DX1000 Vs LA7000: Some observations and comparisons
May 2, 2010 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]Introduction[/size]
I've had loaner pairs of both the DX1000 and LA7000 at my place for the past week, doing predominantly casual listening through my Pico > HA160 rig, and thought I'd post a few observations of the differences between the two closed, woodie bass kings.

Please note, this is not intended to be a proper review of these two headphones. I haven't invested the time required to be thorough and methodic, and instead am simply jotting down my impressions from listening to what I want to listen to.

[size=medium]Looks, Comfort and Build Quality[/size]
The LA7000 wins in the looks game, hands down. The custom wood cups, bright metal fixtures and luxuriously supple Jena cable all combine to make a very handsome headphone. It has a fair bit of weight to it as well, making it feel substantial to hold and handle.

The DX1000 is still quite a good looking headphone, albeit it pales a bit in comparison. The fixtures and hinges are much duller compared to the LA7000, and feel plasticky to the touch. The stock cable appears to be quite thick and rugged, but lacks the truly decadent feeling of braided Jena wire.

Comfort wise however, the DX1000 is a fair few steps ahead of the Denons. The JVC is much lighter, with thicker pads that comform themselves to the shape of your head and create a seal without exerting much pressure. The fit feels solid, to the point where one can safely headbang to Bohemian Rhapsody without worrying about flinging headphones off the noggin and into the wall.

LA7000 comfort leaves a few things to be desired. The weight of the headphone is greater than the DX1000, and seems to press around the ears a fair bit more, causing them to become uncomfortable during long listening sessions. The headband's padding is also thinner than the DX1000's, causing a bit of discomfort along the top of the head.

[size=medium]Listening Impressions[/size]

LA7000
As soon as one puts the LA7000 on, there's immediate "wow" factor. This isn't a headphone that needs a long adjustment period on the part of the listener. You don't have to wait before you "get" it, it gets gotten from the get go (try saying that 10 times fast). The presentation is very forward, with everything presented clearly, unapologetically, and vividly. It embodies the antithesis of "veiled".

Bass attacks go deep, with nice resonance and slam, yet remain clean. There doesn't seem to be much bleed between images, even with the very forward presentation clustering everything closer together to the point where that would normally occur. The cleanliness combined with the strength of the bass reproduction immediately flagged the LA7000 as a potentially excellent trance headphone, and that proved to be the case when put through its paces on some Infected Mushroom and Nick Skitz. The only issue that arose with this combination is a certain brightness to the Denons that begun to induce listener fatigue within about 20 minutes, for me.

For metal, particularly heavy metal, I almost feel that the LA7000's are too clean. I want more slam and grit out of them than they're giving me. Metallica's Black Album comes across a tad too thin and anemic for my taste, which is odd considering that the LA7000 couldn't be considered bass light by any strech of the imagination. Perhaps the Lawton Audio damping has simply culled reverberation TOO much for this genre.

Female vocals, such as Loreena McKennitt, sound quite vivid and crystalline. However, it's also afflicted by a slight harshness to the treble, which ends up detracting a bit from the experience. Being a very forward headphone, the LA7000 also has difficulty conveying the size and atmosphere of the recording venue in tracks like Dante's Prayer, where Loreena's voice should echo and resonate throughout the cathedral.

DX1000
The JVC's, in contrast, did take me a while to "get". Initially I felt them to be slightly uninvolving, with a surprisingly distant presentation from a bassy closed headphone. Over time this impression has evaporated, and what I intially perceived as distance, I now hear as expansiveness. One might argue that's only a difference in terminology to describe the same thing, and with a certain amount of validity. But that's pretty much how my oppinion of them has evolved during the week they've been here. The DX1000 possesses a large soundstage for a closed headphone, and this I think is where most people double-take, as it does not live up to the typical expectations of a closed 'phone.

Loreena McKennitt's Dante's Prayer, which the LA7000 struggled with, the DX1000 seems much more suited to. The treble response of the JVC's is much sweeter, eliminating the distracting harshness experienced by the Denons. And while the sense of space experienced in this track doesn't match the HD800's ability to convey, we have to make a few concessions for the JVC being both closed, and half its price.

Bass isn't as clean on the DX1000. It resonates to a greater degree, and is perhaps even slightly bloated in the midbass in comparison to the very linear response of the LA7000. That being said, they still don't entirely satisfy me with Metallica. Some of the missing body experienced with the LA7000 is back, but the JVC's lack the true angst needed to convince me here. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by my memories of the PS-1. Ah, there was a metal headphone.

Oddly, I find the DX1000 more satisfying for trance than I do the LA7000's. The extra bass resonance and heft brings this style of music to life, more than the clean, precise nature of the LA7000's can manage to do.

[size=medium]Conclusion[/size]
I like the DX1000's more than the LA7000. A great deal of this has to do with my own listening biases - my preferences for body, larger soundstages, and sweet treble. The LA7000 seems to be the higher technical performer of the two, and is a very balanced headphone with an excellent response across the frequency spectrum. But the slight harshness to the treble, the very forward nature of the presentation, and the cleanliness of the bass response prevent me from truly liking them.

And now you ask: "How can a clean bass response be a bad thing?" I do, after all, love the HD800, which is just as clean and has less quantity to boot. But I love the HD800 because of their extremely open sound, the sense of being a clear window into the music, and the size of the soundstage they are able to portray.

