DVD-A on a computer?
Aug 28, 2004 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
It just dawned on me that my computer could probably be used as a DVD-A source. For whatever reason, it never registered with me that my computer has a DVD drive, and software can decode any data on a DVD placed within said drive. So, minor revelation, accompanied by slight embarassment.

Now comes the question. Has anyone tried it out before? Which programs are the best for decoding and outputting the DVD-A signal? I'll be picking up my first DVD-A this Monday, and I want to ready my system for when I get home with the goods! My soundcard is decent, but not spectacular. It can output 24/96 (being an Audiophile USB). I know it won't take full advantage of the 192 sampling rate that DVD-A affords, but meh. I just want ot know what works best on the software side of things.

Aug 28, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 38
Right now, the only software that will output DVD-Audio is WinDVD. There is one caveat: it only works completely, full resolution and all, with the Audigy 2. If you do not have an Audigy 2, protected titles will be downsampled to 48khz/16bit I believe. If you have a title that is not protected by copyright blah blah, you can output it at full stream with any card capable of hi rez playback. In your case, audio is sent through the USB. I have no clue as to whether it will work, there might be something preventing a USB throughput of DVD-Audio even with software. I am not sure. What I am sure about is even if you get it to play, most titles will be protected and you will get downsampling. THe reason being is that the Audigy 2 is the only card that is certified to play DVD-Audio, because it decodes the DVD using its hardware on the card itself. This bypasses any copyright protection whining the RIAA will do. Any other card will need software decoding, and since one can do all sorts of fun stuff with softare, it is limited in the resolution output. It sucks, I know. If I were you, enjoy what you can and don't sweat it.... most DVD-Audio titles really SUCK. I have around 10 titles and a fraction are worth listening to. My advice: go with the classical titles because 1) they are light years ahead in sound quality, and 2) most titles are not copyright protected (AFAIK). Hope I was of some help to you
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 38
That's odd , i tried playing a dvd-A on my Revolution 7.1 with windvd 6 and it gave me an output of 96 khz
confused.gif
it was showing 96 khz sample rate o the Revo's control panel.

Aug 28, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Hope I was of some help to you
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it was very informative, thank you! I'm planning on picking up Bjork's new release on DVD-A (Medulla) because it includes a 45-minute making of video packaged with the album. I'll try out the DVD-A on my setup and post if the USB throughput is blocked or not.

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
it SHOULD be...most copy protections aren't too effective against serious bootleggers.

Actually, it currently isn't. DVD-A discs use a different encryption scheme that hasn't been broken yet, and then there's the compression they use.

EDIT: Also, with WinDVD 6 be sure to enable 24-bit decoding in the audio setup for 24-bit capable cards.

Aug 28, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 38
anyone managed to output DVD-A via a chaintech AV-710 to a Benchmark DAC1
I can't understand why it wouldn't work on my computer.
Just surious, If anyone has then can you describe the settings in your Windvd setup, please

It would help
Regards
Kunwar

Aug 28, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 38
DVD-A works great with WinDVD and NVidia Soundstorm's S/PDIF output to an external decoder. I also tried it out of my laptop Toslink and got 5.1 from the same external decoder. The chip is a SIS 7012. I'm not sure of the resolution, but the channels were "all there" if that is your main concern.

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 38
If you got 5.1 output from S/PDIF it must've been Dolby Digital or DTS.

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
If you got 5.1 output from S/PDIF it must've been Dolby Digital or DTS.

That's why I said "the channels were all there if that is your main concern". It's my understanding that true DVD-A is only available on the analog outs, but I won't say WinDVD does anything special to route it digitally. I've had some mixed results with AnyDVD running, but I didn't want to get all into that. I still think with the right software it's possible.

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
DVD-A works great with WinDVD and NVidia Soundstorm's S/PDIF output to an external decoder. I also tried it out of my laptop Toslink and got 5.1 from the same external decoder. The chip is a SIS 7012. I'm not sure of the resolution, but the channels were "all there" if that is your main concern.

I am doing exactly the same thing except I am using Chaintech AV710
Also for some reason WinDVD does not read the DVD-Audio side of a test disc I have.
this is the same disc that comes with the Becnchmark DAC1
is that the problem?
Even then shouldn't the DVD output be played through the dac.
Any advise would help

Kunwar

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 38
It was my original understanding that true DVD-A can only be run to the analog outputs. As to what a DVDT and a computer can do, I've had mixed results with disabling the audio protection scheme through AnyDVD w/WinDVD running. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Without AnyDVD running I still get the DVD-A indicator, but I can't vouch for the resolution on the digital output. A standard player will indicate DVD-A and then run DTS or Dolby Digital to digital outputs and "true" DVD-A resolution only to the analog outputs. I think this is how WinDVD works, but again, I haven't tested the output resolution on the Toslink or Coax to say otherwise. It would seem an external DAC would tell you right away, but alas, I don't own one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back