DVD A on computer
Jan 27, 2007 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few DVD A disks. Along with the 5.1 channel mix they also have the 2 channel stereo mix.

Is it posible to get the stereo mix off the disk and on my hard drive so i can just play it from there?

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a few DVD A disks. Along with the 5.1 channel mix they also have the 2 channel stereo mix.

Is it posible to get the stereo mix off the disk and on my hard drive so i can just play it from there?

I do not believe you can rip DVD-A to data on your PC. I know you can prob copy it, but you going to be recording into MP3, WAV etc etc.. I know that DAD-A and SACD are hardcore when it comes to piracy. Not that you doing that, just having that much security makes what you want to do really hard.

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 21
:frowning2:

I just wanted it on my hard drive so it right there with the rest of my music.

I did notice programs you can by that will transfer them off into another format but instead of spending 30 dollars to do that i will just put the disks in.

Unless there is a free program round that will do it! :)

Otherwise i will just use my disks.

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not believe you can rip DVD-A to data on your PC. I know you can prob copy it, but you going to be recording into MP3, WAV etc etc.. I know that DAD-A and SACD are hardcore when it comes to piracy. Not that you doing that, just having that much security makes what you want to do really hard.

Ripped my Dark Side of the Moon SACD to itunes @ 320K to ipod. Tags included SACD labeling.
Tried to run a DVD-A. The computer tried to play as DVD but window came up as prohibited.

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 21
I can actually play them through wmp11 although i guess it is playing 5.1 and i only have 4.1 speaker setup.

I also have the ability to copy DVD to disk. All my dvds are on my media center pc. I just wanted to get the stereo tracks off the DVDA so i can play them off my office pc just as i would my regular music.

As of now I have to manually choose the 5.1 setup or it defaults to something that puts static in all chanels but one.

Just simply wanted to have easy access to the stereo tracks.

So why is it that i choose the pcm stereo on my computer i get the static?
Something i should set up to change that?

Generally i play my DVDA in my living room with the AV reciever. Just now only playing around with them on my other computer i use mostly for music and stuff.

Since my speaker setup is only 4.1 i can tell i am missing a channel of information which would be the center channel.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 21
http://www.chronotron.com/content.php?page=downloads

(Free) waveout plugin suposedly captures the decoded bitstream from wmp

I've used it with a hdcd and wmp 10 on a ~ 8 mo old gateway under win xp home

it does create 44.1 24-bit wave files (winamp>file properties)

so maybe you could capture the DVD-a stereo using the waveout plugin

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ripped my Dark Side of the Moon SACD to itunes @ 320K to ipod. Tags included SACD labeling.
Tried to run a DVD-A. The computer tried to play as DVD but window came up as prohibited.

Dark Side of the Moon is a hybrid SACD, what you ripped was actually the CD layer.

AFAIK, there is no way to even play an SACD on the computer, let alone copy it or rip it.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dark Side of the Moon is a hybrid SACD, what you ripped was actually the CD layer.

AFAIK, there is no way to even play an SACD on the computer, let alone copy it or rip it.

Ya, hybrid CD is both normal and SACD =) I agree with werd, i havent seen a SACD player for a PC.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 21
Cool, Will try the plugin mentioned.

Also remember i am talking about DVD A not SACD.

Tried the plugin. With 5.1 it captures the 5.1 and foobar plays PCM4608kbps 48000Hz 6ch. When i play the PCM stereo 96/24 it catures left audio and right static.

Is that what SACD is? 96/24 ?

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun

NO SACD is a NONLINEAR FORMAT in 1bit/2,8MHz
but i guess "ripping" an SACD would be harder than ripping DVD-A as SACD is DSD and not PCM

So is there no common way of SACD and DVD-A playback on a PC?
I was just wondering yesterday, but didn't thinker further as i have neither SACDs nor DVD-As till now

(edited: the source data is 24bit/96kHz PCM but what is printed on your SACDs is nonlinear DSD)

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes SACD is 96kHz/24bit
but i guess "ripping" an SACD would be harder than ripping DVD-A as SACD is DSD and not PCM

So is there no common way of SACD and DVD-A playback on a PC?
I was just wondering yesterday, but didn't thinker further as i have neither SACDs nor DVD-As till now

I can play DVD audio on my PC via the creative software player. I never seen a SACD player for a PC though.

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No. SACD is 2.8224 Mhz / 1-bit. That's why they're so foreign to anything but a SACD player; computers don't "know" how to decode DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back