DVD-A vs SACD
Feb 18, 2003 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wordsworth

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious if people thought one format was better than the other. Personally I just bought a Philips 963SA so the question is a little redundent for me, but I am still curious to know.

I think it comes down to what you can get hold of and in the UK DVD-A is more widely available and so I was looking for a DVD-A player however the Philips 963SA just looked to good of a buy.

Wordsworth

Feb 18, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Hi Wordsworth,

I have an SACD player and a separate DVD-A player.

I'm not sure which one is "better" - but I do find SACDs to be more plentiful and cheaper than DVD-A discs at the moment.

--Jatinder

Feb 18, 2003 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm confused. Will a player like the Philips outperform a decent CD player like the Meridian 507 for CD? Or even if it doesn't does the extra element of SACD (assuming I'm hunting around for SACDs of course) outperform a good CD player and the difference with CD will be minimal enough for me to be happy? I still have £1,700 earmarked for a decent CD player or DAC for my CDP-X3000 for headphone specific use, but if I can get away with the 963 then I can put some money towards a premium bicycle fork and perhaps some wheels that I don't keep bending all the time.

Feb 18, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I'm confused. Will a player like the Philips outperform a decent CD player like the Meridian 507 for CD? Or even if it doesn't does the extra element of SACD (assuming I'm hunting around for SACDs of course) outperform a good CD player and the difference with CD will be minimal enough for me to be happy? I still have £1,700 earmarked for a decent CD player or DAC for my CDP-X3000 for headphone specific use, but if I can get away with the 963 then I can put some money towards a premium bicycle fork and perhaps some wheels that I don't keep bending all the time.

It seems to me I suggested you check the 963 out before. I suggest you check out tuberoller and Jazz's review's to give you an idea of how good the player is.

Feb 18, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 15
Basically from what I understand SACD and DVD-A have higher and lower frequencies (so you can feel the base (low frequencies are felt more than heard) as well as hear it) and to give you uncompressed (dolby and DTS are compressed multichannel)multichannel audio. So if you have the right setup up with a good AV and speakers you can have the music properly surround you. Probably means investing more money to get that level of sound though.

BTW their have been some positive reviews on here for the Philips 963SA and on a few other sites (though they tend to sell it). As I neither own a DVD player or a CD player for £310 pound it seems like a good buy. Plus if I decided to buy a expensive TV that is progressive scan compliant I can make use of that feature of the DVD, which I have been told will give fantastic quality. The 963SA also seems to have quite a few features if the options on the menu are anything to go by. If it wasn't so big I would bring it to a head-fi meet so you call all listen to it and decide for yourself.

Wordsworth

Feb 18, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 15
I am also frustrated by supplies of SACD titles in the UK so have resorted to buying SACDs (and DVD-As) from DVDBoxoffice.com which is based in Canada although I think they ship from Sweden. They have great prices which include shipping and a good selection of titles. For example I just bought the new David Bowie album Heathen on SACD for about £12.50 including shipping. Only slight problem is that you have to wait 1-2 weeks on average.
nashi

Feb 18, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 15
All right, looks like the 963's are for me then. When did you tell me this, elnero? I can't recall... Maybe I was pissed at the time. I do log onto head-fi from a variety of places in varied states of sobriety.

Wordsworth, I'm not sure my telly is progressive scan compliant, but I did buy a Sony Airboard for the hell of it... Now to figure out if it can work here!

Feb 18, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Actually all non-lossy digital formats can pretty much encode DC, so low frequencies aren't a problem. They vary in their ability to encode high frequencies, however (up to right below half their sampling rate). This doesn't imply that one sounds better than another however, since there are so many other variables involved.

--Andre

Feb 18, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 15
bangraman...
Quote:

Will a player like the Philips outperform a decent CD player like the Meridian 507 for CD?

...since I don't know the Meridian 507 or any other modern CD players, I can only mention how the 963SA compares with my former transport/DAC combo: Audiolab 8000CDM with Theta Pro basic II or Bel Canto DAC2. No doubt the Philips is clearly better with redbook than the Audiolab/Theta combo, and it's also better if I swap to the Bel Canto. When I use the Philips' digital out to drive the Bel Canto, it's a tough race – I just can't decide which one is better, though there are some minor differences.

So you can imagine how good the 963SA is with CDs. And with SACDs it's even better – it's a new sonic horizon. BTW it has an excellent DVD picture.

As to SACD vs. DVD-A: it will be hard to compare the two formats, because the hardware is also a decisive factor; you can't compare SACD player X to DVD-A player Y and draw any conclusion about system quality; and there's barely any identical, comparable software around. Fact is: DVD-A seems to have better technical pre-conditions in the form of a higher bit depth (resolution) at high frequencies which probably aren't compensated by SACD's much higher sampling rate, which actually is much higher than needed for an adequate reproduction of high-frequency transients. There have been discussions about that, and an interesting link with an excoriating judgement for SACD which actually seemed to be well-founded.

