dunu dn2000 vs astrotec ax60 vs westone w4/3
Aug 13, 2014 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

roughington

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so here's the situation my parents are away on a weeks vacation and they left me the key to the brand new Porsche would they mind well of- different story...

But on a more serious note my friend is parting with some of his collection of iems because he needs to free up some space what mainly caught my eye are the ones in the topic, but here is the kicker he wants about 200-250 for any of the ones listed and I can't choose , he is giving me first dibs on anything I am willing to buy so time is of the essence please help me head-fiers

Oh also I mainly listen to hip hop, classical, game sound tracks, electronic music's of all kinds , indie / alt rock and just a splash of top40 music on a blue moon I really like the SS on my hfi 780 but headphones are impractical a lot of the time

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 17
Westone 3 or 4 - but $250 is a bit high - $150 for the 3's - maybe $250 for the 4's.

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 17
I'll definately talk to him about pricing for those two in particular but do you have an thoughts on the other two or what one might be best for me , obviously I would like to optimize price to performance/enjoyment but I also would like to help him out as much as possible ya know?

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 17
I haven't heard the others - although I was at first very interested in the AX60 when it came out - it was supposed to be a K3003 close for a quarter of the price - but when they got in people's hands, many were underwhelmed - then all of the sudden their price seemed pretty high - almost $400 for a so-so performer. I had the DN1000 and liked it a great deal - but the treble was a little hot for me - the 2000 would probably rectify the issues I had with it - but I have gone on to make other purchases so I haven't revisited it....

I think if you can get a good deal on the Dunu or the Westones, you really can't go wrong...

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 17
Will he let you trial them? I have the dn2000, I think some things you have to consider is that it isn't that forgiving, can seem flat or lifeless if you don't use it with euphonic equipment, has some boosted bass, and rolled off highs, might not be your cup of tea. Its strong points are accurate soundstage and mids imo.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 17
He is currently out of town but I was pnning on giving them a run but my concern is that I don't think spending an afternoon spread over several iems is enough time find if one of them is truely perfect, but how is the isolation on the iems listed I wouldn't dare work out with them but I do travel a bit and I would like to not need to bring full sized headphones with my if possible, also I was thinking about getting some brainwavz b2 or something like them maybe the astrotec ax7 but once he gave me this opportunity I figured spending like 2 times as much for something with superior build quality would be more worth it in the end

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 17
Will he let you trial them? I have the dn2000, I think some things you have to consider is that it isn't that forgiving, can seem flat or lifeless if you don't use it with euphonic equipment, has some boosted bass, and rolled off highs, might not be your cup of tea. Its strong points are accurate soundstage and mids imo.

Don't really know what you mean with euphonics my daily driver is an HTC one m7 (don't hurt me) with 256k and up files mostly

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 17
euphonic=musical, enjoyable. A lot of people like audio reproduction but for musicality, and the dn-2000 is meant to be analytical and not inject musicality, so it may be a turn off for people who expect musicality, not unembellished sound signature. At the same time, it does have boosted bass and muted highs, so in that sense it is not neutral, but I think most people would not call it "musical".

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 17
I never did Like the ety ss I wonder how they compair I'm no music professional but I do want to know what the music was supposed to sound like but if it lacks some character like you say I think I'd have to look elsewhere thanks for the input

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 17
Haven't tried Astrotec ax60, so cannot comment on it.
But between DN2000, Westone 3 and Westone 4, I clearly choose DN2000.
I had Westone 4 for more than a year, and sold it. Tried Westone 3 a few years back, and currently own DN2000.  To me DN2000 is way better.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 17
Haven't tried Astrotec ax60, so cannot comment on it.
But between DN2000, Westone 3 and Westone 4, I clearly choose DN2000.
I had Westone 4 for more than a year, and sold it. Tried Westone 3 a few years back, and currently own DN2000.  To me DN2000 is way better.

I can agree with that. DN-2000 would be my choice over both Westone models.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 17
How is the isolation and long term comfort of the dn2000 and wow I pull the attention of some major fi-ers woo

We all have different ears. For me, i have no comfort issue with DUNU. Basically i seldom have any comfort issue with any IEM :)

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 17
Fair enough I think I might stay away from the ax 60 because I got the much lower priced ax35 from mass drop a bit ago and found the highs too sharp at times and the mids just lacked anything that makes me want to write home about. I from what I have read astrotec likes that kind of ss but I don't know if that applies to the ax60 or the dual hybrid ax7. Are there any other iems out would recommend that have a similar ss to the dn2000 so I can see if he has anything that might interest me I'd like the options to be under 300ish if I can help it.

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 17
The dn2000 has a wide nozzle, for people with small ear canals it can be painful. Make sure you make use of the accessory silicone stuff to reduce contact of the metal protrusion to your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back