DUNU TITAN 1 Review by mark2410
Mar 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 60
  Hello Mark.

I know you own the Triple Fi10s and you love them.

I also used to have them being my absolute favourite IEMS ever. I don't have them anymore though and I'm in a search for a similar sounding IEM.

I mostly listen to rock, hard rock and smooth jazz.

Will the Titans fit my taste?

will the fit your tastes, yeah id think they would but while on paper the titans are tf10 like, spacious, v shaped they are waaaaay less power hungry and they dont isolate anything like as much as the 10s do. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #17 of 60
Thanks Mark.

That isolation thing is enough to put me off as I'm planning to use them in my day to day commutes.

As you are a TF10 owner and as I know how much you love them, which IEM would you suggest that does sound similar?

I have also asked you elsewhere in case it slips your attention. :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #18 of 60
  Thanks Mark.

That isolation thing is enough to put me off as I'm planning to use them in my day to day commutes.

As you are a TF10 owner and as I know how much you love them, which IEM would you suggest that does sound similar?

I have also asked you elsewhere in case it slips your attention. :)

hmmm.

same V shape and a large sound stage.   erm id think ith W3 or now the W30 should be similarish.  maybe the Dunu's or the T-peos ranges too arent a bajillion miles away.  though  they both tend to have more focused mids than the tf10 did.  the IE8 / IE80 would be similarish but again its not a great isolator. 

read up on Dunu and T-peos i say.  doh and by Dunu i mean the 900, 1000 and 2000.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #19 of 60

Right now I'm reading reviews of the Altones but it doesn't seem very easy to get a pair right now. Are they going to be available any time soon?

I throw in the W3s and W30s as well as you advise and I'll have a read on their performance too. I didn't look at the Westone side, as I've always considered their IEMS a bit overpriced in the terms of value/performance.

Yes, I'm after something like from a milder U-shape to a more prominent V-shape with a large soundstage. This is exactly what I'm after and I'm really happy I have decided what I like the most after so many years experimenting with in ears.

Right now, I mostly use 2 IEMs: The Shure SE215 and the cheap Brainwavz Deltas. Some would probably want to kill me, but I think I like the Deltas sound much more!

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #20 of 60

hmm odd that T-peos have gotten hard to get.

yeah the westones arent going to be such  good value for money as the Dunu's are, so you may want to focus on their other 3 i mentioned though you dont get BIG soundstage untill the 2000.  lol, there was a good reason the tf10 was a top teir still after all the years its been about.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #21 of 60
Yeah, I'm also in the UK and I can't find any retailer selling the Altones. If you have anyone in mind just give me a shout! :)

Only those who owned the TF 10s can feel my pain... I regretted it many times selling them a couple of years ago.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 60
  Yeah, I'm also in the UK and I can't find any retailer selling the Altones. If you have anyone in mind just give me a shout! :)

Only those who owned the TF 10s can feel my pain... I regretted it many times selling them a couple of years ago.

normally my go to is ebay, if something is available its normaly there too but i dont see them either. 

have you looked around the for sale forum?  you might find a TF10 going.

or like i said before, the other Dunus the 900 being most v shaped could be the closest to what your after.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #23 of 60

normally my go to is ebay, if something is available its normaly there too but i dont see them either. 

have you looked around the for sale forum?  you might find a TF10 going.

or like i said before, the other Dunus the 900 being most v shaped could be the closest to what your after.

Thanks for all the advice Mark.

I'll do a search about the DN-900 although, if I'm right, your review of those doesn't justify the relatively small price difference between them and the superior Dn-1000.

In the meantime, I ordered a pair of RE400 and I'm giving away my SE215. When these are sold, I'll get one of the Altones, DN-1000 or VC1000 as an alternative to the RE400s.

I've only got to find used TF 10s over the past couple of years, most of them being quite heavily used and rediculously overpriced. Remember, these
legendary IEMs had the worst cable ever in the iem world and were also a bit easy to break around their small 2-pin sockets. That being said, I'm quite hesitant in buying them again used, except if I find them at some point by a well reputable headfier.  

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #24 of 60
  Thanks for all the advice Mark.

I'll do a search about the DN-900 although, if I'm right, your review of those doesn't justify the relatively small price difference between them and the superior Dn-1000.

In the meantime, I ordered a pair of RE400 and I'm giving away my SE215. When these are sold, I'll get one of the Altones, DN-1000 or VC1000 as an alternative to the RE400s.

