DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #10,741 of 22,021
Hi guys, when listening DX200 with IEM, do you usually turn on or off the high gain? Does high gain just equal to higher volume, or it brings sound quality changes (better or worse). Thanks!

For me, it depends on which IEM I am using, for Tralucent IEM, I prefer high gain, however for FitEar ciem, my ear prefer low gain

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #10,742 of 22,021
Any idea in term of soundstage, is AMP5 is the largest?

The largest relative to another amp or among all the amps? The largest (literally holographic quality) soundstage with the best audio performance, as I hear it, goes to AMP4. Just make sure you are either using a properly terminated pentaconn 4.4mm connector or high quality adapters (like CA02). Some other 4.4mm adapters can degrade the sound quality.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #10,743 of 22,021
Heard ibasso stopped producing the AMP4. Not in their store, not on amazon etc. Panicked. Managed to find a UK store that still has one and got my hands on it. Now only problem -- no adaptor :D Big relief though. It was a major bummer when I found out they're not making any more.

Why was it discontinued though? Too exotic, niche?

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #10,744 of 22,021
The largest relative to another amp or among all the amps? The largest (literally holographic quality) soundstage with the best audio performance, as I hear it, goes to AMP4. Just make sure you are either using a properly terminated pentaconn 4.4mm connector or high quality adapters (like CA02). Some other 4.4mm adapters can degrade the sound quality.
Hi Twister6, do you prefer amp5 over 3 now? From your review and some of the posts you spoke very highly of amp3. Now you got me interested in trying amp4:)

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #10,745 of 22,021
Hi Twister6, do you prefer amp5 over 3 now? From your review and some of the posts you spoke very highly of amp3. Now you got me interested in trying amp4:)

When you look at reviews/impressions, you have to correlate it with a date :) At the time when I was talking about AMP3, there was only stock AMP1 and new AMP2. Now, AMP2 is replaced with AMP5, your single-ended 3.5mm option, and AMP3 still remains as your 2.5mm balanced option for HO and LO. To me, sonically AMP4 is the best, but as it was stated in some of the previous posts, it was a limited run and they no longer manufacture it.

At the end of the day, it's not about which one is better, but which one pairs up better with your headphones and also if your cables are 3.5mm or 2.5mm terminated. I mean, you can always go 2.5mm to 3.5mm with an adapter (CA01 is very good), but some people have all their cables terminated with 3.5mm and it will be too much to invest into all new 2.5mm cables. Btw, I went into a detailed sound difference between amp modules here. For me personally, I have AMP4 "permanently" on now. If you take that option away and I have a choice between AMP3 and AMP5, based on pair up synergy I prefer AMP3 with iems in my listening rotation.

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #10,746 of 22,021
For me, it depends on which IEM I am using, for Tralucent IEM, I prefer high gain, however for FitEar ciem, my ear prefer low
When you look at reviews/impressions, you have to correlate it with a date :) At the time when I was talking about AMP3, there was only stock AMP1 and new AMP2. Now, AMP2 is replaced with AMP5, your single-ended 3.5mm option, and AMP3 still remains as your 2.5mm balanced option for HO and LO. To me, sonically AMP4 is the best, but as it was stated in some of the previous posts, it was a limited run and they no longer manufacture it.

At the end of the day, it's not about which one is better, but which one pairs up better with your headphones and also if your cables are 3.5mm or 2.5mm terminated. I mean, you can always go 2.5mm to 3.5mm with an adapter (CA01 is very good), but some people have all their cables terminated with 3.5mm and it will be too much to invest into all new 2.5mm cables. Btw, I went into a detailed sound difference between amp modules here. For me personally, I have AMP4 "permanently" on now. If you take that option away and I have a choice between AMP3 and AMP5, based on pair up synergy I prefer AMP3 with iems in my listening rotation.

Thanks Twister6, that makes a lot of sense. Hopefully ibasso can hear our prays and resume the amp4 production. Otherwise I have to steal the one from you:) Watch out!

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #10,747 of 22,021
I don't see why they would have stopped production. They might be out of stock, but that doesn't mean that they're not making the units anymore. It's one of the most popular products.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #10,748 of 22,021
I don't seem to be having any issues with the battery. Will watch it though. Sound is great!

I am getting around 10% decrease in battery per hour on 16/44.

I just got a 10% decrease within 10-20 minutes... Is it because I turn the screen on to change songs a lot?

Maybe I should try Mango mode.

edit: Wow, it just drops like 3% when I turn the screen on after a couple minutes.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #10,749 of 22,021
you wont regret it...its bloody EPIC

Can't wait to received it early next week :)

Surprised to see amp4 is discontinued, not sure I understand why... 4.4 connector is the future... anyway I am sooo glad I ordered amp4 right away when it was out. I did notice AMP3 and AMP5 were the only one listed when I ordered AMP5, it was puzzling but I never understood that as other models being discontinued. AMP2 being replaced with AMP5 makes sense.

Only explanation, AMP6 is on the way and replace AMP4 ?

@twister6 totally agree with synergies and what makes the modular system beautiful, there is no absolute best despite that I favor amp4 as well... but the modular system needs sustainable modularity. If amps (especially highly praised ones) "disappear" and the range has no continuity it will be bad for late adopters or people who would invest in DX200 altogether.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #10,750 of 22,021
I use my DX200 with Tidal 99% of the time and I am loving it, its a great DAP. My only criticism is the battery life, its pretty poor for such an expensive DAP surely?
As stated I use Tidal and therefore the wifi is always on. Would I be better off downloading the albums from Tidal on to my 200? Would this run down the battery less.

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #10,751 of 22,021
I use my DX200 with Tidal 99% of the time and I am loving it, its a great DAP. My only criticism is the battery life, its pretty poor for such an expensive DAP surely?
As stated I use Tidal and therefore the wifi is always on. Would I be better off downloading the albums from Tidal on to my 200? Would this run down the battery less.

All flagship DAPs have similar battery life actually, but I think that having the wifi turned off might save some battery, although I am not sure if Tidal doesn't ask for wifi connection from time to time (?)

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #10,752 of 22,021
All flagship DAPs have similar battery life actually, but I think that having the wifi turned off might save some battery, although I am not sure if Tidal doesn't ask for wifi connection from time to time (?)

I have no idea as I have not tried this. I guess I could experiment and see if it helps if I download, I just thought someone on here may know the answer. Thanks for the reply

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #10,753 of 22,021
I have no idea as I have not tried this. I guess I could experiment and see if it helps if I download, I just thought someone on here may know the answer. Thanks for the reply
Not sure if it uses less battery but no, Tidal doesn't ask for a connection when you play from your offline selection. It's how I use it daily during my commute (haven't bothered to check battery drain as I have another charger at the office for the DX200).

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #10,754 of 22,021
WiFi use takes more current from the battery. That is normal as the more things that are running, the more battery use there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back