DVD A on computer
Jan 28, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dark Side of the Moon is a hybrid SACD, what you ripped was actually the CD layer.

AFAIK, there is no way to even play an SACD on the computer, let alone copy it or rip it.

I guess my statement should have included "the SACD has a two channel copy available. DVD-A doesn't".

DVD-A is not the same as playing a DVD in the computer and getting sound from it. DVD-A is a hi resolution format. Same as SACD. Some will be hybrid for back compatability. If looking to convert the format to a digital storage medium, can't do it.

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 21
Ripping audio from DVD-Audio discs is confusing for several reasons, most of which have to do with encoding formats. Here's what the standard DVD-Audio disc includes:

1. 5.1 channel surround mix encoded with Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP). This track is only playable on a DVD-Audio player, not on a computer, unless you have a patched version of InterVideo's WinDVD. InterVideo created a version of WinDVD specifically for Creative Labs to bundle with their Audigy 2 cards and up so that Creative could claim that they made the only sound cards legally capable of playing DVD-Audio.

2. 5.1 channel surround mix encoded with Dolby Digital or DTS. This track is a lossy-compressed version of the same mix used for the MLP track. Consider it to be the same as playing a DVD-Video disc in your computer. This is the 5.1 track that all computers with a DVD-ROM drive can play back.

3. 2-channel PCM Stereo Mix. This track is lossless--think of it like a WAV file sitting on the disc. There are no strange encoding algorithms, so this track should be the easiest to play back and rip.

The only problem is finding software designed with this purpose in mind. Usually, the solution is to download DVD ripping software and configure it to only rip the audio tracks, then use a conversion program to change the audio from AC3/PCM/whatever into AIFF or WAV.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by westies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a way to rip DVD-A discs, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about it here, since if it's an encrypted disc, it involves breaking the encryption.

If he is ripping his own DVD then it shouldnt be a problem, since he owns it. He can do with it what he wants as long as he doesnt put it up for free download.

However, i dont know the rules on the board. Could be different then i see it =)

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 21
Basically, you use an app to dump decrypted AOB files onto your computer, rip the rest of the disc, you build an iso and mount it or burn it with discjuggler in dvd-audio mode, then use another app which works in conjunction with WinDVD to dump the unencrypted audio streams. I don't know if I can go into more detail here though. There's a guide I found on another site along with DVDARipper and PPCMRipper, but I don't know if I can post it here. You'd have to get a copy of WinDVD that plays DVD-A's yourself.

edit: In the sticky "Do not discuss illegal downloading or copying":

"5) ways to defeat copy protection or DRM"

I'm going to assume that this would fall under defeating copy protection. You're on your own folks
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 21
I do know how easy it is to get the info and tools off the net so if i really get in the mood to do it i can make it happen.

Also my pc in the living room is sending out the stereo digital pcm 96/24 so if i get my old DAT deck fixed i can record it from there and then do what i want with it. My DAT deck is from the late 80s and is stupid so it will probably record anything into its optical in. I also had a Kenwood Car Audio DAT deck. :)

I'll just keep playing them off my disk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back