DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
Feb 8, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #571 of 937
After about 75 hours of burn in I could no longer resist comparing the DX260 with my FiiO M15s. They are in a similar price bracket, the M15s is about 10% more expensive.
My impressions are as follows: at 75 hours the DX260 is musical, detailed, wide and airy, excellent tight bass; the highs are a little too forward and can display sibilance; the mids are at this stage perhaps a little too refined (if that's the right word). The dX260's sound signature appears to be pushed a bit towards the higher end, and rock in particular can sound quite jangly to my ears. The M15s is equally musical, may lack an iota of the detail, but each note has much more weight and presence and the overall signature is more well-balanced, and this is true across a range of genres. The M15s just has more bite to it, making it a more engaging proposition. The M15s is, of course, quite a bit bigger and heavier than the iBasso. I'll give the DX260 another few days of burn in to see if it makes any difference, but as it is it's looking sadly unlikely to be a keeper.

For those who are interested, I tested using Sennheiser IE900 IEMs playing Qobuz high res tracks through the balanced output, mostly classical, jazz, rock and folk genres.

Edit - for anyone reading this for the first time, take a look at my comparison after 200+ later in this thread.

I ran my comparison between the dx260 and the M15s again after 200+ hours of burn in on the dx260. Allowing for the vagaries of amateur A/B-ing between two very similar DAPs, my conclusions were, I think, interesting. Reflecting back on my earlier experience at 75 hours, the sibilance on the 260 is tamed, the mids have settled back, losing any sense of jangle or over-brightness. As such, after an hour and a half of back and forth between the two, I would say the dx260 slightly edges it. The Ibasso has a touch more resolution throughout, the base is tighter and more realistic; the timbre is still bright, but this just adds to the detail rather than being sparkly - it makes the Fiio sound a bit dull by comparison. That said, the M15s does have one advantage SQ-wise: it's more resolving and that makes it more forgiving when the music gets very complex (e.g., big symphonic pieces) or isn't brilliantly well recorded (e.g., some vintage material). Further burn in on the 260 may even the score here. Obviously, the M15s has way more power, especially in desktop mode, and has a lot more funky options (e.g., all to DSD - which I didn't use). One disadvantage for the iBasso is its very sensitive buttons and volume wheel, which make putting into or taking it out of a pocket very likely to shift the track. The M15s has a switch on the side which locks the buttons and the touch screen.

There is very little in it, and could easily see someone taking a very different view. But it would be down to taste (and pocket size - the FiiO is big!) rather than technical competency.

Both DAPs were set to 'slow roll off'; the Fiio had the 'second harmonic regulation' set to level 1. The FIR on the dx260 was off.

Edit - after more sustained listening than simple a/b-ing, I began to find the brightness of the dx260 fatiguing and the lack of resolution disengaging and have happily gone back to the M15s - while the dx260 has gone back to the shop.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #573 of 937
I ran my comparison between the dx260 and the M15s again after 200+ hours of burn in on the dx260. Allowing for the vagaries of amateur A/B-ing between two very similar DAPs, my conclusions were, I think, interesting. Reflecting back on my earlier experience at 75 hours, the sibilance on the 260 is tamed, the mids have settled back, losing any sense of jangle or over-brightness. As such, after an hour and a half of back and forth between the two, I would say the dx260 slightly edges it. The Ibasso has a touch more resolution throughout, the base is tighter and more realistic; the timbre is still bright, but this just adds to the detail rather than being sparkly - it makes the Fiio sound a bit dull by comparison. That said, the M15s does have one advantage SQ-wise: it's more resolving and that makes it more forgiving when the music gets very complex (e.g., big symphonic pieces) or isn't brilliantly well recorded (e.g., some vintage material). Further burn in on the 260 may even the score here. Obviously, the M15s has way more power, especially in desktop mode, and has a lot more funky options (e.g., all to DSD - which I didn't use). One disadvantage for the iBasso is its very sensitive buttons and volume wheel, which make putting into or taking it out of a pocket very likely to shift the track. The M15s has a switch on the side which locks the buttons and the touch screen.

There is very little in it, and could easily see someone taking a very different view. But it would be down to taste (and pocket size - the FiiO is big!) rather than technical competency.

