DVD-A on a computer?
Sep 8, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
I wouldn't be so sure of the "at least as good". Dolby Digital is lossy compression vs. lossless Redbook CD-Audio.

Dolby Digital and DTS usually decode >16bit and are 48khz so I think they're still better than redbook on some account.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #32 of 38
Though Redbook is uncompressed (and therefore lossless to the original information from the ADC) while DTS and Dolby Digital are lossy, and their true resolution (bit depth) relies on the source material and encoder's internal resolution.

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #33 of 38
Well modern original masters or recording from ADC should be at 24bit 48hz or greater so for redbook you'd be loosing quality reducing bitrate and while downsampling. If you made a DTS or AC3 file, you can go straight from those in an easier fashion. Anyway, either is lossy in some regard. I personally would choose the DTS version over redbook since it's higher res. DTS and AC3 also have dynamic range tweaking. They never usually sound clipped.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #34 of 38
The question remains which is worse, compression artifacts from psychoacoustic lossy compression or artifacts from downsampling and reducing bitdepth to Redbook standards. I'd love to try the famous castanets sample with Dolby Digital (AC3) compression
smily_headphones1.gif

CDs sounding clipped has little to do with the format's limitations. 96dB of dynamic range is left largely unused in modern recordings.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
CDs sounding clipped has little to do with the format's limitations. 96dB of dynamic range is left largely unused in modern recordings.

Yes this is an issue with modern recordings that I find more prevalent on redbook discs than DVDs.

Sep 17, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #37 of 38
That is ripping the AC3 tracks, not the lossless high quality DVD-Audio at 24bit/96KHz (or 192KHz for stereo).

"The DVD Audio disc that we bought simply appears to be a DVD Video disc with still images and an audio track."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back