since we can hear a difference.

On my ZX507, I could barely hear a difference using the Micron card. It's probably something to do with how Sony's design handles the audio data for a custom house sound.

Over the weekend I swapped out the ELNA Silmic II's on my AMP8 MKII (same ones iBasso used in AMP8 MKIIs) to Nichicon Fine Gold (FG not FW) 10V, 47uf after hearing some good things about those audio caps and boy did the sound open up even more in all directions towards the holographic end of things. The treble is very refined yet still very clear, mids have improved and I'm hearing better instrument separation as well.

So same spec capacitor (10V, 47uF), yet it affects the sound immediately. Sound continues to improve with burn in of the caps.

If you want a more refined sound, the Fine Gold is very excellent. For a more Clinical sound, stick to the ELNA Silimic II's.
Already tried some. Value will change this perception and i was using small ones as bypass as opposed to radically changing stock values. In smaller values as bypass, I didn't like them as much as what I was doing. 2x 1uf ES and 1 1uf Silmic. But I agree about the FG vs FW, The FG is more refined and leaner, FW is a little middy forward by comparison. That said, depending on voicing, an FW may be preferred. I swapped all the FWs inside a Questyle CMA15 for FGs and was very happy with the result. FGs also tend to be physically larger so a swap can be tight. Smaller values were crowded and I had to lay down the large values.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #632 of 949
Already tried some. Value will change this perception and i was using small ones as bypass as opposed to radically changing stock values. In smaller values as bypass, I didn't like them as much as what I was doing. 2x 1uf ES and 1 1uf Silmic. But I agree about the FG vs FW, The FG is more refined and leaner, FW is a little middy forward by comparison. That said, depending on voicing, an FW may be preferred. I swapped all the FWs inside a Questyle CMA15 for FGs and was very happy with the result. FGs also tend to be physically larger so a swap can be tight. Smaller values were crowded and I had to lay down the large values.
The FG (Fine Gold) caps I got were the same size (5x11) as the Silmic II's. The sound is now euphonic, and I love it. Listening to the same songs and I can't believe how beautiful everything sounds. Definitely a step up into 2-3K DAP type sound paired with the earlier mentioned 0.015uf, 1% or 2.5% tolerance Film cap that uses all copper leads.

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #633 of 949
The FG (Fine Gold) caps I got were the same size (5x11) as the Silmic II's. The sound is now euphonic, and I love it. Listening to the same songs and I can't believe how beautiful everything sounds. Definitely a step up into 2-3K DAP type sound paired with the earlier mentioned 0.015uf, 1% or 2.5% tolerance Film cap that uses all copper leads.
are you modding the DX260?

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #635 of 949
Modded my AMP8 MKII for DX-240 and I don't need anything else for now. Don't think DX260 can be modded since it has no removable AMP.
Have you tried the Amp8MK2S?

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #637 of 949
Hi,
Does this come with Google play?
I am interested in installing USB Audio Player Pro
I'm in the US and got mine yesterday. There is no Google Play Store on it, or the APKPure app that's mentioned in the manual.
I updated to the latest firmware and it's still not there. My 260 is very slow to respond to any screen touches. I cant get the keyboard to show up when trying to enter text in the search bar in Chrome.

There are two apps, Aptiode, and another that has the app name in Chinese. I have my device set to English, but cant use the app with the Chinese name.

I did a factory reset, followed by firmware update. The issues above still persist.

I've done two factory resets, and it shows that's its running version 2.01.307, not the original factory firmware.

The fact that I cant even open Chrome, I cant get past the "Accept and Continue' on the opening screen is not a good sign.

Edit:
I did factory a reset, and redownloaded the firmware update zip from iBasso and installed it to see if changed things. The device is still unable to open Chrome.

Is there a roll back firmware available?

Edit 2:
After playing tunes for awhile I went back to Chrome and it works fine. I was able to download Google Play store using the Aptiode app.
I forgot how Android can be quirky at times :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #638 of 949
Not quite sure why you have issues with Chrome or PlayStore. Works fine. :)

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3198.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #639 of 949
I'm in the US and got mine yesterday. There is no Google Play Store on it, or the APKPure app that's mentioned in the manual.
I updated to the latest firmware and it's still not there. My 260 is very slow to respond to any screen touches. I cant get the keyboard to show up when trying to enter text in the search bar in Chrome.

There are two apps, Aptiode, and another that has the app name in Chinese. I have my device set to English, but cant use the app with the Chinese name.

I did a factory reset, followed by firmware update. The issues above still persist.

I've done two factory resets, and it shows that's its running version 2.01.307, not the original factory firmware.

The fact that I cant even open Chrome, I cant get past the "Accept and Continue' on the opening screen is not a good sign.

