DV 3322 amp smell
May 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

taisho

100+ Head-Fier
When I first turned on the amp, it emitted a distinct smell...kind of like the smell of plastic, but I got used to it and after awhile the smell dissipated.  However, the real problem is that I have come down with a persistent dry cough. I went one day without the amp being on and my cough went away. I was just wondering if anyone had this same problem. I'm still testing it out...going to see any improvements in my cough by not having it on for three days. I'm aware of China's lack of environmental regulation so who knows what the hell is in this crap. If my cough acts up after three days, I'll probably put it up for sale and I am going to look for something in equal value because it has only about 20 hours on it.

May 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 6
When I first got my Ming da amp for the bedroom, I noticed a smell similar to what you described. But after a while, it went away. It may have been the tubes perhaps since they where NOS. These days I have no odor problem with my sexy tubes

May 21, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 6
For sure...i'm just a little worried just 'cause of the circumstances are so coincidental; me coughing while the amp is on. Maybe I just have sensitive lungs :\

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 6
I am always somewhat weary of using Chinese-made amps.  They are not exactly environmentally conscious in their sourcing.  Most of these DIY-style amps (that's most including DV and Audio-gd) have not been properly tested and certified for importation into the US and may not have complied with all US standards for product of this nature. (more established brands like MF, Shanling and Cayin probably all have their stuff tested and approved by the relevant US regulatory agencies)   

Purely educated guess here about the Chinese DIY amp makers.  But since I have worked in an import/export capacity before, I know regulations are there for a reason.

Edit: forgot about the smell: yes 332 had burned plastic smell as well.  I didn't notice any smell when I tried 337 or 336SE, but that's probably because I was more concerned with auditioning at the time.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 6
The patriotic side of me would love to deny that, but I am sure that chesebert has a point. The regulatory scene in China is certainly... interesting, but inadequate in many ways. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back