DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #376 of 2,804
This is
No, I don’t know what reviewers you are reading. I do understand that even reading reviews, you will gravitate toward your most biased points , be it “prices, form, features”. However, IMO, the Dx160 is greatly different than DX220.

Let’s just say, they both share the same power supply design (which they don’t) because they both use 1 battery pack. So they are both DAP as a DAP. The Dx160 has a lot of differences in sound signatures, for example an ESS VS Cirrus as I mentioned above. The Dx160 is warmer than Dx220, and the treble sparkling are not as well retrieved as Dx220.

Yes, the Dx160 is a lot of bang for the buck, but if you are telling me that Dx160 is so great that it is the equivalent of Dx220, then no…it isn’t. I would and I did, always grab Dx220 whenever I could.

Now, I grab both 3MaxTi and Dx300 equally.

The differences between DAP is very small, and could be said to be negligible. It depends on a person point of view. For example

1/ Person A is a desktop user, and to him, moving from a cheap Schiit amplifier to a GSX amplifier is an upgrade. He could easily deem that Dx220 isn’t as much different to DX160. Because he never considered portability as a feature, and never cared enough about the little output power by a DAP enough to justify it. Then he is right in his own view

2/ Person B is a person who is all about on the go with portability in mind. Eventhough he is using the same headphones as A. He can easily deem that the Dx220 is a lot better than Dx160. Then B is also right in his own view.

Both are right, and neither is wrong. Just because the facts of DAP to DAP is not as much different than Desktop Vs Desktop, and that is a fact. Also, let alone when you compare the differences between DAP-DAP VS DAP-Desktop in perceivable upgradability

That is why there are so much confusing in this hobby, and that is where technical aspect will come to mind. You judge it from it technical prowess, the THD, the power output, the DAC chips…etc…because everything counts…because money is money. But once you just don’t care about all of it, and only personal preferences matter, then there is only 1 choice “listen to them each one by yourself, and pick your best option, then share with us”

Anyways, it is always good to have options
This is actually very well written.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #377 of 2,804
This is
This is actually very well written.
Yes Whitigir explains it really well. But something else. In the DX300 thread it is discussed that the DX 300 should possibly be discontinued. But I can't imagine. That's why you'd better keep the DX 312. As a multimedia high-end DAP for the home. And DX 240 for on the go. Then think you are very happy. Definitely me too. For me, the DX 300 is a bit too big for my pocket and, above all, I have to take my big cell phone with me. Take the HiBy 6 Pro SS for on the go. It's just too heavy !!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #378 of 2,804
Yes Whitigir explains it really well. But something else. In the DX300 thread it is discussed that the DX 300 should possibly be discontinued. But I can't imagine. That's why you'd better keep the DX 312. As a multimedia high-end DAP for the home. And DX 240 for on the go. Then think you are very happy. Definitely me too. For me, the DX 300 is a bit too big for my pocket and, above all, I have to take my big cell phone with me. Take the HiBy 6 Pro SS for on the go. It's just too heavy !!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Well i don't like this description of the dx312 "Multimedia DAP" as i only listen to the music. I even opened google browser 2 times in 4 months:) But i understand you. I don't even want to hear that the dx300 is discontinued as I'm still waiting for new amp.

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #381 of 2,804
Maybe i will try Netflix on the dx300:) Are there any problems with the Netflix app on iBasso?
I honestly don't know. I think it works fine. Just like I have read from others. I only hear music from the SD card. I also only watched a couple of live concerts on Youtube a few times. 99% of the time I only run Mango OS. I only bought the DX 300 because of the 2 separate batteries, 4 Cirrus , Mango OS and the exchangeable AMP cards.

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #382 of 2,804
Maybe i will try Netflix on the dx300:) Are there any problems with the Netflix app on iBasso?

Most Chi-Fi Android DAPS don't have Widevine L1 DRM or even pass Safetynet. You may be able to get Netflix to work but only in low quality mode.

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #384 of 2,804
Well, when you are counting that personal preferences is everything, then all I could say is that is why we al need choices.

You prefer DX240, and others prefer Dx300. Why would anyone be mad over it ?

