DVD-Audio playback on OS X
Apr 22, 2009 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GreatBug

Head-Fier
I've done my searching, and it hasnt been clearly answered for me yet, so here goes.

How can I play a DVD-Audio disk on my Mac? No, not the audio track of a DVD-Video disk. I know I can get 5.1 off the NIN With Teeth dualdisk, but that's only about 1.5Mbit/s. What I'd really like to listen to is the DVD-Audio track next to it which has (up to) about 9.8Mbit/s dedicated to just the music.

From what I can determine, the only way to play a DVD-Audio on a computer is to use a specifically supported Creative sound card under windows. I'd rather not.

Is there an Apple / Macintosh / OS X solution available?

Thanks,

GreatBug

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you tried outputting the audio through the optical out from the Mac to a 5.1 speaker set that have optical input? For example, the logitech surround speakers have optical inputs.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 8
hh, my issue is more about software decoding the bits on the disk. Yes, once software is able to decode the bitstream, I've got logitech 5500s connected via toslink. However, the only track that my computer will play is the audio portion of the DVD-video format area, rather than the DVD-Audio section.

I think my solution might be to just buy an OPPO player that has hardware support. But I'd rather play it right from the drive in my macbook.

--Bug

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 8
DualDisc is 1 side Protected CD (NOT Red Book), and the other side is DVD-A / DVD

Oddly on my PC i can play the DVD-A and output it to 5.1 Analog, but the (Almost) CD side won't play at all.

Still, I can Rip the DVD-A to a Lossless multichannel flac if I want with DVDAudio Explorer. Do any Macs have analog 5.1 output? I'm not sure DVD-A will allow bitstreaming at full resolution from the disc itself.

DVD-Audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 8
Macs output 5.1 using the mini optical socket built into the headphone socket.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, I can play 5.1 all day - from a DVD-Video.

craiglester, are you sure you are playing the DVD-Audio section, and not the audio portion of the DVD-Video? If so, what software/hardware are you using

Users who are viewing this thread

Back