DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Nov 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,441 of 2,123
I'm pretty sure I put them on correctly based on MasterChef' post. I found the driver flex that they caused to be too distracting. I actually like these just the way they are. I was telling someone else that I must be immune to (or half deaf) sibilance. I found after some brain burn in that the treble went from a bit harsh to crisp, clean and accurate. (maybe some electronic burn in as well) It's awesome that they have improved the sound for you guys.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,442 of 2,123
You're exactly the same as me KC.  No sibilance, upper mid-range is perfect.  They are bright and clean and clear, and the bass is perfect as is.  And the rings just add unnatural heft to the bass (for my preferences) and definitely add flex.

2000J "au naturale" for my preferences 
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,444 of 2,123
  I also slightly prefer it without it except when using any form of crossfeed. I am using Jriver's crossfeed a lot and the bass ring compensate nicely for the slight loss in bass. 

I've experimented with JRiver's crossfeed a bit but in the end found it tiring to my hearing, perhaps because of the bass loss. I'll try it again with bass rings. Thanks!

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,446 of 2,123
I got these today. it sounds about what I was expecting it to be and Dunu has definitely improved the quality of their cables since the last time I tried their iem. I can understand where people say these have too much treble. I used to own the CK10 and after having that iem in the past, these are nothing. If I have issues (which I don't after 5 minutes of listening) I can fix it with using different tips.

I wish these cable with a slider of some sort above the Y split (easily fixed so no big deal) and the L/R marking prevent me from being able to insert deeper for better isolation (or I need to get used to them). I had my spinfit tips but it seems the tip is too thin for me to use comfortable. No big deal as it didn't cost that much and I can sell two of them since they weren't used. My "go to" tips in the past were the single flange tip from the TF10 and also the meelec biflange tip so I'll try them when I get home later. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,447 of 2,123
  I wish these cable with a slider of some sort above the Y split 

Have a close look at the Y-split.  The slider is there :)

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,448 of 2,123

Have a close look at the Y-split.  The slider is there :)

...lol I thought that was part of the y split! Obviously my glasses have failed me...

Well now I have nothing to complain about. The build quality seems good (at least it looks good) and the package with all the accessories and such seems good. I'm going to have to use these for a few weeks straight and see how they compare to my SE846 afterwards. If all goes well these could replace them since I haven't gotten around to getting a source that is better than my phone that will take advantage of the capability of the SE846. I'm guessing these may fall in the same category but they are much cheaper and I can pocket $400 or so.

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,449 of 2,123
  ...lol I thought that was part of the y split! Obviously my glasses have failed me...

Well now I have nothing to complain about. The build quality seems good (at least it looks good) and the package with all the accessories and such seems good. I'm going to have to use these for a few weeks straight and see how they compare to my SE846 afterwards. If all goes well these could replace them since I haven't gotten around to getting a source that is better than my phone that will take advantage of the capability of the SE846. I'm guessing these may fall in the same category but they are much cheaper and I can pocket $400 or so.

the 2000J's are also pretty revealing about your source and source material quality. take the money saved and put it towards your source. get a geekout v2 or a fiio player or something so you can truly enjoy these phones.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,450 of 2,123
  the 2000J's are also pretty revealing about your source and source material quality. take the money saved and put it towards your source. get a geekout v2 or a fiio player or something so you can truly enjoy these phones.

Take a look at Rawrster's profile - pretty sure he knows what constitutes a good source 
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,451 of 2,123

Take a look at Rawrster's profile - pretty sure he knows what constitutes a good source 
wink.gif

woops. just read his post that he has nothing better than his phone as a source right now. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,452 of 2,123

Thats the spirit ; )

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,453 of 2,123
If it counts my dac for my home rig is a pretty decent source :)

As far as going the dap route, I went through that in the past and using a phone is so much more practical for me. It's also pretty decent and from my experience and luckily for me it has an output impedance under 1 which is good for the SE846 and also for these iem's. I may or may not get a dap in the future but if I do it won't be for a while. I do have a Fiio X1 that I picked up for cheap last week. I was a bit underwhelmed but more because the previous owner had low quality mp3 and poor recording files on it so it sounded like crap. I do need to buy a micro SD for it and those 128gb for $45 sounds like a great deal. The 200 GB for $99 is also a good price but still pretty expensive. It's unlikely the SE846 will go anywhere though. They just sound so good and the ability to change the sound with filters really appeal to me. 

I did some experimenting with tips I have and it seems this biflange tip I use with it seems to be the best. I think it came with the Brainwavz M2 but not sure. The grey stock tip with the foam inside also works well.

A quick update: I tried these at work as well as my commute today. I really like these iem's. They sound very good with my better recorded songs and not as good with the poorly recorded stuff which is similar to the other stuff I own except the Brainwavz M2 (it sounds bassy and good with everything). The isolation isn't that great but I haven't tried the bass port which is supposed to increase isolation as well as bass. The only thing I wish was that the iem housings were a bit smaller which would help me with isolation but that's just me. The sound signature is very close to the reviews and overall discussion of the iem. it is slightly prone to sibilance however since I haven't sat down and focus on just listening I don't know if that is from poorly recorded songs that are prone to sibilance or if it is just that. I'm guessing it's somewhere in between since the sibilance seems to be one of the things that is discussed with this iem. 

A bit OT but with all of these iem's priced competitively where I see "this iem/headphone punches above it's price point" i wonder what kind of capability one should expect from these price points now. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,455 of 2,123
Unless you have monster ear canals, the housing is going to stop them going too deep.

As far as insertion goes, IMO it will be relatively shallow due to the housing width - and this is where tip selection is crucial to ensure you have the correct seal.  That is where you will need to experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back