DVD Tues: Final Fantasy Advent Children
Apr 28, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #31 of 41
FF7:AC is a piece of slick fanservice fluff.

I'd also say it's very different from EoE. EoE was Anno telling fans, "Okay, this is the definitive end of the story. Now get off of my damn lawn and stop bothering me." Which is why it featured the methodical killing off of pretty much every single damn character in the series.

FF7:AC does the exact opposite and ensures that you know that not only are all the heroes (well, excepting Aeris) are all alive and well, there's also the renewed threat of the continually resurrecting Sephiroth. In other words, SquareEnix is going to continue the story in order to make huge chunks of change.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #32 of 41
I'm a huge fan of FFVII, and this movie was a half-assed fanservice of said game. It had all the bits and bolts, but missed out on what made the game so great. If you didn't play the game, there's no purpose in seeing the movie at ALL.

Also, I saw the Japanese version ages ago. I heard the new US voices, and I can't believe how bad they are. If you're going to delay a film nearly a year for voice acting, you better damn well get it right. I hated EVERY single voice, and I'm pretty sure the bad subtitles I saw made more sense than the US version's voice overs.

As well... this frankly isn't how I saw things in FFVII ending up. I just don't think the whole idea made sense in the timeframe and world of FFVII, particularly after the actual ending of FFVII when the mechanical world returns to nature in the very last cinema. Sephiroth returns simply because Square needs him to make money! It's like the ending of FFX and then playing FFX-2... they knew there was money in it and they just couldn't leave a really nicely wrapped package alone.

Oh, one thing I did like: Cloud's final limit break as shown in the movie. Really nice stuff.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #33 of 41
I was a pretty big fan of FF back in the day. so when rumors hit about The Spirits Within, I was very hyped. I kept up with the development of the movie until it hit theatres, i think the time spans was about a few years. i saw it opening day at a really fancy theatre, and when it was over, i thought to myself that i liked it. but that was it, i wanted so much to like it after so long a wait. but it was bad, the movie was just bad, i had to accept that. FFVII is one of my favorites, but i didn't want to get too excited for this either. after the first time, i liked it because i was excited about it, then watching it again, it really was just...eh...i wish they followed throught the story line to develope a real sequal, you know? not brush off into a different story line. they're beating FFVII into the ground. looks good though, thats all i have to say.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #34 of 41
I played the game, saw the movie, read the script, understood the plot, and loved the movie. I think the main reason why i like it so much is because I realized that it's a movie. IT"S NOT SUPPOSE TO BE REALISTIC. Who cares people have weird hair, weird physics, the point is entertainment; and the movie entertained me. I hated when i sit in a movie theater and people be saying "ooh that could never happen in real life, or that's not realistic/that's so fake!" No $hit, it's a freaking movie, nothing is real about it.

The point is not real or real, the point is entertainment. Where you entertained for a few hours? If you were, then it's a good movie (in your opinion), if you weren't, then it's not a good movie (in your opionion).

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I heard the new US voices, and I can't believe how bad they are. If you're going to delay a film nearly a year for voice acting, you better damn well get it right. I hated EVERY single voice, and I'm pretty sure the bad subtitles I saw made more sense than the US version's voice overs.

I turned on the subs before even attempting to listen to the voice acting, sounds like I made the right choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
FFVII was blantant pandering to the fans...and I loved it! If you watch the making of they address the weird physics saying "people may say that people cant jump that far, or say airborn that long, but we wern't concerned with that. We decided that anything could go if it looked cool." or something like that. Also, this movie was based on a videogame so of course there are going to be some stretches. You don't watch a movie like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and complain about the realism of the fight scenes. I thought the storyline was good too, my only real complain was that they never explained wher eteh remenants came from. And I did notice the constantly moving camera angles. They didn't really bother me, it just made it a bit harder to follow the fights, but really within the style of animation the fights looked realistically fast. Oh, and you HAVE to have played FF7 to understand the movie. Why is it that so many people see sequels and then complain when they don't understand something? Duh? You missed the whole first half (In this case the majority) of the story.

I completely agree. This movie was made for fans of the game. If you don't fall into that category then there is a good chance you won't like this movie.

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #37 of 41
Against all the head-fi wisdom, I bought the movie (for US$14). I love it, being a fan of FFVII (it was the first RPG that I was totally engrossed with). I mean really who cares if it doesn't look realistic? In really life, cloud's hair wouldn't remain that spikey without applying thick layer of clay, that would decrease the fluidity of his hair as well, and how did his hair remains in style after being soaked in water? Who cares if characters are able to fly to the height of empire state building and fight monsters while running vertically upwall?