Let’s face it, we are into this hobby, we buy stuff, we move one with losing money by depreciations, and we gain experiences

Whatever the side of the debates is, the Dx300 is there for people who prefer it.
Lol nobody is going mad mate, did not mean to spit it out this way for sure. Its just a discussion.
And while i sure lose money buying stuff i dont feel any depreciation to iBasso. I loved sound of their both daps i owned dx220 and dx300 yes dx300 size was not for me and its a shame. But just because i found better sounding daps for myself, doesnt mean i think they are crap. In fact they are still best price/performance daps around.

Besides its only matter of time until i basso will stuff 300max performance in a pocketable dap lol. And then off goes my dear sp2000 lol

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #386 of 2,804
Lol nobody is going mad mate, did not mean to spit it out this way for sure. Its just a discussion.
And while i sure lose money buying stuff i dont feel any depreciation to iBasso. I loved sound of their both daps i owned dx220 and dx300 yes dx300 size was not for me and its a shame. But just because i found better sounding daps for myself, doesnt mean i think they are crap. In fact they are still best price/performance daps around.

Besides its only matter of time until i basso will stuff 300max performance in a pocketable dap lol. And then off goes my dear sp2000 lol
You know what ? It is possible if Ibasso would loved to squeeze more out of the Dx300.

Since the amp batteries are managed by the DAP, and unrelated to the DAC. One can go as far as to enable a switch to turn off the amp battery, and enable external power supply input. The firmware will also need to be tweaked a bit if not using physical switching button

Then using external PSU, you can connect it straight onto the amp module. The DX300 then can totally run on a dedicated external PSU for the amplifier alone…lol

Nov 5, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #387 of 2,804
You know what ? It is possible if Ibasso would loved to squeeze more out of the Dx300.

Since the amp batteries are managed by the DAP, and unrelated to the DAC. One can go as far as to enable a switch to turn off the amp battery, and enable external power supply input. The firmware will also need to be tweaked a bit if not using physical switching button

Then using external PSU, you can connect it straight onto the amp module. The DX300 then can totally run on a dedicated external PSU for the amplifier alone…lol
Which is quite nice is you just throw a small desktop amp in the office and at home. You used dap on the move as dap and as dac at home and in the office?

Oh wait thats same as line out? Or am i missing the benefit of it?😁

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #388 of 2,804
947D0B3E-66BB-4B29-B8F3-E6FEAFA3ED4D.jpeg

Everyone amp from
1-8 is compatible with dx240 except amp9 (the tube one i believe).

As above, so below

I collated the information quite some time back - i should look before i repost. But i am pretty sure the info is there:

https://www.headpie.net/2017/11/ibasso-dx200-amp-series-information.html?m=1

People keep asking me and all i can say is read my review where i did the testing between them in real time.
Anything i say now would be a distortion unless i sat down and did it again (need more reviews/impressions…)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-dx240.25508/reviews

Anything now would be a memory… and i am busy rewatching/binge watching ‘the office’ (US version) each night for some reason…
A very comprehensive and welcome review. It helped make up my mind to order one. In that spirit, a few observations so far that mirror yours (based on a few hours of listening when it arrived today).

Battery life and temperatures for high resolution files is markedly improved on the DX240 versus the DX200 and DX220. the DX240 gets warm when playing DSD512, Flac 384 kHz files, but not hot. The other two require passive heatsinks to stay cool and are therefore not really portable at those resolutions. Battery life is above 5 hours of continuous play so far on the DX240 (currently 40% battery left) while the older variants are under 4 hours although both have had their batteries replaced.

Sound of the 240 is an improvement over both of the previous iterations in terms of clarity and resolution (Neutron Player, same version, same settings across all DAPs as well as line out to a KSE1200 for comparison.)

In general, the speed of the cpu, extended battery life and much lower temperatures when playing high resolution files makes this the best of the DX2xx series so far. I found the sound improvements welcome but not the primary reason for upgrading. The performance, temperature reduction, battery life and useable portability alone made this the DX2xx series DAP the one that achieves a desired level of performance without compromises, at least for my use case.

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #390 of 2,804
@otta56
A representative from my local iBasso dealer (munkonggadget) said this morning that DX240 has not been shipped to him yet. Perhaps he won't have DAP until December. And he usually has iBasso products earlier than others. Where did you buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back