DVD setup disc?
Feb 3, 2002 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dhwilkin

Headphone audiophiles are practically the stuff of legend.
I know there are at least three different DVDs that are used for calibrating your HT system. One's called "DVD Essentials", can't remember the others. Anyway, does it really matter which one I use?

Feb 3, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
You don't need that, some DVD now days, (ie Moulin Rouge) comes with a screen on the DVD that helps you to set the correct colour & brightness on your TV and test you Multi channel setup using white noise.

That's great for calibrating to that disc.

However, Video Essentials and DVD Essentials from ISF/Joe Kane and Avia, from someone, all 3 highly recommended, contain a lot of material for both video and audio set-up.

They have very detailed instructions for setting all of the user adjustables on most monitors and players along with all the test materials you'll need.

They also have detailed instructions on setting audio levels, balancing and placing speakers, etc. They have test tones which are much more accurate than the test tones in 99% of processors, because they take in the whole system.

Get a test/setup disc. The improvements you'll see and hear are so worth it.

IMHO

BTW I use Video Essentials.

Feb 4, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 6
I use Video Essentials also and it's great. I use it to calibrate my projector and scaler and the instructions are very good. If I can do it, anyone can.

There is something out there called the Ulimate DVD. My advise is to run the other way if you see this one on the shelf. It is horrible. I won't even go into it.

BUT-- make sure you have a Radio Shack SPL meter to go with the Video Essentials.

The THX calibration section on some of the newer DVDs (like Moulin Rouge) are helpful as a "second opinion", but I always come back to my VE.

Feb 4, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 6
I use both Avia and Video Essentials. Both are good, but Video Essentials is getting a bit dated. I'm assuming DVD Essentials is the updated version, but I haven't gotten it yet.

IMO Avia is a bit better than the original Video Essentials. It comes with blue, red and green filters, not just blue, making it easier to fine tune color adjustments. Basic user adjustments are very close beween the two, otherwise. Avia's advanced adjustments are more organized and better explained than VE, IMO, and that's the one I tend to use.

If you have VE, there's absolutely no need to run out and get Avia, and vice versa. I must admit that I'm curious about DVD Essentials, which means that I'm probably going to drop some money on something I don't need at all...won't be the first time
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 6
From what I've heard, Avia is the one to get. However, like Hirsch said, if you've got any of them there's no real need to go buy another. Spend the money on more movies instead.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back