Preeeeet-ey fanservice eyecandy is all we need.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #38 of 41
I think there is a misunderstanding here,
spikey hair large blades do not bother me.

now, if someone has long hair and starts walking, its annoying that the characters look like theyre floating in water when walking on land, or the long hair moving about like it was in water really slowly which in dry air.

or rather the emulation of a shakey camera looks does not look like a shakey camera. In a world where they are trying to emulate real physics in terms of cloth and hair it was done poorly. I am not referring to why they used a certain type of physics or other worldly physics, Im referring to how poorly it was done. Yes I am aware about anime and cartoon physics, the movie fails in both realism and exagerated.

american cg movies by pixar dreamworks and such totally outclass ff's attempts and visually convincing animation. the ff movie executed it rather poorly IMO

look at the animation of finding nemo or the incredibles which also uses over the top animation and its in a totally different league of quality. i.e. everything in ff moves uniformly with no anomolies that we normally expect what watching animation, while the pixar movies speeds up, stops, moves randomly.

Im not expecting everyone to understand what Im trying to get at, but remove the Final Fantasy fanboyism blinding you
smily_headphones1.gif
, and if you are sensitive to subtle nuances you'll understand what Im talking about. Yes I get bothered by this rather easily :p

Another thing is if the film were seen on a big screen, this amplifies the inconsistencies and flaws of the visual execution 100x over. a small movement or shake or messed up animation is huge and apparently blatent on the big screen. have the same things done over and over throughout the movie and you'll get irked just as me
smily_headphones1.gif

Im sure most won't notice or care however.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #40 of 41
As a movie? Pretty terrible, imo. It'd rate it among the really cheesy Hollywood action flicks.

As an movie extention of a video game? Wicked awesome.

I'm a fangirl, but I won't delude myself into thinking that FF7:AC is a wonderful piece of cinema, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. Comparing FF7 to AC is really no comparison, the game was far better. I'm probably not going to let my non-gamer friends watch this movie otherwise they'll think badly of the bad. I'd like to point out that Advent Children started out as a far shorter tech demonstration that was only a short story. Then Square decided to make it into a full length movie--so that's a major explanation as to why there was no story. It's fanservice designed to give fans a kick out of seeing their favorite polygon characters animated with today's technology. Another explanation is that this wasn't a very high budget production (in comparison to Spirits Within or the actual FF video games) iirc. It was just a side project.

If you're a FF7 fan, I think you'll like it at least for its graphics. If you're a movie fan, I think you'll probably think it's horrible. But then again, I went in to the movie with muted expectations because I didn't want to be disappointed, and luckily, I wasn't.

nsjong: There was an English dub (wasn't horrible, wasn't mindblowing), but the original Japanese was included as well.

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
FF7:AC is a piece of slick fanservice fluff.

I'd also say it's very different from EoE. EoE was Anno telling fans, "Okay, this is the definitive end of the story. Now get off of my damn lawn and stop bothering me." Which is why it featured the methodical killing off of pretty much every single damn character in the series.

FF7:AC does the exact opposite and ensures that you know that not only are all the heroes (well, excepting Aeris) are all alive and well, there's also the renewed threat of the continually resurrecting Sephiroth. In other words, SquareEnix is going to continue the story in order to make huge chunks of change.

Marv: Next time you might want to put a spoiler tag man! I'm pretty sure there are at least some people who have never seen Evangelion or EoE.
tongue.gif

Anywho, I wouldn't really say it's all that different from EoE, I perceived EoE as a big F You from Gainax and especially Anno to his fans. I don't know how to express it well, I guess it's just that this isn't what you want to see, everything is diluted down to its basic elements and flash is inserted in place of substance. I did like the End of Evangelion, it was fantastic from a visual standpoint, but... it's jarring going from the TV series to the movie, I get the same sense comparing FF VII to Advent Children. As for Eva, the ending of the televised Evangelion WAS the original INTENDED, TRUE ending to Evangelion. Hideaki Anno was distressed to see fans making hentai doujin with his beloved characters and received death threats from fans for his convoluted take on the original TV series ending, which was something he made during a period of great depression, it really hurt him that the fans would respond in this manner. (On a related note, FF VII was made during a great period of depression for Hironobu Sakaguchi as well, his mother died I believed and he saw Evangelion and was very influenced by it, you can easily see the similarities between the two) Thus EoE was made, it had a lot of over the top action sequences (Asuka's battle with the new Units come to mind), but most importantly, it was an incredibly violent and nihilistic interpretation of the televised ending. This is what I have read from a very comprehensive Eva site anyway.

Although they all were killed off, they all come back anyway, since Shinji wished for the barriers that separated people's hearts to be reinstated. Thus Asuka was the first to return from LCL. Shinji choked her to gauge her reaction, which was one of utter disgust, thus he knew that things had returned to what they were. This was the official stance taken by Gainax as to the ending, it was offered through a series of cards and was printed in the Evangelion Bible. [End Spoiler]

Anywho sorry for deviating from the original topic, just thought it might be interesting for some Eva fans to read on, you are free to follow your own interpretation, it's just kinda interesting to hear Gainax's take is all.

Catch you later,
Id

Users who are viewing this thread

Back