Both DAPs were set to 'slow roll off'; the Fiio had the 'second harmonic regulation' set to level 1. The FIR on the dx260 was off.
Ive had the M15s and can confirm that its a great sounding player (replaced by the ak sp1k after 10 min of comparisons tho- no contest). But i would also take the DC Elite over the M15s unless you need more power.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #574 of 937

Change the setting to volume and button off when the screen is off. No problem then in the pocket.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #576 of 937
You say that like I don't know what I'm hearing lol. FYI, I have a degree in Computer science so don't need explanations.

Digital audio is bits moving from one place through various mediums to your ears. Now the medium they use to get there matters. This is why component selection affects sound quality. A quality industrial card is part of that component selection a user can make for themselves.

If it doesn't matter to you, good for you but knowing the path is different from actually walking the path.

I've done these tests myself and so have many others.

it's immediately very audible to me especially with the latest Micron Industrial cards. They are the truth. The difference is especially very audible between their i300 vs the new i400 cards.
With your degree in Computer Science, may I kindly ask you to describe how having a different memory card has an effect on audio? (Note: I'm not asking for a comparison between a long out of date card that is actually too slow and a current card)

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #580 of 937
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #581 of 937
I want to say that the DX260 has a great bluetooth connection with my various speakers (both portable and fixed).
I get around 30 feet or a little more. Just slightly better than my iPhone 13Pro.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #582 of 937
I always wonder, however, if leather cases retain heat.

And in the past, more than once, I've run into expensive cases that hinder functionality of knobs and buttons.

Also, this looks like a flimsy thin (yes, I know, I just complained about possible heat) case, which should not cost $60.
No, it isn't flimsy at all. I have one and it is excellent and the same as cases you would pay 3 times as much for. Buttons work better than the TPU case and no heat issue. Look at the vents on the bottom! I think 60 dollars is more like a wholesale price or less. I don't know how they did it for this price and I used to make leather cases as a profession, fine purses, belts for high end shops in New York, and boots and other gear. I would never make them for that price. lol And the quality is, again, Very good.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #583 of 937
I get around 30 feet or a little more. Just slightly better than my iPhone 13Pro.
I was actually not even thinking of distance, more the quality of the BT. I haven't messed with any parameters, but to my fixed BT speakers, I don't think I've heard as soon a sound quality. Even from the DX320.

And yes, I know. BT should be bypassing much or most of the audio circuitry, so the DAP shouldn't matter.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #584 of 937
With your degree in Computer Science, may I kindly ask you to describe how having a different memory card has an effect on audio? (Note: I'm not asking for a comparison between a long out of date card that is actually too slow and a current card)
Google is your friend.

Not all memory cards are created equal. There's quality of memory, speed, magnetic shielding, how much temperature such memory can handle before failure etc.

FYI military applications, building security etc. only use Industrial cards as well as videographers that work in very low temperatures filming due to the specs and endurance of these cards.

You should compare specs of industrial cards like Micron with regular consumer cards. The PDF is on their website.

These qualities make a big difference in how the data easily and reliably moves from the card to the DAC and it's very audible to me.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #585 of 937
Google is your friend.

Not all memory cards are created equal. There's quality of memory, speed, magnetic shielding, how much temperature such memory can handle before failure etc.

FYI military applications, building security etc. only use Industrial cards as well as videographers that work in very low temperatures filming due to the specs and endurance of these cards.

You should compare specs of industrial cards like Micron with regular consumer cards. The PDF is on their website.

These qualities make a big difference in how the data easily and reliably moves from the card to the DAC and it's very audible to me.

There are 3 elements at play, and this will be easier for people who seeks similar knowledge out of curiosity

1/ How Memory works and how binary data can be stored, accessed, and recovered

2/ How digital music works

3/ What is rogue voltage, accessing voltage, and voltage errors

Just as soon as people who are curious about why would a memory card could affect the sound performances, they should seek all of those from Google and by using/reading/comprehend from many different sources and materials, then they will satisfy their curiosity

But my advise is that, if you don’t hear the differences, or can tell it, save yourself some time, may be some headache , and most of all, the $$$. This has nothing to do with your hearings ability , it has a lot to do with experiences and the systems you are using (DAC/dap/cables/buds/phones…headphones…)…. Etc. Therefore, if you can’t tell the differences, just be happy that you are and I am also happy for you. Because trust me, you don’t want to be able to “tell the differences”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back