DUNU TITAN 1 Review by mark2410
Apr 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #31 of 60
Aren't these just earbuds disguised as IEMs and marketed at those too who are too snobbish to like earbuds?

Me, I'll take a good earbud over an IEM any time. Need the air to make music sing.

well they do stay in your ears and they arent painful to wear like buds often are.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #32 of 60
well they do stay in your ears and they arent painful to wear like buds often are.

I guess. Never had painful earbuds or an issue with them staying in my ears myself, but I suppose some people have ears which might not be that compatible.

Having said that, I would assert that What IEMs might gain in security of fit and comfort they lose in sonic fidelity over earbuds. Seems common sense to me that having mini speakers next to your ear holes is going to be better than shoving tubes into them.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 60
Try the Titans. Then repost. Practically guarantee you'll have a change of mind.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #35 of 60
See if someone in your area has a pair - and if they mind you listening to them.  Or get yourself to a local Meet.

The thing that made me comment was this:

Aren't these just earbuds disguised as IEMs and marketed at those too who are too snobbish to like earbuds?

Me, I'll take a good earbud over an IEM any time. Need the air to make music sing.

I take it that you have had very little exposure to IEMs (especially in a bracket $75+).  And I'm not being snobbish - just trying to understand where you are coming from - as you list nothing in your profile.  I've also heard plenty of earbuds - some really quality ones too. And I'd take IEMs over most of them any day.  The Titan (with its additional venting) gives quality sound, a measure of isolation, plenty of air, and better bass than most earbuds can deliver.  It's also a lot more comfortable.

And no - the Titans are IEMs with additional venting.  They are designed to seal in the ear canal.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #36 of 60
I guess. Never had painful earbuds or an issue with them staying in my ears myself, but I suppose some people have ears which might not be that compatible.

Having said that, I would assert that What IEMs might gain in security of fit and comfort they lose in sonic fidelity over earbuds. Seems common sense to me that having mini speakers next to your ear holes is going to be better than shoving tubes into them.

I agree with what others posters have said.. try the titan1's and then report back. Btw, I am just now getting into earbuds for the first time and am enjoying them very much. But that doesn't detracrlt from how great the titans are.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #37 of 60

Is there a way to try without buying? Not got much money spare these days.

agree with those that posted above, its quite secure once you get the right eartip, it has a nice spacious sound while at the same time i think its quite dynamic sounding too, 

the thing with earbuds is that because they don't have a silcone tip (its a one size fits all kinda thing) or you can add that foam cover on top. and unfortunately not everyones ears are the same, so some people might have issues of it not staying secure and flopping around even with the slightest movement and such

this is just imo! of course (i find iems just more secure overall)

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #38 of 60

lol well......

burn in has ever been a contentious issue.  for the longest time i didnt believe in it but a couple things made me think otherwise.  (C751 and IE7)  but being not an idiot im aware there is an element of brain tuning and as to how much is one or the other i cannot tell.  so therefore with a lack of conclusive evidence its nonsense i err on the side of it exists and give everything a bun in of at least 100 hours.  if for no other reason than to placate any one from saying oh but you didnt burn it in, it needs it blah blah blah. 

the other thing is simply that as burn in makes no money for anyone i dont see anyone having a vested interest in promoting the concept.  unlike say Russ Andrews and his magical £10'000 power cables.

Apparently a DUNU rep may have mentioned in passing that the Titans required burn-in.  Spyro actually went out of his way to inquire - especially after the figure of 200 hours seems to be making the rounds 
rolleyes.gif
.  Here is his post:

It actually makes even more sense if they are Titanium coated drivers.  But sadly it won't stop the usual people forging along with claiming hundreds of hours burn-in required, and it also won't stop the susceptible believing it and perpetuating the myth.

Interestingly enough - the Havi B3 Pro1 was another earphone that was supposed to change after hundreds of hours of burn-in.  I was fortunate enough to have a brand new one and a much older one at the same time.  I queued both up, same source, same files, volume matched (didn't really need it - because both of them were within 0.3 dB at 1 kHz) with a proper SPL meter and used a splitter so I could switch quickly.  No difference.