Edit:
I did factory a reset, and redownloaded the firmware update zip from iBasso and installed it to see if changed things. The device is still unable to open Chrome.

Is there a roll back firmware available?

Edit 2:
After playing tunes for awhile I went back to Chrome and it works fine. I was able to download Google Play store using the Aptiode app.
I forgot how Android can be quirky at times :)
You download the playstore from apkpure which is easy to do, sign into google and works perfect. Literally takes one minute. You can then delete APKPure and any other apps if you don't want them. Unit navigates quickly. Setup is easy and fast. If I were you, I'd do a factory reset and make a do over using the method I described. Always safer to get your apps from the playstore unless you're certain of their safety.

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #640 of 949
Have you tried the Amp8MK2S?
Yes, my mods are better sounding per my preferences. Warm yet still more revealing and refined sound. If you have MKIIs, try swapping out just the caps from Silmic II to Nichicon FG (Fine Gold), same size & values (5x11,10V, 47uf) if you want warmer refined sound vs Neautralish iBasso stock sound.

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #641 of 949
Yes, my mods are better sounding per my preferences. Warm yet still more revealing and refined sound. If you have MKIIs, try swapping out just the caps from Silmic II to Nichicon FG (Fine Gold), same size & values (5x11,10V, 47uf) if you want warmer refined sound vs Neautralish iBasso stock sound.
Surprises me. FGs are usually less warm than Silmics. Sort of cleaner/leaner.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #642 of 949
Those microns are quite famous by now.
I can recommend the 1tb lexar card that's made for Wii. In comparison my Samsung 512evo seemed like it must be broken. Seems like the best consumer grade card have had till now, and quite a lot more stable.
Definitely want to get a micron industrial one next.
Reason for apparent quality differences is that pretty much every consumer card uses flash dies that have been rejected by every other category and use case.
It's no secret in the industry that flash cards are bottom of bottoms and reason for most smartphone manufacturers have moved away from them. Would love for dap manufacturers to statt offering bigger built in storage, 1tb built in would be godsent, though price increase would probably be to big for most of us, me included.
Nand wafers are sorted into 4 grades by Micron

source page 3: https://borecraft.com/PDF/Datasheets, WP, Specs/SpectekNANDBuyersGuide.pdf

AS grade− AS grade for SSD strict Bad block requirements.− Fully tested material, full density, 95% Valid blocks− Functional, High Quality NAND− Able to use in High Performance (multi-plane mode) applications.▪

AF Grade− Fully tested material, full density 94% Valid blocks▪ Valid blocks not optimal for Multi-plane applications− Can be used as either as either Density Optimized or Speed Optimized (but not both):▪ Less than full density in a high performance application or▪ Full density in a lower performance application or▪ Use single plane operation or Firmware better structured lower grades.▪

AR grades− Quick scan tested Material to identify gross bad blocks.− Sorted by the initial Valid blocks after scan− Customer is expected to test remaining unmarked blocks.▪

MB Grade (Effective April 11, 2019)− Mixed Bins Material, limited return policy− Customer is expected to test all blocks− Effective Yield: 35%

Customer’s Model: Recommended Product Grade

for low-cost Client SSD, build and go -AS

for Aggressive low-cost Client-SSD, willing to screen and adjust FW -AF

for low-cost USB or SD, build and go -AF

for Aggressive low-cost USB or SD, willing to screen and adjust FW -AR,-MB

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #643 of 949
Is it my thing or IBasso has taken a step back in terms of component quality. It is not normal that in the DX240 of which I am the owner and I cannot be more delighted with this Dap I mount a flagship Dac like the ES9038Pro, which is currently launching the DX 260 with Cirrus Logic these chips are for low-end or entry-level products like the DX170, I certainly wouldn't invest almost 1,000 in a product with the Cirrus Logic Dacs

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #644 of 949
Is it my thing or IBasso has taken a step back in terms of component quality. It is not normal that in the DX240 of which I am the owner and I cannot be more delighted with this Dap I mount a flagship Dac like the ES9038Pro, which is currently launching the DX 260 with Cirrus Logic these chips are for low-end or entry-level products like the DX170, I certainly wouldn't invest almost 1,000 in a product with the Cirrus Logic Dacs
Have you seen, used and heard the DX260? It is without a doubt, no step backwards in any area, IMO. The sound is very natural, layered, very open and detailed. The the case quality is extremely good. I have opened it and the CNC work is top notch.

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #645 of 949
Have you seen, used and heard the DX260? It is without a doubt, no step backwards in any area, IMO. The sound is very natural, layered, very open and detailed. The the case quality is extremely good. I have opened it and the CNC work is top notch.
I donno maybe its the amp side but the DX300 is significantly better in terms of producing low level information. What the DX260 does better is enhanced dynamics but the loss of detail despite having more dac chips is really annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back