DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #91 of 947
What are you guys planning on running on a DAP? CAD? Video editing? For anything I can think of that would come under typical usage on an audio player, the limitations of this SoC are nowhere close to being exceeded. The fact it runs Android smoothly and without issue is surely all that matters. If it does this then, in practice, who cares if it has a 660 or 665. Let's not get upset over trivial matters. Does it sound great? Can it be used without interface lag? DAPs really don't necessitate number crunching SoCs and 16Gb of Ram at the consequence of added price if the two former requirements are met. Or am I missing something?
"640K is more memory than anyone will ever need"

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #92 of 947
Ok. I stand corrected. The problem is, no DAP manufacturers are going to do this. As I noted earlier, they always seem to use the bare minimum configuration. What to do? Stop buying DAPs? Buy a DC Elite instead? I guess this takes the Soc out of the equation at least. But I like DAPs and it makes for a difficult decision really.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #93 of 947
Must resist from buying another DAP!

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #94 of 947
The DX260 doesn't have interchangeable amps. We worked very hard to make sure that the amp section is extremely good and I think it is satisfy most everyone.

The line out is switched on the DX260 from Phone out so it is the same port but a different route for line out vs headphone out.
Basic question: How does this compare to the DX320?

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #97 of 947
I could see a 7xx on a hypothetical dx340. Not sure that a DAP *ever* really needs an 8xx unless it also morphs into a more general purpose device. The increase in price and decrease in battery life don't seem worthwhile to me, at least. Anyhow, not upgrading to a 665 seems likely to be nothing more than cost-cutting.
which i think is reflected on the price tag

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #100 of 947
I normally don't like challenging anyone else's opinions, because I believe they're all valid, but in instances like this it seems the technical specifications are being focussed on to a degree that they become the sole purpose, and we lose touch with reality. Who wouldn’t want the latest CPU? I’m not arguing against that. One point made saying, well, if I can afford x then I can afford x % more alludes to the fact that there should be no price cap at all. If you can afford x % more then you can afford % more on top of that. Where does it end? If the device runs smoothly then it doesn’t really matter what CPU it is, does it. At least iBasso specify the CPU. I don’t believe A&K do that, even for their TOTL devices. What we are getting here for under $1k sounds remarkably well reasoned. Prices have gone up for all of audio and we might lament this to the end, but it is what it currently is. Comparatively this could even look like good value, as irrational as describing a $1k audio player might be, but the market is where it’s at and that’s not changing (at this moment in time). I think what iBasso has produced here, along with HiBy’s latest R8II, is actually not aligned with the increase in prices for similar audio devices we are seeing elsewhere. If you take out the CPU and look at the rest of the specs this could have been a $2k release. But it’s not. It’s no use wishing for things that can’t be achieved within the current constructs of expectation, so instead of adopting a negative mindset, we could at least see this as a glimmer of hope that there are still manufactures out there willing to offer capable audio products at prices that are at least reasonable given everything else.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #101 of 947
imo, youre gonna get lots of disappointments in life with this kind of mindset and life is long.
Look I know I overreacted in my last comment. It’s only because I’m tired of certain people who defend the brands no matter what opinions others have. There’s one of them in every thread on this forum. All I wanted to convey there was everyone has a different opinion and there’s nothing wrong with it.

When it comes to DAPs - there are certainly benefits to having some things upgraded.

Android - Sony upgraded their latest DAPs to Android 13. I have the Zx707 and I can tell you it’s much smoother and faster than 12. The UI is also pretty slick and small upgrades like the lock screen preview makes it much cooler when using the DAP day to day.

CPU - I use Apple Music on my iPhone and on my DAPs. Sure, I don’t expect iPhone level performance on the DAPs, but it would be good to have better loading and scrolling speeds. Here I must say iBasso is the most optimised of the DAPs I have, it’s fast once everything is loaded (still lags while loading).

Software - iBasso DAPs have barely any Software features worthy of mentioning. Try a Hiby or Sony DAP and you’ll know what I mean. iBasso cannot even do a proper dark theme. If I’m going to use my DAP every day I’d like the experience to be pleasant and that includes the user interface and other customisations to my preference.

DAC - Again a personal opinion. I’d like to see something different for a change. I’m tired of the same CS4131/98, it doesn’t matter if it’s 8x or 16x. Same goes for FiiO who year on year release new DAPs and DACs based on the same ES9038Pro. Why not use the new ES9039Pro (it sounds amazing btw). Sure there’s extra cost involved but like @Ben86 said, add another margin on top of the already premium prices for DAPs and it won’t make a big difference.

AMP - Despite the gigantic sizes of DAPs these days, they don’t perform that great compared to the smaller sized DAPs tbh. Most people use their DAPs with an external amplifier to get the best sound.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #102 of 947
This thread has become so depressing. All I want to know is what it sounds like? 🤔😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back