My conclusion - unfortunately you'll never stop the "phoolery" on these forums.  Most of the time its easier to ignore it.  Less pointless debates.  Still grates me though when I see someone who has "read about burn-in requirement" then tell someone new to the forum that it is required, and yet another misinformed Head-Fier is born.

sorry guys i didn't mean to redirect the thread in a different direction.

i think its totally fine if @mark2410 gives everything a 100 hr burn in, while for me i just listen to them straight out the box 

this burn in theory is always going to be an endless debate, and i'm pretty sure there are threads specifically for that. 

but nonetheless, i for one am enjoying what i'm hearing from the titans 1 now, dynamic, fast, punchy and exciting. (i'm kinda itching to find a full sealed equivalent) with a similar sound (maybe a smidgen less treble energy, but not a bit deal) ---> even at the cost of a spacious soundstage 

any thoughts guys?

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #39 of 60
Hi Tom

Check this one out - http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-delta-dual-hybrid-iem/reviews/12845

There is a comparison with the Titan further down the page.

KS campaign is here : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/157887895/trinity-audio-engineering-audiophile-grade-in-ear

Mark also has the Delta, so he can give you his view.  They are different - but share a similar overall tonality.  Might be what you are after 

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #40 of 60
Hi Tom

Check this one out - http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-delta-dual-hybrid-iem/reviews/12845

There is a comparison with the Titan further down the page.

KS campaign is here : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/157887895/trinity-audio-engineering-audiophile-grade-in-ear

Mark also has the Delta, so he can give you his view.  They are different - but share a similar overall tonality.  Might be what you are after 

What i didnt reply earlier? I swear i hit send.... anyways thats a very interesting read! I love that u can alter the sound signatures on the fly. Basically a "all in one". No need to get multiple iems then.

Do u know if they are going to making More filters in the future to supplement the ones included?

I think i read torz - not sure the name is doing that for their pair ( those have 5-7 different configurations now)

Definitely the deltas are something im going to look into, the sound of the titans hit my preferred *fun* sweet spot,

but i tried them at mcdonalds the other day and found myself turning up the volume quite a bit, even then i could still hear the kids crying in back cause they didnt get the toy they wanted from their happy meal.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #41 of 60
Do u know if they are going to making More filters in the future to supplement the ones included?

Bob hasn't mentioned anything.  I guess if there was enough demand for a certain type of signature - but at the moment  the 3 he has on the Delta cover things pretty well IMHO.

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #42 of 60
Sir..
Im a student.
I listen to acoustics and new song (rnb love song)
In sound quality who is better please rate over 10, 10 is highest.
Here is my top pick
dunu titan 1/fiio ex1
Sennheiser momentum iem
sennheiser cx 3.0 & 5.0

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #44 of 60
I haven't heard the Momentum IEMs or CX500.  I did hear the old model CX300 and thought they were garbage.

Personally - I rate the Titan 1 / EX1 very highly (for my tastes)  I believe they even compete favourably with earphones in the $150-$200 bracket.

The problem is - before making any recommendation - we'd need to know what your tastes are.  Do you prefer a darker or brighter presentation?  Are you treble sensitive?  Do you need high isolation, or  is this not a deal breaker?  Do you like a lot of bass?  What earphones have you heard so far (or headphones), what did you like about them, and what didn't you like?

Once we get a little more info it will be easier to make a recommendation.

Sir..
Im a student.
I listen to acoustics and new song (rnb love song)
In sound quality who is better please rate over 10, 10 is highest.
Here is my top pick
dunu titan 1/fiio ex1
Sennheiser momentum iem
sennheiser cx 3.0 & 5.0

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #45 of 60
@Brooko sir..
When youre outside and have few cars running. can you still enjoy the sound of dunu titan 1 and im using just normal galaxy android dont have amps or hd player

Just Brooko or Paul will do.  I don't even call my Dad (he's almost in his 80's) sir
wink.gif

I have no problems using the Titan outside as long as there is not too much ambient noise.  I have used them for exercise often - especially when I need to be aware of what is happening around me.  Just remember though - NZ roads have far less traffic, so our ambient street noise likely to eb a lot less than what you have.

If high isolation is a definite "must" - then maybe you might be better to look at something other than the Titan/EX1.

And they don't need amping.  They are pretty good out of a smart phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back