I've only got to find used TF 10s over the past couple of years, most of them being quite heavily used and rediculously overpriced. Remember, these
legendary IEMs had the worst cable ever in the iem world and were also a bit easy to break around their small 2-pin sockets. That being said, I'm quite hesitant in buying them again used, except if I find them at some point by a well reputable headfier.  

hey np, its what this place is for.

oh and i so hear abut the tf10 having a sucky cable.  its one of only two IEM's ive ever had the cable go on.  thankfully its easy fixed but still, ergonomic that thing wasnt.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #25 of 60
@mark2410 it seems the treble seems to be a issue for you hm.... i'm hearing a treble peak upon first listen but, its quite crisp (similar to the jvc fxt90s) maybe a bit less so 

but i think tip rolling will definitely help (i will try some complys on them to see if they make a difference)

but it makes for a nice unboxing experience

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #26 of 60
  @mark2410 it seems the treble seems to be a issue for you hm.... i'm hearing a treble peak upon first listen but, its quite crisp (similar to the jvc fxt90s) maybe a bit less so 

but i think tip rolling will definitely help (i will try some complys on them to see if they make a difference)

but it makes for a nice unboxing experience

well ive always been quite treble sensitive so i tend to not be wildly keen on loads of treble.  you know though there are people out there who are treble sensitive too so as long os your familiar with how i hear things in relation to how you heard things it all works out good. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #27 of 60
  well ive always been quite treble sensitive so i tend to not be wildly keen on loads of treble.  you know though there are people out there who are treble sensitive too so as long os your familiar with how i hear things in relation to how you heard things it all works out good. 

after listening to it a bit more today, i hear it as well, i'm not sure if the word "metallic" is the right word (for me anyway)

it has a sort of a "cutlery" (like a butter knife kind of metal, which is probably essentially the same thing anyway). its more apparent with female vocals and some cymbals i recall. 

i feel it gives it a sort of lively, or a vivacious sound (i do think the comply t400s help smooth it off some) and i love the comfort of complys but not a fan of its durability and price (its a bit impractical cause you have to hold it a few seconds, and you can slip in and out easily) nonetheless thats another topic

but its really fast sounding from what i'm hearing, i think it can rival the speed of the vsonic gr07be, but with a more of a midbass bump for some more added fun factor, while having good clarity (i suspect from the lack of resonance with the metal housing) its quite clean for such a bassy set.

i've been hearing some mentioning about the burn in period (especially for these guys and their titanium drivers and such) not sure about that though

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #28 of 60
Apparently a DUNU rep may have mentioned in passing that the Titans required burn-in.  Spyro actually went out of his way to inquire - especially after the figure of 200 hours seems to be making the rounds 
rolleyes.gif
.  Here is his post:

DUNU themselves told me there would be little to no change with burn in with the type of driver it is.  That is always good to know.

It actually makes even more sense if they are Titanium coated drivers.  But sadly it won't stop the usual people forging along with claiming hundreds of hours burn-in required, and it also won't stop the susceptible believing it and perpetuating the myth.

Interestingly enough - the Havi B3 Pro1 was another earphone that was supposed to change after hundreds of hours of burn-in.  I was fortunate enough to have a brand new one and a much older one at the same time.  I queued both up, same source, same files, volume matched (didn't really need it - because both of them were within 0.3 dB at 1 kHz) with a proper SPL meter and used a splitter so I could switch quickly.  No difference.

My conclusion - unfortunately you'll never stop the "phoolery" on these forums.  Most of the time its easier to ignore it.  Less pointless debates.  Still grates me though when I see someone who has "read about burn-in requirement" then tell someone new to the forum that it is required, and yet another misinformed Head-Fier is born.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #29 of 60
  Apparently a DUNU rep may have mentioned in passing that the Titans required burn-in.  Spyro actually went out of his way to inquire - especially after the figure of 200 hours seems to be making the rounds 
rolleyes.gif
.  Here is his post:

It actually makes even more sense if they are Titanium coated drivers.  But sadly it won't stop the usual people forging along with claiming hundreds of hours burn-in required, and it also won't stop the susceptible believing it and perpetuating the myth.

Interestingly enough - the Havi B3 Pro1 was another earphone that was supposed to change after hundreds of hours of burn-in.  I was fortunate enough to have a brand new one and a much older one at the same time.  I queued both up, same source, same files, volume matched (didn't really need it - because both of them were within 0.3 dB at 1 kHz) with a proper SPL meter and used a splitter so I could switch quickly.  No difference.

My conclusion - unfortunately you'll never stop the "phoolery" on these forums.  Most of the time its easier to ignore it.  Less pointless debates.  Still grates me though when I see someone who has "read about burn-in requirement" then tell someone new to the forum that it is required, and yet another misinformed Head-Fier is born.

lol well......

burn in has ever been a contentious issue.  for the longest time i didnt believe in it but a couple things made me think otherwise.  (C751 and IE7)  but being not an idiot im aware there is an element of brain tuning and as to how much is one or the other i cannot tell.  so therefore with a lack of conclusive evidence its nonsense i err on the side of it exists and give everything a bun in of at least 100 hours.  if for no other reason than to placate any one from saying oh but you didnt burn it in, it needs it blah blah blah. 

the other thing is simply that as burn in makes no money for anyone i dont see anyone having a vested interest in promoting the concept.  unlike say Russ Andrews and his magical £10'000 power cables.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #30 of 60
Aren't these just earbuds disguised as IEMs and marketed at those too who are too snobbish to like earbuds?

Me, I'll take a good earbud over an IEM any time. Need the air to make music sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back