DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Oct 29, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,321 of 2,123

I can buy them for 360e (almost 400$) in Europe. Do you think that I should go for it, or is it better to wait for the new model or add some money and go the CIEM route?

if it helps, know your sound preference. The people on this thread are definitely happy (they got what they specifically wanted). 

Not all (for example), mind you! This thread isn't massive so I recommend reading it before making any purchase decisions.

I really don't think the DN-2000J is for everyone, but if it meets your basic sound signature preferences I think it's mind-blowingly-awesome! 
etysmile.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,322 of 2,123
  If you listen for a particular difference, chances are very good you'll hear it, but I'm convinced its all then in your head. A blind test (which is basically impossible to conduct in a safe way) is the only reliable way to tell whether there's a difference or not. Did you try the Philips Golden Ears MP3 artifacts challenge? If so, did you nail it immediately, or did you have to practice first? If you haven't done it I recommend it. It's quite entertaining!

Well, can't argue with that! 
wink.gif

I can easily notice the difference from my Dell XPS Touch 15 laptop output vs the Geekout V2. This is with the Senn Momentums, haven't tried A/B listening with and without the DAC with my Dunu's

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,323 of 2,123

If you listen for a particular difference, chances are very good you'll hear it, but I'm convinced its all then in your head. A blind test (which is basically impossible to conduct in a safe way) is the only reliable way to tell whether there's a difference or not. Did you try the Philips Golden Ears MP3 artifacts challenge? If so, did you nail it immediately, or did you have to practice first? If you haven't done it I recommend it. It's quite entertaining!

Well, can't argue with that! 
wink.gif

I can easily notice the difference from my Dell XPS Touch 15 laptop output vs the Geekout V2. This is with the Senn Momentums, haven't tried A/B listening with and without the DAC with my Dunu's

I believe you! I'd never even consider a laptop output with any of my IEMs. Think I've tried once or twice (a three year old DELL latitude) and it was just hissing inferno. Very close to unbearable!
Anyway, my post was in response to differences between various compression levels of MP3 files, or so I thought!? 
confused.gif
 I truly believe only a handful of people on this planet would be able to tell the difference between 160 kbps VBR AAC files and a lossless files, and they would all be under the age of about nine years old. Oh, and I don't buy in to arguments of the type: "I did a blind test (!?) and I swear to god the difference between my 320 kbps MP3 files and my FLACs files is huge like a mammoth"

That said, and in all humbleness, my conviction could possibly stem from my somewhat crummy hearing (at least in the context of being surrounded by audiophiles with perfect hearing). I suffer from low level tinnitus, a slight hearing impairment on my left ear, plus age related hearing loss: 20 Hz - 12 kHz. Oh well, I'm pretty happy anyway, especially while listening to my DN-2000J!
etysmile.gif
 ​

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,324 of 2,123
I believe you! I'd never even consider a laptop output with any of my IEMs. Think I've tried once or twice (a three year old DELL latitude) and it was just hissing inferno. Very close to unbearable!
Anyway, my post was in response to differences between various compression levels of MP3 files, or so I thought!? :confused:  I truly believe only a handful of people on this planet would be able to tell the difference between 160 kbps VBR AAC files and a lossless files, and they would all be under the age of about nine years old. Oh, and I don't buy in to arguments of the type: "I did a blind test (!?) and I swear to god the difference between my 320 kbps MP3 files and my FLACs files is huge like a mammoth"

That said, and in all humbleness, my conviction could possibly stem from my somewhat crummy hearing (at least in the context of being surrounded by audiophiles with perfect hearing). I suffer from low level tinnitus, a slight hearing impairment on my left ear, plus age related hearing loss: 20 Hz - 12 kHz. Oh well, I'm pretty happy anyway, especially while listening to my DN-2000J!
:etysmile:  ​

Well then. Since I have "young" ears, that might make a difference. No issues yet, and I can still hear up to 19.5khz

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,325 of 2,123

Anyway, my post was in response to differences between various compression levels of MP3 files, or so I thought!? 
confused.gif
 I truly believe only a handful of people on this planet would be able to tell the difference between 160 kbps VBR AAC files and a lossless files, and they would all be under the age of about nine years old. Oh, and I don't buy in to arguments of the type: "I did a blind test (!?) and I swear to god the difference between my 320 kbps MP3 files and my FLACs files is huge like a mammoth"

etysmile.gif
 ​

Well then. Since I have "young" ears, that might make a difference. No issues yet, and I can still hear up to 19.5khz

Yes, I guess it very well could! Enjoy it while you can, and take care of your hearing. I didn't! 
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #1,327 of 2,123
  I can buy them for 360e (almost 400$) in Europe. Do you think that I should go for it, or is it better to wait for the new model or add some money and go the CIEM route?

what did you decide to do?

