Duran Duran (wooo!)
Apr 7, 2011 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

veggiop

New Head-Fier
Wasn't sure weather or not to put this in rock or pop but yeah, great band, never seen them talked about on here before so i thought I'd give them a look in, wild boys, hungry like the wolf, Rio, sound of thunder etc. great stuff, any fans? 
favorite songs and so on...

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 10
seven and the ragged tiger, one of the first albums I bought (tape) and I loved union of the snake.  Got the best of DD knocking around somewhere on CD.
Good band, not heard any of their latest stuff

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 10
Love 'em! I grew up with New Wave. I ignored the genre for years, but have been steadily building a collection of the music. I still enjoy New Wave, and it really takes me back. The great thing is that most of the CDs are pre-Loudness War and are recorded well. You'll also find quite a bit of it on vinyl, too. This is the only genre where you'll find good vinyl and nice CD mastering - and it's cheap, too.

Shame that Duran Duran (and the genre in general) are mostly ignored these days. New Wave broke from rehashed classic rock and disco to offer a first take on electronic music. A lot of it is interesting, clever, and free of clichés. It was a breath of fresh air for rock during the 80s. Hardly anyone listens to it today, but it reminds me a lot of the music from the 50s when rock was just getting established (I like that, too). There's a certain innocence, optimism, and "not taking itself too seriously" that I rarely see in today's music.

I'd like to see a rediscovery of Duran Duran and the rest of New Wave, but I don't know if it will happen. Everyone is so deadly serious these days. Camp is unknown and even comic books are treated like Hamlet. Though if it does happen, I'd like it to be after I round out my collection with $2 CDs and cheap vinyl. :D

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 10
Heard a few of the songs from their new album on a live performance on YouTube and they weren't too bad, especially considering the few I had heard from the last two albums (I genuinely thought (Reach Up For The) Sunrise was done by S-Club 7 or some other come and go pop group, until recently).

And I'm with Uncle Erik on this one; doesn't have to be serious (pun intended, if anyone gets it). Favourite song? Hard to call, but I'll put The Reflex down for it right now.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 10
I thought their new joint was mediocre save a couple of songs. It had all the usual pop tropes, plus the sleazy seemed faux and forced. That is one thing about DD, at their best, they're earnestly sleazy, akin to say Soft Cell and Depeche Mode. Take Hungry Like the Wolf, for example c'mon. 

Anyway, love me some Duran Duran though, especially The Wedding Album South. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back