DVD-A Mini-Reviews: Contribute!
May 9, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #46 of 63
I have and love the SACD version. Does anyone have both formats, and have an opinion if one sounds better than the other? What video benefits are there in the DVD-A version, and are they worth it?

May 9, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #47 of 63
I find the DVD-A version to be superior to the SACD version. I get more airyness and soundstage with the DVD-A. However, it's a pain in the rear to use DVD-A, given the TV interface. They really need to work on that.

May 24, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #48 of 63
the flaming lips: "yoshimi"

there is a 2 disc (redbook & dvda) set that moderately priced. the dvda features stereo and 5.1 mixes.

the stereo mix is the same as redbook, but with the increased frequency and detail of 24/96. the redbook seems hazy in comparison.

the 5.1 mix (i used dts) is really fun, with extra production (new synth, instrument, percussion lines added) and swirling, orbitting lines. it sounds as if it was produced ground-up for surround.

extras:
some nice videos and psychedelic visualizations of the music, as well as lyric sheets.

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #49 of 63
I finally got around to picking up this DVD-A. I'm between 5-10 years off of the peak of my Grateful Dead listening days, but I still enjoy a listen now and then. The CD of Workingman's Dead -- if memory serves -- was no marvel of acoustic delight, but this DVD-A is simply amazing. It's so good that it makes you almost painfully aware of the Grateful Dead's musical shortcomings, particularly with vocals. Nonetheless, this is a pretty amazing DVD-A.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #50 of 63
To keep this short and sweet the DVD-A version is much more lively sounding, has more sparkle, and makes the redbook version sound lifeless and flat in comparison. Easily a no-brainer purchase!

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I find the DVD-A version to be superior to the SACD version. I get more airyness and soundstage with the DVD-A. However, it's a pain in the rear to use DVD-A, given the TV interface. They really need to work on that.

i use a toshiba portable dvd-a that has a widescreen lcd. just pop the disc in, no muss or fuss. but i agree, even so they do need to work on the format's ui and standardization.

i picked up krall and the london symphony dvd-a and it is very lush and detailed. you can even hear the minute sounds her tongue makes and her breath on the mic.

Jul 25, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #52 of 63
I just got this today and it's one of the very few DVD-Audio titles that has a 24bit/192KHz stereo layer. It's utterly fantastic! I'm glad that I read this thread and picked up this title. This is one of those that will wind up in my heavy rotations.

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #53 of 63
I got the Eagles Hotel California on DVD-Audio. It is one of the few that have up to 24bit/192KHz stereo. So far, it sounds much less digital and upfront as the HDCD version which I also own. It has a much more relaxed and serene type of sound that draws you in. I hate to say that it sounds like SA-CD or analog but that's my impression so far. High bit rate and sampling frequency DVD-Audio kind of lets the music just flow through more naturally. I enjoy this classic album.

Oct 21, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #54 of 63
I just bought Elvis - 30 #1 Hits.

The sound quality is awesome, but What, the disc OPENS with a dance remixed "bonus track". Sounds completely out of place. Otherwise the disc is great, but that first track ruins it.

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #55 of 63
Big recommendation here, especially if you're a drummer like me.

It comes with three audio tracks: PCM2.0(48k/24), DTS 5.1 (96k/24), and DVD-A (96k/24). Personally, I think the DTS and DVD-A tracks sound very similar; the DVD-A may have a bit broader soundstage, but for the most part, this album is visceral and in-your-face. Sounds particularly good on Klipsch equipment IMO (RF-3 series).

Upon first listen, I instantly added it to my small collection of benchmarks, up there with Bob James' "Obsession," and Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over."

May 23, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #56 of 63
My favorite DVD-AUDIO titles:

AIX RECORDS, Stravinsky & Ravel: Firebird Suite/Bolero TO DIE FOR!!!
AIX RECORDS, Debussy, Glinka & Others: Music for Solo Harp TO DIE FOR!!!
AIX RECORDS, Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No.6 in F Major, Op.68 'Pastorale' TO DIE FOR!!!
The Eagles, Hotel California 192kHz/24bit AWESOME!!!
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds 192kHz/24bit GORGEOUS SOUND!!!
Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road MY FAVORITE DVD-AUDIO MUSIC
The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 5.1 192kHz/24bit SPECTACULAR DISC

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #57 of 63
Resurrecting this thread...

Jackson Browne - "Running On Empty"

I'm old. I had this ablum on vinyl in the late 70's, and it was one of my favorites for a long time. Many, many years later, long after I had eschewed the black wax for smaller, shiney discs, I replaced my old copy with a newer, (supposedly) "better" version. Yet, for some reason, on CD it never became more than an occasional listen.

Today, I chanced upon the CD/DVD-A version of this ablum in a local brick-&-mortal record store. Since I now have a DVD-A player that can feed a 192khz/24-bit hi-rez digital signal to my Benchmark DAC1, I decided to pick it up (among several other CD & DVD-A purchases, of course
wink.gif
).

This is a two disc package. The first is the redbook CD (not reviewed), while the second is a DVD-A disc containing a (rare) 192kHz/24-bit 2-channel version, a 96kHz/24-bit 5.1 surround-sound version, as well as a Dolby DTS 5.1 version. The super-high rez stereo version was my main point of interest, as I had never heard one before. The DVD disc also has two new songs not present on the original or current redbook.

