DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Nov 8, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #9,916 of 22,021
Why do I like the Dx200 Coax out as a Digital source so much! Hell, even with my Grounded Grid ot T2 and 009. Dx200 is worth it just for the Coax out digital transportation alone! The needles details of each trebles, the flying air ! It does Native DSD too!
I really like that feature, it works very well! But I thought that the files go through the DAP without passing through the DAC, so, how come the sound is so good?

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #9,917 of 22,021
I really like that feature, it works very well! But I thought that the files go through the DAP without passing through the DAC, so, how come the sound is so good?

Well, believe it or not, every digital transportations will have to have the file digital data processed by the DAC and the software itself but then will leave it alone in the digital state instead of converting into small analog state to go into preamplification and then amplification stages.

There is no such thing as “pure data” from the files into the DAC. If this was true, then you could always store your files on any Memory cards, or storage, and plug it straight into the DAC and play music, or browse through it

The next evident you have is that while using Coax out, you can adjust the EQ function too, and the digital filter! Yes, the EQ is applied during the Digital stage, your DAC will perceive it signals being processed this way, and simply converting it this way into the next analog stage. This is where manufacturers can use software to tune their sound signature. Don’t believe anyone who says that the operating system or play back app does not interfere with this process or coloring the sound. It does, and totally do so, sometime with their intentions and sometime without.

This same thing happens to Bluetooth Digital signals. Bluetooth is digital, yet is a Processed digital signals where you can also apply EQ as well

**some of the devices has these data processed by the main CPU, FE, smartphones. Some have it by the DAC, and some have a combination of both**. Anyways, the DX200 Coax Out is awesome, and the fact that it has great CPU for music application and DAC, it also has good components inside. Distortions is low, and that is what counts toward better details, extensions, and soundstage. Honestly, DX200 can even be built better. This is the reason why I am looking forward to see the Special Edition Copper or Titanium Version

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #9,920 of 22,021
Well, believe it or not, every digital transportations will have to have the file digital data processed by the DAC and the software itself but then will leave it alone in the digital state instead of converting into small analog state to go into preamplification and then amplification stages.

There is no such thing as “pure data” from the files into the DAC. If this was true, then you could always store your files on any Memory cards, or storage, and plug it straight into the DAC and play music, or browse through it

The next evident you have is that while using Coax out, you can adjust the EQ function too, and the digital filter! Yes, the EQ is applied during the Digital stage, your DAC will perceive it signals being processed this way, and simply converting it this way into the next analog stage. This is where manufacturers can use software to tune their sound signature. Don’t believe anyone who says that the operating system or play back app does not interfere with this process or coloring the sound. It does, and totally do so, sometime with their intentions and sometime without.

This same thing happens to Bluetooth Digital signals. Bluetooth is digital, yet is a Processed digital signals where you can also apply EQ as well

**some of the devices has these data processed by the main CPU, FE, smartphones. Some have it by the DAC, and some have a combination of both**. Anyways, the DX200 Coax Out is awesome, and the fact that it has great CPU for music application and DAC, it also has good components inside. Distortions is low, and that is what counts toward better details, extensions, and soundstage. Honestly, DX200 can even be built better. This is the reason why I am looking forward to see the Special Edition Copper or Titanium Version

What is your Coax brand name, may I ask?

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #9,921 of 22,021
Well, believe it or not, every digital transportations will have to have the file digital data processed by the DAC and the software itself but then will leave it alone in the digital state instead of converting into small analog state
I don't know a DAC chip on the market with digital output pin. Could you name a one to support your claim?

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #9,922 of 22,021
testing new beta firmware.

seems the idle standby battery drain in android mode is improved. 9-10% per day vs 20-25% of before.

Unfortunately hopes in improvement in Mango mode but not: the player touch reactivity continuing to be very bad compared to mango player in android mode.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #9,923 of 22,021
What is your Coax brand name, may I ask?
It doesn’t have a name
I don't know a DAC chip on the market with digital output pin. Could you name a one to support your claim?
I don’t know, and there will be people who is knowledgeable to answer this here. All I know is this block. Audio codec to feed Xmos, and Xmos to output digital audio. Is this codec a part of the chip DAC ? Or DSP from software and cpu or both ?

19A99FEA-0CDB-4868-A0CD-96AFD1BFCBF0.png

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #9,924 of 22,021
It doesn’t have a name

I don’t know, and there will be people who is knowledgeable to answer this here. All I know is this block. Audio codec to feed Xmos, and Xmos to output digital audio. Is this codec a part of the DAC ? Or DSP from software and cpu or both ?

DSP is handled before the DAC on the SoC (Xmos) through software then sent to the DAC. Digital to Analogue Converter means analogue output, not coaxial or optical. The Xmos decodes the PCM to bitstream and sends that bitstream to the DAC to turn in to analogue, or diverts it to the digital outputs for another DAC to do the analogue conversion. Same for DSD if any DSP/decoding/conversion is done to DSD in the player (typically not though for DSD unless the player converts DSD to PCM first).

So it goes like this:

Storage > De-code with software on the SoC > digital outputs or DAC > amplification

It does look like the DAC is providing a re-timing (MCLK ReSync) to the digital outputs in that diagram but it isn't decoding anything.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #9,925 of 22,021
How does Digital filter mode affect the Coax out in Dx200 ? Or I am hearing ghost whispering again. Isn’t selectable and programmable digital filters something new ? I know it always had been available to manufacturers but not to user. The new chips from AKM and ESS do have this feature, and somehow it affects Coax out no Dx200.

Anyways, if the DAC chips somehow contribute in clocking, isn’t that count as a part of the processing in digital form ?

I still don’t get why Sp1000 can’t do DOP or Native DSD Out from it Coax either. There are a lot of which I don’t get. All I get is to trust my ears and enjoy the music

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #9,926 of 22,021
How does Digital filter mode affect the Coax out in Dx200 ? Or I am hearing ghost whispering again

That’s a very good question. I presume the diagram you provided was not for the DX200 because it’s using the CS4270 DAC. I’m really not sure with the ESS9028pro regarding the DAC’s digital filter on coaxial output. You also could be hearing ghosts because it doesn’t make sense to me, but who knows, I could be wrong here. I suspect only iBasso can answer this.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #9,927 of 22,021
How does Digital filter mode affect the Coax out in Dx200 ? Or I am hearing ghost whispering again. Isn’t selectable and programmable digital filters something new ? I know it always had been available to manufacturers but not to user. The new chips from AKM and ESS do have this feature, and somehow it affects Coax out no Dx200.

Anyways, if the DAC chips somehow contribute in clocking, isn’t that count as a part of the processing in digital form ?

I still don’t get why Sp1000 can’t do DOP or Native DSD Out from it Coax either. There are a lot of which I don’t get. All I get is to trust my ears and enjoy the music

My understanding is that the digital filters are built in the DAC filter, and are made available by the DAC designer company, so it shouldn't be possible for them to work with coaux, but maybe there is something software implemented in DX200 (?)

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #9,928 of 22,021
That’s a very good question. I presume the diagram you provided was not for the DX200 because it’s using the CS4270 DAC. I’m really not sure with the ESS9028pro regarding the DAC’s digital filter on coaxial output.
Yes, all I can find is some simple blocks, and the above block was general, and not Dx200 in anyways. I can’t find datasheet for es9028/38Pro

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #9,930 of 22,021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back