Dusseldorf Meet Impressions (March 17, 2007)
Mar 18, 2007 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dexdexter

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I missed out on the fun, but I'd sure like to hear all about it!
wink.gif

Already spotted some nice photos on the German forum here:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-110-4682.html

So any Headfiers who made it, don't hold out on us!
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 14
Looks like they had a great meeting.
It seems like there only were dynamic headphones around though.
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 14
22.JPG

Must have been a good meet. I spy Jecklins and Ergos in the photos. The pre-thread said there would be two HE90s there too iirc.

Looking forward to head-fiers impressions.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Jan Meier tried to get the Orpheus from Sennheiser but the timespan was too tight.

A guy who wanted to bring along some electrostatics cancelled his participation...I forgott why.

I am at work right now so I can't make a full size statement.

But I have to say it was a very nice meet. Excellent organisation, very friendly atmosphere and not too many people around. The backgroung volume level was a little high but this is a know problem and nothing that disturbed me much at all.

...but personally it was a very expensive meet for me. I now have to get an opera and an AD2K...
rolleyes.gif

icon10.gif

m00h

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 14
Hello,

yes, the meet was very nice indeed. I missed some sleep the night before...

The guy with the Stax headphones who had to cancel his participation did so because he would have had only two hours or so after his arrival back from the States. He was not just a "no show"...

Congrats to the organisation team!

Kind regards from Cologne

Norbert

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by norbert:lehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The guy with the Stax headphones who had to cancel his participation did so because he would have had only two hours or so after his arrival back from the States. He was not just a "no show"...

Oh, now that you mention it...of course.
rolleyes.gif

I shoudn't browse head-fi at work...
tongue.gif

Here are some fotos with nice impressions of the meet:
http://www.messingerdesign.de/hifi-forum/

...there is a small navigation on the left side.
I overlooked it the first time!
eek.gif
icon10.gif

m00h

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the link, m00h!

Looks like it was a great meet with a nice variety of gear, however from that set of photos one might be tempted to think they were giving out K-1000s at the entrance!
k1000smile.gif

And this one in particular is just too good not to post here:

picture-38.jpg

I hope I can make the next one!

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 14
This is my first post here at Head-fi, so hello everyone!
Quote:

The pre-thread said there would be two HE90s there too iirc.

Just a few word to the Orpheus: There was a member of the German Hifi-Forum claiming to have lots of Hi-End-Headphones such as the Orpheus. Unfortunately, he cancelled his participation a few weeks before the Meet. As far as I remember, everything was a little bit to "big" for him. Maybe next time...

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for the link. You can tell that some of the attenders are having a great time. He he

Quote:

Originally Posted by sai-bot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my first post here at Head-fi, so hello everyone!

sai-bot, welcome to Head-Fi!
May you have pleasant stay, and spend lots of money...
lambda.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 14
I have heard or read that the guy with the Orpheus just canceled because there was no liability for damages...

It was a great experience, anyway. Personally:

The best:

Rik's rig= K1000+AVM preamp+Vincent SACD with tube output+power amp (can't remember which, sorry!)

Detailed, rich, incredible bass, tight, deep, controlled... nice mids (although a bit analytical, maybe) and great highs. I found out I am specially sensitive to high freqs, so it was just a bit too much for me, but probably it was sounding very even over the whole range.

The worst:

Macintosh cd player + macintosh amp + K1000.

I found the sound very digital, no bass at all. And this rig would cost over 20k euro!

I was specially interested to get an amp for my HD650, and tested it with Lehmann's amp, since I had the feeling it would be the right thing. Sorry Norbert, I was not so impressed. It did sound better than my stereo amp (Cambridge Audio Azur 640 v1), but I wouldn't pay the price for the improvement. The bass was tighter, but also thinner, and the soundstage felt smaller. Although the overall sound quality was better, these issues were putting me off. And I had big expectations!

Then I turned to tube amps, and I found I was liking it more. First I tried a chinese amp from Leon G&W t-2.6f) 300? euro and sounding great. But I felt I could do better. I tried another two, 1300 euro each (one was the diabolo, can't remember the other name). This was really great, but quite off my intended budget at the moment. The great thing is that I could use it for my stereo with loudspeakers as preamp...

I could also finally listen to some grados, the rs1 actually. I liked them a lot, but found them fatiguing. They are a lot of fun to listen to, but I wouldn't be able to listen to them for several hours. I did not like any closed headphone (maybe I am claustrophobic...). I found the audio technica's in the themeninsel sounding too flat and lifeless, as were the beyers.

Quite impressive the demonstration of the surround system with the stax headphones (who said there were no electrostats?). It really worked!

I brought with me most of my "toys", but with such beasts there, my stuff was pretty much "mid fi"
frown.gif
Anyway, at least somebody listened to my cd player and IEMs :)

I spent in total about 130 euro, but I guess it saved me more in terms of trial and error!

The only negative aspect was the loudness around. I think people could try to talk quieter... But who am I to critizise, being a loud spanish :)

BTW, you can thank me... I was the one who found Jan Meier asking directions in the street
cool.gif
I actually did not recognize him :blush: but I saw he had the map showing the location of the meet...

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Hello people of the meet!

Thanks for impressions, but I found them a bit shortcoming. Miss some impressions about different set ups.

As I can see there were a lot of interest in Dusseldorf, but what gets the most of my attention is that AKG K1 was the THING, isnt. Almost on every picture I see is someone who listen to them, COOL
k1000smile.gif

Also a lots of amps, but where are the phones
confused.gif
We need more pics and impressions guys, come on write some up
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back