DvD Tues: Date Movie
Jun 3, 2006 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
So this week, I picked up this dvd for my weekly visit to home theater. Ive found the movie a bit dissapointing. Anyone else see this film? Maybe it was because I am not familiar with all the romantic movies it was a parody of.

Directed by the same director of the scary movies. I had high hopes of getting a good laugh from this film. It had its moments, but I felt disconnected with most of the movie. And some jokes I simply did not understand.

there are some genuine comic moments in it with the following parodies of

Lord of the Rings
meet polly
meet the parents
and dodgeball

but Id say this movie is definately a rent over purchase. Make sure you keep up with all the happenings of the date films it parodies, otherwise you may find yourself at a loss as I did.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 21
True letdown, this movie was a piece of you know what if you ask me.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 21
To be blunt, I thought it sucked. Then again, I hated the Scary Movie films so I'm hardly in a non-biased position to rate the movie.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 21
I saw it on DVD too and it was pretty bad! I was hoping this would be something like Scary Movie series, cheesy yet watchably funny. However the Date Movie was not even that level. Total waste of 1.5 hour of my life.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 21
Ah.. so im not the only one. DVD releases have been a crap shoot lately. maybe next week something worth whille will surface?

I think all the companies are holding out for the holidays
frown.gif

these past few weeks have been a steady release of crap films

hoodwinked, bloodrayne, and date movie!

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 21
well I just checked the coming soon list so some potentially good films should be arriving soon.

next tues Underworld evolution
following tues 16 blocks
and tuesday after that ultraviolet.

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 21
16 blocks looks pretty good, I'll look forward to your thoughts on it.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 21
16 blocks was amusing for Mos Def's performance (which isn't _that_ great, but still amusing). Definitely a good rental. I saw it in the theater and thought it was okay for what it was. Don't expect too much though, else you'll be disappointed.

Best,

-Jason

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 21
Pick up "Harlan County U.S.A." by Barbara Kopple. It's a new Criterion and it's really fascinating.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 21
Where do you get a list of upcoming movie titles? And now that I think about it, Date Movie just had some of the stupidest humuor ever. Then again, I hated the Scary Movie series too.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 21
I just watched Underworld Evolution on DVD tonight and it was pretty bad. All gore and action. I honestly did not follow the storyline for most of the movie.

Of course the one upside is Kate Beckinsale still looks great in tight black vinyl.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
actually date movie wasn't directed by the scary movie directors (david zucker or keenan wayans) but some other guy. and yes it was absolutely terrible.

Then why did they say it was from 2 of the four or 5 or something directors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back