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #1,328 of 2,123
So I really had high hopes for my first pro level IEM. I was seeking a replacement for my Audiotechnica ATH-M50x as I travel more with camera gear and I need a smaller form factor. After reading a lot of the reviews I picked up a set of Dn-2000j but right off the bat i was disappointed as I found them to be way too bright and shimmery - even after some burn in and switching to foam tips. I tend to listen to my music at full/ max volume and I couldn't at all with this IEM. Backing it down to where I felt the treble was bearable I felt that the mids were quite recessed.

I can't deny that the separation and "high def" is quite impressive, and the bass is some of the best defined I've ever heard. That being said these weren't the right IEMs for me.

I'm looking for a recommendation. If you can give me the ATH-M50x in IEM form I'd be happy so a balanced signature with some bass emphasis, warm mids, crystal clear trebles. My music taste is varied from singer song writer, to indie rock, pop, r&b and edm. I love strong bass as long as it's tight and not muddy.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #1,330 of 2,123
What'd you do that caused that?

I believe playing the violin for hours every day for about 10 years without any hearing protection, and shooting a gun without hearing protection. Also, when I was young (and immortal) I used to listen to headphones at insane levels. I used music at insane levels as a drug. No more!!!

I'm actually somewhat surprised how well my hearing works despite all abuse over the years. These days I'm extremely careful with my hearing and I wear hearing protection more often then I really need to, but better safe than sorry. I want to preserve what hearing I have left which - thankfully - is quite a lot. I must say I felt both surprised and rather happy when I passed the Philips' Golden Ears Challenge.

Oh, and when listening to IEMs I am meticulous about setting the volume so that I don't exceed the necessary levels to able to hear everything. With the DN-2000J that means very low volume which is definitely one of its features that I appreciate the most.

I can really recommend Etymotic Research's Electronic Earplugs. A bit expensive (about $300 I believe) but they are designed to only cut harmful sound pressure levels which means that you can even communicate by whispering as long as the surrounding SPLs allow it. Only downside is you need to change the batteries once in a while and that they have a slight hiss (which most "normal" people wouldn't notice anyway).

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #1,331 of 2,123
I believe playing the violin for hours every day for about 10 years without any hearing protection, and shooting a gun without hearing protection. Also, when I was young (and immortal) I used to listen to headphones at insane levels. I used music at insane levels as a drug. No more!!!

I'm actually somewhat surprised how well my hearing works despite all abuse over the years. These days I'm extremely careful with my hearing and I wear hearing protection more often then I really need to, but better safe than sorry. I want to preserve what hearing I have left which - thankfully - is quite a lot. I must say I felt both surprised and rather happy when I passed the Philips' Golden Ears Challenge.

Oh, and when listening to IEMs I am meticulous about setting the volume so that I don't exceed the necessary levels to able to hear everything. With the DN-2000J that means very low volume which is definitely one of its features that I appreciate the most.

I can really recommend Etymotic Research's Electronic Earplugs. A bit expensive (about $300 I believe) but they are designed to only cut harmful sound pressure levels which means that you can even communicate by whispering as long as the surrounding SPLs allow it. Only downside is you need to change the batteries once in a while and that they have a slight hiss (which most "normal" people wouldn't notice anyway).

Dang man, you got ears of steel if they survived shooting a gun with no protection ( :O) on top of violin AND loud music. !!!!!

I only occasionally blast my ears if I am listening to the right song at the right time, it just can't be avoided. If you listen to an epic song at high volume when you're in the right mood it just gives you this rush that is so addictive XD

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,333 of 2,123
So I really had high hopes for my first pro level IEM. I was seeking a replacement for my Audiotechnica ATH-M50x as I travel more with camera gear and I need a smaller form factor. After reading a lot of the reviews I picked up a set of Dn-2000j but right off the bat i was disappointed as I found them to be way too bright and shimmery - even after some burn in and switching to foam tips. I tend to listen to my music at full/ max volume and I couldn't at all with this IEM. Backing it down to where I felt the treble was bearable I felt that the mids were quite recessed.

I can't deny that the separation and "high def" is quite impressive, and the bass is some of the best defined I've ever heard. That being said these weren't the right IEMs for me.

I'm looking for a recommendation. If you can give me the ATH-M50x in IEM form I'd be happy so a balanced signature with some bass emphasis, warm mids, crystal clear trebles. My music taste is varied from singer song writer, to indie rock, pop, r&b and edm. I love strong bass as long as it's tight and not muddy.

You should have a listen at DN-1000.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,335 of 2,123

I agree with your impressions, and that's why I stress not to buy this phone unless you're pretty sure this kind of signature is what you prefer. The foam tips very marginally tones down some of the brightness, but it doesn't change the basic signature one bit. And yes, the DN-2000J is incompatible with high volumes making it close to unbearable.

That said; at the right (low) volume this phone cleans my ears and revitalizes my soul! 
etysmile.gif

Hm... I'd recommend you try the HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2, seriously and not just because I'm selling it.

EDIT: You might want to read up on the Fidue A83 too, but I'm not sure you're looking for a hybrid, and you might find its treble too intense as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back