The DX1000 manage to capture some of this, or as much as a closed headphone can really aspire to at this price point, and combine it with truly juicy bass to satisfy my metal and trance cravings. The LA7000, in contrast, doesn't attempt to be an open-sounding headphone, and simply presents everything in a very upfront, clear, immediate fashion. There is no "right" and "wrong" between these two ideals, they simply appeal to different tastes.

And my taste, accustomed to open headphones such as the HD600/HD800, demands some space and air to breathe. The DX1000 delivers, does so comfortably, and also brings to the table more bass than my open headphones can provide, which works wonders for alot of the material I listen to.

May 2, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 22
Good review. Based on my quick listening of D7000, I too came to similar thoughts.

Do also try DX1k with films/ concerts (Bluray or DVD) as well if you havent' tried that already.

May 2, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 22
Very nice comparison Covenant, I don't have a chance to listen the LA7000. But as an owner of both HD800 (recabled with Apuresound V3 balanced) and DX1000 (recabled with Jena cable balenced), I agreed with your finding on both of them, even sometimes I noticed the coloration on the DX1000 and it is hard to describe, especially on the bass notes. It is not as detail and opens as the HD800 (of they're in different league) but I admit I like that bass from the DX1000 everytime when I listen to it.

May 2, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the comparison. Since you mentioned Lorenna McKennit did you ever listen to the book of secret album? If so try the prologue track... I swear there is a teletubby in there making dents in my right wooden ear cup
frown.gif

I agree a lot with your findings on the DX 1000.

What I don´t agree upon is the looks. They are butt ugly! I also wonder about the bass. They seem to be very finicky about system matching or bass goes caputt. Heed Canamp was obviously a crap match to them. Bass got one noted. Though a sweet note that was quite quickly and not that good extension. The bass on the Keces/GHP combo however I found quite linear and it definiatly digs as deep as the Pro 900 now and with much more authority. Does go 1:1 with my speaker system with 10" sub. It´s the only headphone I have which infected mushroom actually sounds like infected mushroom surely.

Big bass, multi layered but not that punchy at all unless really called for. Though it plays pretty close to boominess it seems. Pass the threshold on the DAC19 much more frequently then on the Keces.

Never heard the LA7000 but I much preferr this woodie over the markl D5000 with jena cables... The reverb hear seems more natural. On the markl D5000 it had some strange echoes. Is there more dampening material on the LA7000 then the markl D5000 or is it something with the Jena cables that causes that?

May 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comparison. Since you mentioned Lorenna McKennit did you ever listen to the book of secret album? If so try the prologue track... I swear there is a teletubby in there making dents in my right wooden ear cup
frown.gif

I do have the book of secrets album, I'll listen to prologue and see if I can track down that teletubby
tongue.gif

Quote:

It´s the only headphone I have which infected mushroom actually sounds like infected mushroom surely.

Yeah, they manage just the right balance of bass depth, bass kick, resonance, clarity and attack for that band.

Quote:

Big bass, multi layered but not that punchy at all unless really called for. Though it plays pretty close to boominess it seems.

It does. LA7000's bass is very controlled in comparison.

Quote:

Never heard the LA7000 but I much preferr this woodie over the markl D5000 with jena cables... The reverb hear seems more natural. On the markl D5000 it had some strange echoes. Is there more dampening material on the LA7000 then the markl D5000 or is it something with the Jena cables that causes that?

I've heard the MD5000 as well and know what you mean about strange echoes. LA7000 fixes that problem, and IMO is how the MD5000 should have sounded in the first place. Markl notes that he uses a different damping method with the D7000's, but doesn't disclose exactly what is different. Which is fair enough, now that he's a MOT.

May 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 22
I have the la7000 and agree with most of what you had to say. The bass is controlled and they are pretty neutral across the spectrum. Maybe it is my system or maybe that I am using the j$ pads which are a little thicker, but I havent had any problems with the treble and dont find them fatiguing at all. I had the hd800 at the same time as the la7000 and found myself always reaching for the la7000. The hd800 for me, the soundstage was too big. I tend to like a medium sized soundstage so the la7000 works just fine. The large soundstage of the hd800 was great for classical and really enjoyed them in this genre more than other cans. I tend to listen to a lot of different genre so when a different genre came on it just didnt seem right to me. Ill probably buy the hd800 again someday just for classical listening.

May 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hd800 for me, the soundstage was too big. I tend to like a medium sized soundstage so the la7000 works just fine.

See, I wouldn't call the LA7000 a 'medium sized' soundstage. I'd call them small, or intimate. DX1000 is more my idea of medium, with HD800 being large.

May 2, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 22
To me the hd800 is extra large.
biggrin.gif
What cans were considered large before the hd800. Besides the k1000 which is a different class in itself. The hd800 seemed to warp the large catagory. Grado 225 to me is small.

May 3, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the hd800 is extra large.
biggrin.gif
What cans were considered large before the hd800. Besides the k1000 which is a different class in itself. The hd800 seemed to warp the large catagory. Grado 225 to me is small.

That would be the K701.

May 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote::Thanks for the comparison. Since you mentioned Lorenna McKennit did you ever listen to the book of secret album? If so try the prologue track... I swear there is a teletubby in there making dents in my right wooden ear cup

There is indeed,and only in the right bowl,heavens knows why they decided to put a low level bass beat only on one channel,unless they decided that with normal speakers it would not be noticed.

I doubt that those with open phones would know that it was there.

May 3, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #14 of 22
Thanks for your impressions, it's a very interesting to read!

I assume you've tried the AudioTechnica W5000 before? Am I correct in assuming the W5000 sound stage would be larger than the DX1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back