But now that I own an SACD player myself I find the SACD sound just great and more natural than redbook. I guess DVD-A is at least equally good. The decision depends more on the music catalog or the availability of the titles, if not on such a great player like the DVD 963SA which offers hi-rez sound on a very high quality level for little money.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Feb 18, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
All right, looks like the 963's are for me then. When did you tell me this, elnero? I can't recall... Maybe I was pissed at the time. I do log onto head-fi from a variety of places in varied states of sobriety.

LOL, could be.
biggrin.gif

I mentioned back in your DAC thread .
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Just curious if people thought one format was better than the other.

Unfortunately, there aren't any discs that come in both DVD-A and SACD formats, so there's no way to do a direct comparison. Over on audioasylum, the debate over which new format sounds better has raged sinced day one. It has been argued so many times that they recently had to separate the DVD-A and SACD forums to keep the two sides separate and out of each other's way. Suffice to say, there are roughly equal number of supporters on both sides who present equally esoteric technical reasons why one *should* in their opinion sound better. The only real important point is that both formats are substantially better than Redbook.

I have a DVD-A player, and until a couple weeks ago, also owned a SACD player, both of very good quality, so I can give you my very broad general thoughts. To me, the SACDs I have (about a dozen) are a very different beast than my CDs, and DVD-As, notable for the very "analog"-like sound they provide. Compared to Redbook, there's a friendly warmth and smoothness to the sound, a less "synthetic" flavor to the music, a wider soundstage, a bigger sonic pallette capable of rendering very subtle tonal information, resulting in a more "realistic" or "natural" image/presentation. In short, it sounds less like a recording and more like a live event.

DVD-A, on the other hand (I have about 10 discs), is more like "uber-Redbook" or "Redbook on steroids". If you are a detail freak (like me) I think DVD-A provides much more low-level information than I am consciously aware of with SACD. DVD-As in my small collection tend to sound more "crisp" and "hyper-digital" than my SACDs. The penalty you pay for increased resolution of DVD-A seems to be a more "synthetic" sound than SACD, a more "manufactured" signature. You really feel like DVD-A has wrung out every last drop of info from that master tape, but some might feel that it's presentation is far too close to the recording, meaning you are listening more to the original tape than to the music. Some people will like this some won't. Still, DVD-A has more immediate "wow-factor" than SACD, while SACD may be more satisfying over the long haul.

Would these impressions be different if I was using different recordings? Possibly. Would they be different if I was using two different DVD-A and SACDPs? Possibly. So FWIW, those are my general thoughts as to the differences.
Quote:

I'm confused. Will a player like the Philips outperform a decent CD player like the Meridian 507 for CD?

It's doubtful any $500 DVD player should outperform a recently-made $2K+ CD-only machine on Redbook. Although it is possible that SACDs/DVD-As may sound as good on the $500 machine as their Redbook versions sound on the $2K CD-only player.
Quote:

Basically from what I understand SACD and DVD-A have higher and lower frequencies (so you can feel the base (low frequencies are felt more than heard) as well as hear it) and to give you uncompressed (dolby and DTS are compressed multichannel)multichannel audio. So if you have the right setup up with a good AV and speakers you can have the music properly surround you. Probably means investing more money to get that level of sound though.

Yes, SACDs and DVD-As are capable of producing vastly more information at the frequency extremes than CD. However, that's really only about 25% of the value. It's what they do to the rest of the 75% of music that we hear most that is key-- SACDs/DVD-As carry something like 10X or more the information that a CD can carry (I forget the actual number). So there's just more information there, hence more detail, and a more complete, analog-like full-resolution picture in the middle.

You should do a search here, there are dozens of threads on this subject.

Mark

Feb 18, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks Mark, I appreciate your comments. Personally I would have liked to have got a DVD-A player but I don't think there was any decent players that didn'y cost close to a £1000, so I opted for a rated (on this site anyway) SACD DVD player.

Possibly later on I might get a DVD-A player as I love finding detail in music (if that is the case and its not just the particular recording or equipement).

It will be interesting which one come out on top. Honestly my money is on DVD-A as it has more companies signed up to it, the players are getting cheaper, they are going to start selling the DVD-A's at the same price as CD's and it has the word DVD in the name which will appeal to consumers.

my $0.02's anyway.

Wordsworth

Feb 18, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
It's doubtful any $500 DVD player should outperform a recently-made $2K+ CD-only machine on Redbook.

I think the Bel Canto DAC2 is a recently-made CD-only machine (just lacking the transport). I don't say it's outperformed by the Philips, but it's on a very similar level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back