DX200/220 Amp8, MAX and other EX modifications
May 15, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #91 of 473
Uhm...depends on what you mean ? Specific valued ? Or components ID ? Not exactly. As you can see in those pictures you posted, they are more like Grouped organizations instead. The Mask itself is BLack as you see too
No, I meant solder mask that prevents solder from sticking everywhere and causing short circuits.

In simplest terms, solder only sticks to the contact points and not the black parts right?

May 15, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #93 of 473
Yes, that is correct. However, small gaps will still make a bridge possible
Ok, it should be trivial then. Well, as long as I don't accidentally use too much solder.

May 16, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #94 of 473
Thought I can share some progress on my amp1.So far have replaced the nichicon 470uf fw caps. First,just one fw for nichicon Fg, results where encouraging. But the cap was to big in physical size. Compared to stock it had nicer depth to it but base seemed muddy over emphasized, lacked treble.
After reading quite a bit found that panasonic fr should have better balance. First also just replaced one of the two caps to see if ill like how it changes. After listening to chrome sparks on my way to shop, immediately replaced the second one for panasonic fr as well. All the caps have same values as stock.
IMG_20190516_181721[1].jpg IMG_20190516_181711[1].jpg IMG_20190516_181653[1].jpg IMG_20190516_181645[1].jpg
Afterwards curiosity got the better of me and I ordered some silmic 2 470uf 16v and the physical size is way to big, even bigger than nichicon fg of the same value. Perhaps next month gonna get my s*** together and order a 3d printed back cover that can fit all the parts I want.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #95 of 473
D6wffjeV4AAwZuO.jpg:large

Everyone seems to be entertaining ...

Today I finally got it on the Japanese release date of DX220.
Since the conversion adapter of 4.4 was changed from durability to Pentaconn, I would like to consider EX conversion after 300 hours.
Also, the protection sheet is Miyavix OverLay Magic.

Four new electrolytic capacitors are available.
I would like to listen to the combination of stock-cap and KO-CAP.

May 17, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #96 of 473
Can someone post a full length video with commentary of successfully completing this mod? I also need a list of tools and working conditions, anything I'd need to know assuming zero experience and knowledge. Amp8EX for dummies. Preferably the video would cover places where you can break the amp. Given iBasso's disinterest in providing maximum performance at a great price I'm considering attempting this mod myself. There was a mention earlier in the thread that the DX220 makes modding the dap itself unnecessary so the amp is the focus.

May 18, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #98 of 473
Can someone post a full length video with commentary of successfully completing this mod? I also need a list of tools and working conditions, anything I'd need to know assuming zero experience and knowledge. Amp8EX for dummies. Preferably the video would cover places where you can break the amp. Given iBasso's disinterest in providing maximum performance at a great price I'm considering attempting this mod myself. There was a mention earlier in the thread that the DX220 makes modding the dap itself unnecessary so the amp is the focus.

Hello.

I think that there is no video for this thread at all for Amp8EX.
I do not know.

It's hard to start Amp8EX from scratch, so I think that asking for a reliable engineer is also an option.

May 18, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #99 of 473
Yea I know. I want to do this myself as I don't know any reliable audio engineers. Some modders claim they welcome the idea for anyone to partake in this. I guess the first question is is this mod doable for someone who has no idea?

May 18, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #100 of 473
Yea I know. I want to do this myself as I don't know any reliable audio engineers. Some modders claim they welcome the idea for anyone to partake in this. I guess the first question is is this mod doable for someone who has no idea?

I think no one is against you to do any remodeling, and there is no right to deny anyone.
I think you are welcome.

I think it's great that you work from scratch, but at the same time, I'm worried because I can not count on the hardship involved.
There is no guarantee that anyone can get Amp8 EX by remodeling, and unexpected problems may occur.
But,
I think that's good if you can move forward with affirmation and enjoyment of everything that happens due to remodeling, without rush.

May 18, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #101 of 473
Tl:dr
If you have the confidence to carry out the mod, by all means do so but be warned, not everything will go smoothly all the time.

