Dunu-Topsound Studio?
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #451 of 664
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #452 of 664
SA6 impressions:
A lot’s been written about these iems already, and it was that critical mass of positive opinion that persuaded me to indulge myself (yet again)! To all the reviewers and posters out there and here, well done, you were not wrong...this is a very well put together set that really impresses on pretty much every level I can think of.

Build, fit (they’re not small, but they’ve got curves in all the right places), finish, packaging, tip selection (more on this later), the cable, the case: 10/10.

Sound:
This, of course, is where things get interesting, because unlike any other set I own, where only one type of tips really works properly for my ears (and it’s invariably an aftermarket type) Dunu’s tips are so well engineered that each style can be considered a tuning in its own right, and they’re all awesome.
The first ones I tried (having picked up on positive vibes earlier in the thread) were the blues; in summary, I’ve named these the intensity tips because of the sheer depth of detail and energy they convey. I’ll restrain myself from profanities but it’s tough to describe how I felt without resorting to them. Suffice to say the adrenaline started flowing fast. Expect lightning fast dynamics, effortless layering and separation, whiplash percussion, huge soundstage and real bite across the whole frequency spectrum. 30 minutes of high volume listening later and I was a quivering wreck.
On to the black and blue cores, after a brief test of Final Es (killed the dynamics), and here’s where I found my personal sweet spot and could actually relax into the music rather than feeling like I was jacked into the mains supply. The blues are there for when maximum performance is required, the blacks, with their narrower core, add just a touch of diffusion to the treble, sweeten the mids and subtly expand the bass. On the subject of bass, the SA6s really make me question whether there’s any meaningful distinction between BAs and DDs for Dunu, not once have I felt there was a lack of texture or extension to the low end, and imaging is all wall to wall undertone with maybe a touch more note density and a touch less transparency than a DD would provide. Bottom line, if you crave fast bass, the Sonion drivers deliver in spades.

These are my second pair of Dunus after the DK-2001s, and though they’re markedly different in their tunings I’d venture that they share a couple of key characteristics - soundstage expansion and separation are excellent on both, that out of head 3 dimensional experience that the 2001s have is replicated with even more width on the SA6s. Even more than a decent tuning, which I kind of expect is a given at this level, I need whatever psychoacoustic wizardry goes into the soundstage design for that all enveloping feeling when listening to music, and I’m really pleased with these on both fronts - their presentation is impeccable balanced, airy and nuanced.

After all the incredible close up shots I had to zoom out for mine :upside_down:. Big thanks Dunu for smashing it with this design and somehow exceeding my massively overblown expectations.

original_5b386245-de95-4f32-a5ce-0b9e60d325e3_IMG_20210202_130547-01_Original.jpeg

PS, even though I consider myself a borderline basshead the atmospheric immersion setting was not for me. Black tips give me all the slam and rumble I need.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #453 of 664
I've been using the SA6 everyday.

Pros:
- Most comfortable IEMs I ever owned. Used them for 7 hours straight. Zero fatigue, zero discomfort. I'm using xelastec tips.
- Very clean, airy sound. Best instrument separation I ever heard. Every music sounds beautiful.
- Best BA bass I ever heard. It's impactful when needed. Very accurate. Sounds better than a lot of hybrids and DDs.
- Best IEM cables. They aren't prone to tangling and they don't irritate my skin like some cables do. Easily swappable plugs a welcome bonus.
- Unique faceplate colors for every piece. Aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing.

Cons:
- Shallow nozzle. Could be a pro or a con depending on your ear geometry. All stock tips don't fit my ears properly, neither do Final E tips nor Spiral Dots. Not even foam tips. Only Xelastecs fit, and thankfully they fit perfectly.
- Atmospheric Immersion / bass switch will surely make bassheads smile, but they're a bit too much for me.
- Cable cinch feels like an afterthought.
- No cable clip/holder.
- Unique faceplate colors for every piece.

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #454 of 664
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #455 of 664
On the subject of bass, the SA6s really make me question whether there’s any meaningful distinction between BAs and DDs for Dunu
Hi @illumidata , is the SA6 bass better than DK2001? What about the vocal and clarity?

Thank you

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #456 of 664
💖 Dunu SA6 just landed 💎

IMG_20210205_165554_687.jpg9955091.jpg
You have been rewarded with the most beautiful color and pattern I have ever seen on a pair of SA6. Damn, it's beautiful. Congrats!

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #457 of 664
You have been rewarded with the most beautiful color and pattern I have ever seen on a pair of SA6. Damn, it's beautiful. Congrats!

thank you 💖💖💖 , i like the color so gorgeous and sounds fantastic 💃

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #458 of 664
Hi @illumidata , is the SA6 bass better than DK2001? What about the vocal and clarity?

Thank you

The easy one to answer is clarity (or detail/resolution/layering, whatever you want to call it), which definitely goes to the SA6, no surprises given the number of drivers and tuning.

In terms of which has "better" bass this is going to be subjective, but objectively, SA6 has more sub bass extension (rumble, though it's very controlled, not loose at all), 2001 has more mid bass quantity, and will sound more textured as a result of that emphasis and have more physical impact (slam). The trade off is in micro details and layering, SA6 takes it there but I'd struggle to say which is more satisfying to listen to given the tuning differences - let's just say 2001 overall is warmer and more relaxed, with more decay. SA6, despite having less slam sounds more massive and atmospheric.

Vocals - I'd like to spend more time thinking about this as I've been heavily focussed on instrumental music since I got the SA6s but 2001 definitely has more of an upper mids lilt to its presentation (no judgement, just a tuning observation). They are going to suit different things, I will update with some examples and comparison notes if you want - feel free to nominate some test tracks!

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #459 of 664
The easy one to answer is clarity (or detail/resolution/layering, whatever you want to call it), which definitely goes to the SA6, no surprises given the number of drivers and tuning.

In terms of which has "better" bass this is going to be subjective, but objectively, SA6 has more sub bass extension (rumble, though it's very controlled, not loose at all), 2001 has more mid bass quantity, and will sound more textured as a result of that emphasis and have more physical impact (slam). The trade off is in micro details and layering, SA6 takes it there but I'd struggle to say which is more satisfying to listen to given the tuning differences - let's just say 2001 overall is warmer and more relaxed, with more decay. SA6, despite having less slam sounds more massive and atmospheric.

Vocals - I'd like to spend more time thinking about this as I've been heavily focussed on instrumental music since I got the SA6s but 2001 definitely has more of an upper mids lilt to its presentation (no judgement, just a tuning observation). They are going to suit different things, I will update with some examples and comparison notes if you want - feel free to nominate some test tracks!

Thank you so much for your prompt response and detail information.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #460 of 664
Just got a set of 2-pin DUW02 cables to use with my SA6 and wow, for me at least the lighter weight has made them even more comfortable. The shells/IEMs were comfortable but the 03 cable was a bit heavy for my smaller ears but the 02 cable is perfection!

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #461 of 664
Just got a set of 2-pin DUW02 cables to use with my SA6 and wow, for me at least the lighter weight has made them even more comfortable. The shells/IEMs were comfortable but the 03 cable was a bit heavy for my smaller ears but the 02 cable is perfection!

i used Custom 4 Braid 28 AWG UP-OCC SPC Litz 4.4 by Verus Audio to my Dunu Studio SA6. Love the lightness combo 💖
1612802632965-01.jpeg
IMG_20210204_210842_713.jpg

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #465 of 664
I find the cable from the SA6 package to be great. What differences do you find with yours with the original cable?

it's lighter, more comfortable, used specific higher quality cable material including 2pin and permanent 4.4mm jack 💖

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back