DVD-A vs. SACD
Apr 25, 2009 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SlaughterX

Head-Fier
So which one is better? I know there are a few albums that have been released on both formats.

41NVJKF0S1L._SS500_.jpg

51P1FACRS8L._SS500_.jpg

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 11
I have an Oppo DVD/SACD player and I love it. Although I haven't had the opportunity too play the exact same media in each format I do have a descent collection of DVD Audio and SACD discs and both sound great. For my ears, the different is indistinguishable.

GREAT album BTW!

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 11
I have found that there are good and bad mastering of both but when done right there
is little to no difference with the exception of video or stills on the dvd-a.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 11
Marvin Gaye collection is a huge dissapointment for me except the last two songs. The sound quality is all over the place, and the song selection and total cd length is extremely dissapointing. One of the worst SACD's I have purchased so far.

But there are some terrific albums on SACD. I havent made a direct comparison between SACD and DVD-A of The Downward Spiral by NIN but I can tell you that the SACD sounds fantastic.

May 1, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 11
I <3 SACD.

May 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Hasn't DVD-A been abandoned? I don't think there are any new releases, right? Technically, both are quite good, but SACD availabilty is much better and the format is supported by many manufacturers. I love SACD - though I've thought about picking up a DVD player that supports DVD-A so I can pick up a few of those titles, as well.

May 4, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 11
1. Depends on the mastering. Plenty of plain vanilla CDs will stomp all over certain Hi-Rez travesties.

2. Depends on the player. A killer SACD machine will make SACDs (and CD) sound much better than DVD-A on a lousy machine, and vice-versa.

Personnaly, FWIW, having looked into this over a long time on many machines, given the choice, I like DVD-Audio. Naturally, that's a format that has died.
frown.gif

May 4, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlaughterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does music really take advantage of the higher storage capacity of DVDs?

of course, today all labels that care about quality release in hi-rez Stockfisch, Chesky, Analogue Productions, Mofi, Reference Recordings, Chandos, Alia Vox etc..

tableofformats.jpg

May 4, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Depends on the mastering. Plenty of plain vanilla CDs will stomp all over certain Hi-Rez travesties.

2. Depends on the player. A killer SACD machine will make SACDs (and CD) sound much better than DVD-A on a lousy machine, and vice-versa.

also mp3 played on a great system against a terrible vinyl copy on a very cheap setup would probably win the confrontation.. but that doesn't prove that mp3 is better than Vinyl
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back