DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Aug 21, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #2,566 of 2,804
It's worth to buy MK2S when I have MK2?
I suspect so. There were actually things I preferred about the stock amp over 8mk2 until tweaked. From descriptions, it sounds like 8MK2S has similar attributes and should be a clear upgrade.

For me, the DX240 is the perfect DAP. Great sounding, fast, great screen, Great Andriod integration with a second low footprint dedicated MANGO OS which I actually prefer when the amp card is where I like it, truly portable and, can be both voiced to preference and/or hit well above it's price point with the right card.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #2,567 of 2,804
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #2,568 of 2,804
Those impressions were similar to mine though I haven't heard amp8mk2s. Amp 8 mk2 was too warm and lacked a certain solidity in the mids until tweaked. I can see why others liked it but like I said, my perspective was similar to yours. It's awesome that iBasso has made a revoiced amp8 available. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #2,570 of 2,804
I believe Fiio M17 is direct upgrade from iBasso 248mk2 in all SQ aspects. Thats why I just bought Fiio M17 and planning on selling DX240
I would hope so as the M17 is almost twice the price and size! It's more of a direct competitor to the dx320. The fiio I'd like to see compared to the dx240 running the amp8mk2s is the M15s, which is in the dx240s price/size niche.

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #2,571 of 2,804
I believe Fiio M17 is direct upgrade from iBasso 248mk2 in all SQ aspects. Thats why I just bought Fiio M17 and planning on selling DX240
Roughly half a year ago I've been ABing M17 and DX240 with AMP8mk2 a lot with Meze Liric. I've used stock settings and USB audio player on both of them. DX240 was in high gain, M17 in over-ear headphone mode and I tried to volume match them as best as I could. While listening, I couldn't tell a difference between them - they sounded exactly the same. At times I thought that the M17 had something more going on in the treble, but I was probably just imagining it as I thought it had to sound better due to price difference.

Bottom line is that I would have definitely failed a blind test between them.

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #2,572 of 2,804
Roughly half a year ago I've been ABing M17 and DX240 with AMP8mk2 a lot with Meze Liric. I've used stock settings and USB audio player on both of them. DX240 was in high gain, M17 in over-ear headphone mode and I tried to volume match them as best as I could. While listening, I couldn't tell a difference between them - they sounded exactly the same. At times I thought that the M17 had something more going on in the treble, but I was probably just imagining it as I thought it had to sound better due to price difference.

Bottom line is that I would have definitely failed a blind test between them.
I use both with Moondrop Variations and Focal Utopia OG. M17 creates soundstage in front of you by moving it outside of your head, has 3D feeling to images like you can hug it all around its circumference. It has more dynamic, more details, better layering, soundstage and imaging IMO. My girlfriend also hears it right away, though not in blind test.

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #2,573 of 2,804
In my opinion the M17 sounds completely different from the DX240, so it's hard to compare. It may be better in some aspects, but the sound in FiiO is very neutral with a boosted treble. DX240 with AMP M8MK2 for me sound more fun and engaing, but maybe it's not as good as Fiio in technical aspect.

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #2,574 of 2,804
I use both with Moondrop Variations and Focal Utopia OG. M17 creates soundstage in front of you by moving it outside of your head, has 3D feeling to images like you can hug it all around its circumference. It has more dynamic, more details, better layering, soundstage and imaging IMO. My girlfriend also hears it right away, though not in blind test.
Those were my issues with amp8mk2 and why I tweaked it. Reportedly, amp8MK2s does the same sort of upgrade to the sound. I also find Mango OS better than android Mango once your amp board is all that. For me, it would be moot anyway. I never want anything larger or much heavier than this.

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #2,576 of 2,804
Curious about which filter and gain settings that you're using.
I switch between linear fast and linear slow, depending on my mood. As for Gain, Variations scale with higher gain. I was listening with over-ear mode, then I connected to the DC power supply and enhanced over ear mode is even better. Contrary to this, Utopia does not like enhanced over-ear mode and get a bit sibilant, I like to leave it in normal over-ear mode.

Note that balanced connectors on Fiio M17 have <2 Ohm impedance, while iBasso has virtually 0. It gives skew/slope to FR of variations because impedance of variations is literally going down from bass to treble without any peaks. Literally just a slope.

I want to note that Utopia gets same effect from listening from M17 - soundstage gets in front of you and gets very layering and hyper detailed. So I think magic with variations does not only come from impedance of balanced output but also from superior hardware

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #2,577 of 2,804
I switch between linear fast and linear slow, depending on my mood. As for Gain, Variations scale with higher gain. I was listening with over-ear mode, then I connected to the DC power supply and enhanced over ear mode is even better. Contrary to this, Utopia does not like enhanced over-ear mode and get a bit sibilant, I like to leave it in normal over-ear mode.

Note that balanced connectors on Fiio M17 have <2 Ohm impedance, while iBasso has virtually 0. It gives skew/slope to FR of variations because impedance of variations is literally going down from bass to treble without any peaks. Literally just a slope.

I want to note that Utopia gets same effect from listening from M17 - soundstage gets in front of you and gets very layering and hyper detailed. So I think magic with variations does not only come from impedance of balanced output but also from superior hardware
I always default to apodizing linear, med gain on the dx240.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,578 of 2,804
Hello,

Today I received my brand new Ibasso DX240.
As I was cleaning the back cover, I noticed some strange marks, when I put some tv cleaning fluid.

Can some one make this kind of test?
Iam very intrigued with this...

Attachments

• PXL_20230825_195148219.jpg
    PXL_20230825_195148219.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230825_195241259.jpg
    PXL_20230825_195241259.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #2,579 of 2,804
Hello,

Today I received my brand new Ibasso DX240.
As I was cleaning the back cover, I noticed some strange marks, when I put some tv cleaning fluid.

Can some one make this kind of test?
Iam very intrigued with this...
Why would you put cleaning fluid on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back