Durable $100 phones for gym use and on the train
Mar 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

My brother is looking for one and has asked me for a a recommendation. I've been out of the loop for quite a while and never even looked at phones with this criteria. He has been using a senn cx-300 (I hope I spelled that right) and was also happy with the hd-25 (cable failure unfortunately put it out of service).

Besides the obvious need for durability and noise isolation, I don't know what phones are good in this price category.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 8
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the link. My bad for missing the sticky (and for posting hastily on the bus).

Plenty of good suggestions on that link and I have picked the Etymotic MC5, Brainwavz M2 and Hifiman RE252 for him to choose from.

I don't exactly know his sound preference but I think he's happy with most of anything (as long as it does not stray too far from 'mainstream'). I was going to also recommend the RE1 (or was it 0) but I did the same for a friend before and he found its bass too little/light.

Durability is likely more important as he will be moving around with it, at work and for the gym.

Any owners of these phones care to chime in on my choices?

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the link. My bad for missing the sticky (and for posting hastily on the bus).

Plenty of good suggestions on that link and I have picked the Etymotic MC5, Brainwavz M2 and Hifiman RE252 for him to choose from.

I don't exactly know his sound preference but I think he's happy with most of anything (as long as it does not stray too far from 'mainstream'). I was going to also recommend the RE1 (or was it 0) but I did the same for a friend before and he found its bass too little/light.

Durability is likely more important as he will be moving around with it, at work and for the gym.

Any owners of these phones care to chime in on my choices?

Thanks!

RE252's discontinued long before the RE262/272s, and very hard to come across (unless you've already found them). Highly recommended, one of the most balanced IEM's I've tried in a long time. Rather strange ergonomics and not too positive on the build. Same would go for the MC5, it's bassier than the other Etys but if they didn't like the RE0, they won't warm up too much to these. M2 would probably be the best suited out of the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back