DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,656 of 2,804
It’s a balancing act all relative to what else is done. Silmics are warm/dry in general so I completely understand how that would happen with other associations or values. The ES had too much color there. I may try an FG at some point but it will likely get too lean. Voicing is about associations and target function as opposed to individual parts characteristics or even quality in many instances. Lots of folks have parts biases that hinder more than help. Not saying that’s you at all but a stated as a generality. In my case/associations anything larger than 1uf across what was there did exactly what you described. I wasn’t trying to reinvent the wheel here as I also didn’t design the board. Ibasso who know more than we do did. I just made it work for me.😊 ymmv but I wouldn’t comment on your parts choices without having tried them in your config.
To add, i tried a polyprop in my amp 3 mod but found that an ester i had around worked better. Both bypassed with styrenes which i feel are generally better than props in an absolute view though limited to small values do to size. I’m well aware of polypropylene and I’m sure that iBasso engineers are as well. I also like that they'll use a polycarbonate at times. Another that can be preferred to polypropylene.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #2,658 of 2,804
hello! Maybe you had this, everything works fine, but suddenly today the streaming applications Qobuz and Deezer sound has become very quiet. Everything worked fine. Yesterday the battery ran down to 16% because I listened until late. Charged, and today the sound is at a minimum and only streaming. How can I disable it I can't find it?

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,659 of 2,804
hello! Maybe you had this, everything works fine, but suddenly today the streaming applications Qobuz and Deezer sound has become very quiet. Everything worked fine. Yesterday the battery ran down to 16% because I listened until late. Charged, and today the sound is at a minimum and only streaming. How can I disable it I can't find it?
Always reboot before trying anything else.

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #2,661 of 2,804
I rebooted ibasso, the mango player is working normally and the streaming sound is at a minimum
Have you tried some other device for the streaming? Also you could reset the DX240 in the menu. Or if it is an app, delete and reinstall the app.

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #2,663 of 2,804
It’s a balancing act all relative to what else is done. Silmics are warm/dry in general so I completely understand how that would happen with other associations or values. The ES had too much color there. I may try an FG at some point but it will likely get too lean. Voicing is about associations values and target function as opposed to individual parts characteristics or even quality in many instances. Lots of folks have parts biases that hinder more than help. Not saying that’s you at all but stated as a generality. In my case/associations anything larger than 1uf across what was at the input did exactly what you described and mucked the timing. I wasn’t trying to reinvent the wheel here as I also didn’t design the board. Ibasso who know more than we do, did. I just made it work for me.😊 ymmv but I wouldn’t comment on your parts choices without having tried them in your config and values.
Finally got my hands on some WIMA FKP2 series 0.015uF/63V 2.5% audio film capacitors and my god, can't believe I'm listening to the same DAP.

2.5% and 1% tolorence caps use Copper pins and they just opened up the sound even more + beautiful deeper tight bass on songs that have such frequencies. The stage is much wider, and deeper + taller as well.

Separation and layering are much more defined now. The best example I can give is the difference you get listening at home vs going to a live concert. Transparency is also through the roof.

Burning in the cap but so far I'm very impressed a simple mod like this gets me these results.

Goes to show the quality of the rest of the discreet AMP components iBasso used on AMP8 MKII.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #2,664 of 2,804
Finally got my hands on some WIMA FKP2 series 0.015uF/63V 2.5% audio film capacitors and my god, can't believe I'm listening to the same DAP.

2.5% and 1% tolorence caps use Copper pins and they just opened up the sound even more + beautiful deeper tight bass on songs that have such frequencies. The stage is much much deeper / taller as well. Separation and layering are much more defined now. Burning in the cap but so far I'm very impressed.

Goes to show the quality of the rest of the discreet AMP components iBasso used on AMP8 MKII.
I think those used to be blue years back. Great caps. Don't believe they are used here in this way but those are great coupling caps for audio circuits without getting into costly/larger esoteric bits.

Here's a fun article from the way back machine. Off topic but and as an example, it talks about tants as coupling caps (properly used as supply buffers on iBasso and everything else) and how nonpreferred they are when not biased but I've actually quite liked selected ones for that purpose when size is an issue and there's the right amount of DC to block/bias.
https://www.dadaelectronics.eu/uplo...ctronics-papers/Picking-Capacitors-W-Jung.pdf

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #2,665 of 2,804
I think those used to be blue years back. Great caps. Don't believe they are used here in this way but those are great coupling caps for audio circuits without getting into costly/larger esoteric bits.

Here's a fun article from the way back machine. Of topic but and as an example, it talks about tants as coupling caps (properly used as supply buffers on iBasso and everything else) and how nonpreferred they are when not biased but I've actually quite liked selected ones for that purpose when size is an issue and there's the right amount of DC to block/bias.
https://www.dadaelectronics.eu/uplo...ctronics-papers/Picking-Capacitors-W-Jung.pdf
Tantalum caps have most of the time been looked down on but back in the early 90s were used by Stan Warren as coupling caps. By keeping a charge on them, they are very fast and do a great job. Guys would try and replace them with boutique caps and the sound wasn't as good. Stan knew what he was doing when he designed products. I don't know what happened to him. I used to talk with him years ago when he had Superphon and then just did modifications of equipment.

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #2,666 of 2,804
Tantalum caps have most of the time been looked down on but back in the early 90s were used by Stan Warren as coupling caps. By keeping a charge on them, they are very fast and do a great job. Guys would try and replace them with boutique caps and the sound wasn't as good. Stan knew what he was doing when he designed products. I don't know what happened to him. I used to talk with him years ago when he had Superphon and then just did modifications of equipment.
Still used that way in some awesome kit. Horses for courses. They work great on lm317 regulators as well. The impedance is actually beneficial and sound cleaner than cheaper electrolytics that ae often used there.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,667 of 2,804
Still used that way in some awesome kit.
The trick to using them is to keep a charge on them. People were still in contact with Stan Warren in 2020 but I don't see anything current for him. He lives/lived in Eugene, Oregon.

Nov 11, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #2,668 of 2,804

Here's a fun article from the way back machine. Of topic but and as an example, it talks about tants as coupling caps (properly used as supply buffers on iBasso and everything else) and how nonpreferred they are when not biased but I've actually quite liked selected ones for that purpose when size is an issue and there's the right amount of DC to block/bias.
These are green. Sourced 5 from a reputable store I've used based in Taiwan and China. They fit perfectly.

The link is here >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/393518210237?var=662307508111

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #2,669 of 2,804
Still used that way in some awesome kit. Horses for courses. They work great on lm317 regulators as well. The impedance is actually beneficial and sound cleaner than cheaper electrolytics that ae often used there.
I noticed this very thing in my testing. electrolytics degraded the sound so went without them.

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #2,670 of 2,804
CS43198×8
https://weibo.com/5885718240/NrXas1FxD
DX300 x 2
006qjSbmgy1hjqab9hvntj30u01hc7dz.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back