I spent the better part of this evening comparing my previous CD version with the DVD-A. First listening to the DVD-A completely through, and then comparing a few songs directly. At first the DVD-A seems a bit bassy, and the vocals a bit laid back. But upon more extensive listening & comparison it is more "right", imo. The DVD-A has an expansive soundstage, in both width & depth. It seems as if the micing for this version was done differently (and more correctly) than the original (?). Instrument & singer stage placement is very natural, giving the feeling you are there at the concert yourself, perhaps several rows back on the floor. Layering & separation has all the details just right. Correspondingly, while the CD sounds a bit punchier, with vocals slightly more forward, its soundstage is flat & far more constricted, while missing the details & subtle layering of the DVD-A.

Where the CD makes you go "Ho-hum, I guess that was 'nice'.", the DVD-A makes you want to go back to listen again & again to re-experience it. If you are Jackson Browne fan, and have a DVD-A player, get this yesterday!

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #58 of 63
Great thread... I hadn't seen this one before.

I don't have a multi-channel system right now, so these reviews are only for the two-channel PCM stereo tracks. Most of the sonic benefit is the result of increased bit-depth, which yields more accurate dynamics. The majority of contemporary DVD-A releases (ex. the Porcupine Tree DVD-As) only contain a 24-bit/48kHz stereo track.

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
DVD-Audio Side:
5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/96kHz)
2.0 PCM Stereo (24-bit/96kHz)
1.0 PCM Mono (24-bit/96kHz)

DVD-Video Side:
5.1 DD (24-bit/96kHz)
5.1 DTS (24-bit/96kHz)
1.0 PCM Mono (24-bit/96kHz)

Sounds very good, considering its age. I've never heard the album on anything but DVD-Audio, so I don't have a comparison. Lots of different listening options.

Beck - Guero

5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/48kHz)
2.0 PCM Stereo (24-bit/48kHz)

Subtle improvement from the redbook version, from what I can tell. I haven't done in-depth listening yet.

Beck - Sea Change

5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/88.2kHz)
2.0 PCM Stereo (24-bit/88.2kHz)
Videos - 5.1 DD (24-bit/88.2kHz)

A nice improvement from the redbook version, which was released in HDCD. Very high sound quality with great instrument definition. The first Nigel Godrich DVD-A! Since it was recorded to tape, I'll make a comparison with the SACD at some point.

Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat

5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/96kHz)

A good example of the increase in dynamic range a DVD-A can bring. More breathing room and spatiality.

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (DualDisc)

5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/48kHz)

It's nice to see more mainstream groups adopting high-res formats, even if it's technically not a standalone DVD-Audio release. With Teeth even comes with a 24/96 stereo track. Some very expansive drum sounds on this one, especially in high-res.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/48kHz)
5.1 DTS (24-bit/48kHz)

Edge detail and transients sound improved. More microdynamics. Acoustic tracks like "Lazarus" seem to receive the most benefit.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/48kHz)
5.1 DTS (24-bit/48kHz)
2.0 PCM Stereo (16-bit/48kHz)

A great PT album made even better by a high-resolution release. Beautiful, beautiful mixing. Acoustic guitars sound super-crisp, drums sound tight, bass sounds deep. Revision: I've been listening to the stereo mix, which is actually only 16 bits! The only difference is a slight increase in frequency response. *shrug*

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (2005 Remaster)

5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/48kHz)
5.1 DTS (24-bit/48kHz)

The one instance where a direct comparison can be made because both the CD and DVD remaster (presumably) were created using the same final mix. Improvements all around in the DVD-A, especially when the mix starts to get busy. It's easier to hear individual vocal harmonies, for example.

R. E. M. - Automatic for the People

5.1 DVD-A (24-bit/48kHz)
5.1 DD (24-bit/48kHz)
5.1 DTS (24-bit/48kHz)

Ahh... An early-'90s mix with minimal compression. Contemporary listeners might find a mix like this to sound unpolished, but with performances like these, who can argue? The DVD-A brings the listener one step closer to the master tape, and in turn, the actual recording studio. Of particular note are the vocals, which aren't hard-limited--they contain actual dynamics, even between words! Unheard-of in the current mixing climate.

Steely Dan - Gaucho

I can't remember if I have the CD for this one or not. Either way, a nice crisp Dan production. Horns sound great and benefit from the extended high-frequency response. (Format information to come later.)

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beck - Sea Change

A nice improvement from the redbook version... I'll make a comparison with the SACD at some point.

I'd be curious to hear a comparo between the two, as I have the SACD and wonder about picking up the DVD-A. TIA.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be curious to hear a comparo between the two, as I have the SACD and wonder about picking up the DVD-A. TIA.

Ah, I forgot to mention that the Sea Change DVD-A includes a bunch of videos, many of which are actually worth watching (unlike the silly ones on the regular edition of his new album The Information). So, probably worthwhile to pickup both.
icon10.gif

I don't actually own the SACD at the moment, but I'll probably pick it up at some point, and then I'll do the comparison. I figure it'll be a lot easier to judge than SACD vs. DVD-A of older albums like Gaucho, since the recording is already of higher fidelity. SD fans, pretend I didn't say that.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back