@Whitigir any warnings? Steps to really be careful on?

May 18, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #102 of 473
Well, this mod is somewhat of a tutorial in a way. And it's not like you're designing the mod but rather just tracing the steps of an already successful mod.

Id say its like mapping everest for the first time vs climbing everest with a map.

May 18, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #103 of 473
What I'm reading is very far from small steps that can be traced, and reading isn't seeing. It's barely an outline and clearly requires a good deal of knowledge, unless I've missed something. Edwardsean then refers to TDK and GRP that I do not see prior (if TDK is the sheets that limit noise I see that but uncertain what the application steps are, I also see now that the GRP acronym refers to the ground stuff, not sure why we needed an immediate reminder of what was already covered but ok). Overall there's very little information from the perspective of someone who is unfamiliar with everything. The only thing that might suffice is the ground part, and I'm not quite sure whether I'd only be sanding the things on the plastic cover. The good thing is the dap itself doesn't need to be touched so that portion is removed. With the information available there's no way I'm attempting this. I'd only screw up my amp or waste my time. I think a comprehensive full length youtube video would be best as writing and using images would be inefficient. I very much wonder how many functioning amp8EXes are out there.

With a good full length video maybe more people than myself decide to attempt this mod. Then we can happily wait for iBasso's amp15, if not 19.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #104 of 473
What I'm reading is very far from small steps that can be traced, and reading isn't seeing. It's barely an outline and clearly requires a good deal of knowledge, unless I've missed something. Edwardsean then refers to TDK and GRP that I do not see prior (if TDK is the sheets that limit noise I see that but uncertain what the application steps are). Overall there's very little information from the perspective of someone who is unfamiliar with everything. The only thing that might suffice is the ground part, and I'm not quite sure whether I'd only be sanding the things on the plastic cover. The good thing is the dap itself doesn't need to be touched so that portion is removed. With the information available there's no way I'm attempting this. I'd only screw up my amp or waste my time. I think a comprehensive full length youtube video would be best as writing and using images would be inefficient. I very much wonder how many functioning amp8EXes are out there.

With a good full length video maybe more people than myself decide to attempt this mod. Then we can happily wait for iBasso's amp15, if not 19.

What is in this thread is all of AMP8EX.

Just follow the instructions for AMP8EX presented by Whitigir at the beginning.
It is not a summary but a clear instruction.

You may be dissatisfied with it, but this thread is for people who can understand the instructions given.

It is your freedom to demand what you think is missing, but it is your freedom to respond.
If you have questions about specific parts, it will be easy to answer.
I think we can help each other with our know-how.

Since you are an AMP-related newbie, no one can respond if you complain that you are not satisfied because you do not have the information I need.
In the information you need
・ Soldering knowledge and experience
・ Knowledge of AMP to read PCB pattern
・ Understanding sound quality for parts
I think communication is easy if it is more specific.

At first everyone is a beginner and gain valuable experience and knowledge through failure and learning.
It's a way for everyone, with no shortcuts.

The necessary information about AMP8EX is in this thread.
You can ask questions to gain the necessary knowledge to run AMP8EX.
You may think that "you need something more systematic and easy for everyone to understand."
(It may be an explanatory video about remodeling)
If you need something that does not exist, it is your job.

DIY is free at the person's own risk.
Welcome to the world of AMP8EX.

May 18, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #105 of 473
At first everyone is a beginner and gain valuable experience and knowledge through failure and learning.
It's a way for everyone, with no shortcuts.

Failure amounts to a loss of $200 with sufficient learning not guaranteed risking further loss. The shortcut is a comprehensive video as is common practice in DIY. Welcome to the bigger world of DIY projects, whether it is building something, modding something, or just putting together a computer. Can't say I understand the continuous promotion of this mod if no one wants to go through the trouble of making it accessible. Then it amounts to bragging. It also isn't free. The parts for the mod cost at least an additional $130.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back